Feeding Rolled straights

What's in it? (I'm not being smart).

I have gone through dockets for ration and nuts and added it up and I gain nothing by going for a mixed ration or a nut (other than during the summer when a nut won't go off too quickly). When I buy rolled barley, that's exactly what I get. When I buy a nut or a ration I get all of this extra stuff which is cheaper to buy than grain such as distillers or mollasses. These are processed so they also weigh much heavier than barley. The last bags of ration that I was buying as creep feed for weanlings, we were asked to bring the labels to our discussion group meeting. Mine and most others feeds contained between 7% and 10% ash. Where's the feeding in ash that's bound together by mollasses? There might be a bit of feeding in the mollasses, but some of the stuff in these mixes are just filler.

Cost wise, I'm probably working out about the same as yourself. But I have a convenient way for storing and feeding the rolled barley. It's easy to handle. And I'm supporting a local small merchant who buys direct from farmers.

But I can tell you that I fed my weanlings last year with rolled barley & wheat & soya & minerals in the creep. I never had weanlings do so well.

Attachments

• IMG_3043.JPG
    IMG_3043.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 46
What's in it? (I'm not being smart).

I have gone through dockets for ration and nuts and added it up and I gain nothing by going for a mixed ration or a nut (other than during the summer when a nut won't go off too quickly). When I buy rolled barley, that's exactly what I get. When I buy a nut or a ration I get all of this extra stuff which is cheaper to buy than grain such as distillers or mollasses. These are processed so they also weigh much heavier than barley. The last bags of ration that I was buying as creep feed for weanlings, we were asked to bring the labels to our discussion group meeting. Mine and most others feeds contained between 7% and 10% ash. Where's the feeding in ash that's bound together by mollasses? There might be a bit of feeding in the mollasses, but some of the stuff in these mixes are just filler.

Cost wise, I'm probably working out about the same as yourself. But I have a convenient way for storing and feeding the rolled barley. It's easy to handle. And I'm supporting a local small merchant who buys direct from farmers.

But I can tell you that I fed my weanlings last year with rolled barley & wheat & soya & minerals in the creep. I never had weanlings do so well.
The minerals added to the compound will contribute to the ''ash %age''

We could do with a dedicated thread on matters relating to meal in general, facts and figures, showing the feed values of various different products.
We get our rations made up to our spec,
I would agree with much of what has been said, the real money for feed mills is in using up as much cheap poor quality ingredients as possible.

Last winter i used collect 2 ton of rolled barley and a ton of soya hulls on top ,it worked out the finest for feeding at €180 collected .You could see a shine off all the cattle compared to other years when feeding a coarse mix off the co op .I used to collect in a grain trailer but had to haul out of trailer to cattle with oil drum buckets .

Last winter i used collect 2 ton of rolled barley and a ton of soya hulls on top ,it worked out the finest for feeding at €180 collected .You could see a shine off all the cattle compared to other years when feeding a coarse mix off the co op .I used to collect in a grain trailer but had to haul out of trailer to cattle with oil drum buckets .

I'm struggling to see how you got that down to 180/t collected given rolled barley would be that alone let alone the more expensive soya.

Just as an aside on straights, it would be unusual to deal with a specific tonnage but in the last couple of days I saw wheat dried and rolled. 8100kg at 21% whole ended up as 6800kg dried to 15% and rolled.

Just as an aside on straights, it would be unusual to deal with a specific tonnage but in the last couple of days I saw wheat dried and rolled. 8100kg at 21% whole ended up as 6800kg dried to 15% and rolled.
A 16% weight loss? That sounds like a crazy figure

That is serious losses.
21 to 15 is 6%, but even 21.8 down to 14.3 is only 7.5%.
1.25% weight loss per % moisture lost is slightly on the high side, plus 1% for each handling.
7.5 by 1.25 = 9.25 loss from drying.
Either it was handled a good few times in the processes or the losses were very big each time he handled it.
Other explanation is the meter is reading a bit out either in the dry grain or much more likely in the green grain.
Not having a go or doubting you you, just thinking out loud about the reasons that might explain it.

That is serious losses.
21 to 15 is 6%, but even 21.8 down to 14.3 is only 7.5%.
1.25% weight loss per % moisture lost is slightly on the high side, plus 1% for each handling.
7.5 by 1.25 = 9.25 loss from drying.
Either it was handled a good few times in the processes or the losses were very big each time he handled it.
Other explanation is the meter is reading a bit out either in the dry grain or much more likely in the green grain.
Not having a go or doubting you you, just thinking out loud about the reasons that might explain it.
I don't doubt your logic at all, as I said I was very surprised myself, it seems I'm not the only one. The meter comment is an interesting one as I was questioning it's accuracy myself in barley. It makes no odds to me, I was only rolling it, but to me the sample didn't tally with the supposed moisture.

I was talking to a colleague today and he was saying he was going to house yearlings about 400kgs in the next few days given the weather. They are on a small bit of meal at present but he is thinking of feeding them very fresh 2017 rolled barley when they go in. I thought a few kgs but he is talking about ad-lib.

Personally I reckon it's a case for acidious but what do I know. Thoughts?

I was talking to a colleague today and he was saying he was going to house yearlings about 400kgs in the next few days given the weather. They are on a small bit of meal at present but he is thinking of feeding them very fresh 2017 rolled barley when they go in. I thought a few kgs but he is talking about ad-lib.

Are they Bulls?
I'd reckon he will sicken them maybe even kill them. That could end in disaster.

Mix it with bicarb for the first couple of weeks

Wouldn't barley want to be 3 weeks cut before feeding it? And small amounts to begin with, I think it would be impossible to feed barley ad-lib to those cattle or any cattle for that matter.

Back