Farmland and environmental protection

Discussion in 'Farmland and Environmental protection' started by gone, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Bog Man

Bog Man Well-Known Member

This is a square with wildflowers in it. I mow it during the winter and rake the cuttings off to reduce the fertility . It used to be a messy area now it is a messy area that is good for pollinators.
    5C0299BF-BE62-45F1-A0D1-67A8E759CB77.jpeg B14673CC-E2BF-48E9-BFB7-75FF050D759F.jpeg 76A8933E-9870-4754-9A96-76EC13334A17.jpeg FDF9E175-FE2C-45A6-AA59-74DCAAA388DB.jpeg

2. KTM Farmer

KTM Farmer Well-Known Member

Question for the Agronomists on here. I have sown wild bird cover for GLAS for the past 3 years in two plots, Seed is premixed by Bright Seeds UK bought locally. Four species, Triticale, Linseed, Mustard and Phacelia. The first year it had fantastic colour and all four seemed to grow well. However last year it was mainly the triticale grew and the rest barely showed at all, I put that down to the drought. This year they all seem to be starting all right but i have a lot of weeds. I have been afraid to spray it because of the risk of killing off any of the four. Any advice on a cheap spray to use that will be able to kill weeds but not affect any of the four mentioned?
    First photo is July Year 1, second and third photo are current state with the weeds. Any advice welcome.

Attached Files:

3. Soissons

Soissons Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but I think you are not allowed spray any pesticides on wild bird cover , only to kill it off after the end date

4. KTM Farmer

Thanks Sissons, I had been going along those lines including no fert but now feel the crop would be better without the weeds. Open to other views.

5. Soissons

Soissons Well-Known Member

I have been using that mix from Bright Seeds as well for the last two years but this year replaced one third of the seed with John’s Delight which is the same as the GLAS mix but includes poppy ,crimson clover ,gold of pleasure (whatever that is ) and cornflower for added brownie points!

6. KTM Farmer