Factory Prices General thread

Regardless, it is yet another setback here for the beef industry and will be used as a tool to stem any potential price rises that may have been coming in the next few weeks, another summer of cheap cattle for them by the looks of things. Hard to understand why the Chinese market was for prime beef cattle really considering some of the other things they eat over there.
unfortunately we are slaughtering about 5k cattle less each week for nearly 8 weeks now, I havn't looked at the supply side in along time to see whats going on here. As usual the higher the slaughterings in the first half of the year the better. Lads around computers (cant talk about lads around the rings anymore:lol:) seem to be very very optimistic for the autumn trade. I still think a base around 3.40 will be were it will be at. another year on the dole for us I reckon :scratchhead:. Aslong as we can all meet our repayments we will be winning as I fear people in arrears, will be thrown to the wolves this time around

unfortunately we are slaughtering about 5k cattle less each week for nearly 8 weeks now, I havn't looked at the supply side in along time to see whats going on here. As usual the higher the slaughterings in the first half of the year the better. Lads around computers (cant talk about lads around the rings anymore:lol:) seem to be very very optimistic for the autumn trade. I still think a base around 3.40 will be were it will be at. another year on the dole for us I reckon :scratchhead:. Aslong as we can all meet our repayments we will be winning as I fear people in arrears, will be thrown to the wolves this time around

I cannot for the life of me understand the optimism for the autumn trade this year of all years considering how low slaughter numbers have been with the Covid 19 crisis for the last few months. The weanling sales could be tricky for the suckler men this autumn I feel also but then again, I have predicted that for a number of years now and they haven't been too bad at all so who knows.

If this dry weather keeps up I think we will see a lot of cattle moved to factories from early summer onwards just like in 2018. This will have a big impact on prices too. It's a tough one to call. Hoping for to have better prices but realistically can't see them much better than 3.40 either. Glad to have the bulk of cattle sold for 2020. Have a few to slaughter in the coming weeks and then just store heifers to sell at the back end. Like you, if we can meet repayments, we will be OK.

What weight gain or ADG would you expect for a continental steer over the first 3 months out to grass? I have 24 month simmentals that have done 100kg+ in the last 75 days on grass alone. I have never been weighing properly before and I didn't thing they would do this well in such a short time?

What weight gain or ADG would you expect for a continental steer over the first 3 months out to grass? I have 24 month simmentals that have done 100kg+ in the last 75 days on grass alone. I have never been weighing properly before and I didn't thing they would do this well in such a short time?

Would you be experiencing a bit of compensatory growth there after letting them out I presume? Great April and May weather wise for stock it has to be said.

Would you be experiencing a bit of compensatory growth there after letting them out I presume? Great April and May weather wise for stock it has to be said.

They were pushing 530 to 550kg when they were let out. Was planning to keep them till August, but will probably put the feeder with them next week for a month and get them off to the factory after that.

They were pushing 530 to 550kg when they were let out. Was planning to keep them till August, but will probably put the feeder with them next week for a month and get them off to the factory after that.

Simmentals as a breed tend to weigh very well, sound like nice cattle, best of luck with them.

Cattle go through periods of super thrive, lulls and plateaus. the last 75 days have been close to as ideal grazing we have ever gotten. I would be surprised with such weight gain given the weather and also having grass

Is 370 for heifers wildly available. Was quoted 360 for heifers last week but didn't try around.

Are there weight restrictions being applied at that price? Are you having any issues getting bulls away?
Weight not an issue when they're half Fresian, 320 is what the most of them would be. Never had any issue with ABP, they seem fairly anxious if anything. Disappointed with the price tbh, thought another 10c might be there. Only selling the ones at the age.

Back