Fencing

Discussion in 'Stock Talk' started by gone, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Tippcon

Tippcon Well-Known Member

There was a fella giving out to me the other day about the cost of grant spec straining posts and the likes, "sure they'll all be rotten in ten year's time no matter what kind of posts you put up".
    These are pictures I took yesterday of a grant aided fence that was put up at home in the 1920's. All concrete posts, most of them are still intact. The gate posts would put modern efforts to shame, it was plenty wide for horses but the gap is too narrow now for modern equipment particularly as it's at an angle to the ditch. 20171029_164301.jpg 20171029_164510.jpg 20171029_164601.jpg

2. mixed fleet

mixed fleet Well-Known Member

On the cost of posts , local Lakeland store which is usually reasonable for usual agri supplies.
    IMG-20171006-WA0000.jpeg IMG-20171006-WA0002.jpeg

gone likes this.
  3. AYF

AYF Well-Known Member

How much are concrete posts now I wonder?

4. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

I bet at the time, those were probably cast on site too Tippcon!

AYF likes this.
  5. AYF

AYF Well-Known Member

Anyone used a petrol post rammer?
    http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/en...tools/4180-petrol-fence-post-driver-hire.html
    Got an awkward length to do and can't get a tractor to it. Thinking of hiring a petrol machine for the job.
    It's not tough going there, put one in with a sledge fairly easily. But don't fancy doing a length with the sledge, purely because modern posts like to split before going in far enough (nothing to do with hardship!!)

6. fitzy

fitzy Well-Known Member

Have driven hundreds with the little petrol rammers and work well in all kinds of dirt, get a good set of ear defenders or plugs though you will need them, easier done off a trailer if you are putting in long star pickets as lifting it above your head soon becomes tiering.
    The Pneumatic ones are good to if you have a compressor that gives minimum of 35cfm work a little better in rocky conditions.

AYF likes this.
  7. AYF

AYF Well-Known Member

Now as I recall you'r an Ozzy am I corect? And most of what I saw in OZ was steel posts.
    Have you done any 4inch round wooden posts with them?

8. fitzy

fitzy Well-Known Member

yep, in Oz
    Yes only used for star pickets as they ground is to hard or sticky for anything larger, I have a post driver for this similar to the picture below used for concrete, steel, plastic and wood posts.

Next door to me are putting in vines about 300acres of trestles and more coming, they are using treated pine CCA and putting them in with a post rammer the spot they are putting them in is a wallum paddock hard compact sand like concrete, so drill a 3" hole and pound them in, if you use good quality split hardwood posts like ironbark all you need is a point and drive them in.

The little post drivers are good and various kinds and sizes are on the market, give it a go if it saves time and money its a win all round.
    post.PNG

Peter likes this.
  9. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Well-Known Member

I know I keep going on about it, but that sounds like a job for clipex. have you an sds drill and a genny available by any chance? 3/4 to inch hole drilled into pretty much anything and pop them in

10. scoffcruddle

scoffcruddle Well-Known Member

I've come to the conclusion clipex are only worth using if you put electric on the top of them,I've had half a dozen bent over this summer by in calf heifers pushing on the fence. :curse:

gone likes this.
  11. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Well-Known Member

yeah? I suppose because they're thin they'll cut through the soil.

we're all electric, hadnt considered that.

12. scoffcruddle

scoffcruddle Well-Known Member

They just fold over,got to admit I'm a little disappointed.

13. Bog Man

Bog Man Well-Known Member

14. Mf240

Mf240 Well-Known Member

AYF likes this.