Fencing

Nothing more satisifying than seen a well constructed wire fence

Actually can anyone give a price on single strand electric boundary fencing, posts as far apart as possible, usually do it myself but im getting very lazy

Also a price for a small bit of post and rail.

Nothing more satisifying than seen a well constructed wire fence

Actually can anyone give a price on single strand electric boundary fencing, posts as far apart as possible, usually do it myself but im getting very lazy

Also a price for a small bit of post and rail.
What part of the country are you in Ozzy?

Been there, done that and have got more sense than to go back without help.
We use to lamb about 400 ewes 3 times every 2 years.

Mate why on earth would you want to do that ???? Dorsets was it ??? No wonder your called gone,,,,,

Lovely bit of fencing though

Mate why on earth would you want to do that ???? Dorsets was it ??? No wonder your called gone,,,,,

Lovely bit of fencing though
It use to be all the fashion in the eighties, ye some Dorset, but most Suffolk. There was a premium for young lambs for the Christmas market.
I got sense.

I'd say that stone pier in your last photo could tell a tale or two!
There use to be a wedding style very close to that pier, I believe, my Grandparents house use to be the Bishop's residence roughly 150/160 years ago. My grandfather always regretted removing it to widen the yard gate.

Hanging a gate out of the granite peers in the old yard entrance, the spud is to one side of the peer so I thought I would try the vertical type bolt on hanger.
They are bloody stupid, I couldn't work the gate I wanted because it was catching in the rawl bolts.
I also had to cut a slot to get the gate to fit in a permanent fashion.
IMG_20170228_113845.jpg IMG_20170228_113835.jpg IMG_20170228_100954.jpg IMG_20170228_100940.jpg IMG_20170228_100934.jpg IMG_20170228_100929.jpg IMG_20170228_113904.jpg

Just thinking out loud.
We have a lot of Ash trees here. Many of them in need of a good pruning.
Would ash make good strainer posts?
If I was to cut them into length and leave them in the back of a shed for a few years that is.

Probably wouldnt be good enough stuff for planking. But pleanty of 8 to 10 inch thick branches in there.

Just thinking out loud.
We have a lot of Ash trees here. Many of them in need of a good pruning.
Would ash make good strainer posts?
If I was to cut them into length and leave them in the back of a shed for a few years that is.

Probably wouldnt be good enough stuff for planking. But pleanty of 8 to 10 inch thick branches in there.

Ash rots very fast once cut and in contact with the ground. It will just go black and soft. I would not be a fan of it for a strainer post. It would probably be cost neutral to sell it and buy a treated softwood fencing post (although some of the treated softwood posts don't last too long either nowadays).

Ash rots very fast once cut and in contact with the ground. It will just go black and soft. I would not be a fan of it for a strainer post. It would probably be cost neutral to sell it and buy a treated softwood fencing post (although some of the treated softwood posts don't last too long either nowadays).
Figured there would be a good reason.

Uncle recently re fenced a fence made with oak posts that he and dad split with wedges about 45 years ago. Took a post from the old fence up to take home.
Has darkened at the base still hard enough. But near impossible to get a staple in now! Fair stuff. The wire was almost gone with rust!!

Wonder is it worth buying oak trees for that job! Ha

Outlying farm in a mile of a narrow winding lane with a couple of houses and farms on it .
One particular pinch point opposite an old stone house.
I asked the owner if he would allow me to remove a section of the ditch and hedge. I said I would replace it with whatever he wanted, (wall, timber fence, whatever he wanted)
He gave me the go ahead and said put up timber fencing with two gates.
Got it finished today.
Used oak 4 x 4s and creasoted rails.

Attachments

• 20170422_170506.jpg
    20170422_170506.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 81
Back