Fert units and all that.

AYF

This has always stumped me.

If I'm putting on 75kg/ac of 46% N Urea I am putting on 34.5 units of N to the acre??
As if I was putting 100kg/ac on it would be 46 units.

If I want the equivalent 34.5 units/ac of N out of prilled Nitram @34.5% N I need 100kg/ acre?

A unit is a %?
So 20.10.10 is 20%N so 20kg per 100 kg fert.

Correct?

If I'm putting on 75kg/ac of 46% N Urea I am putting on 34.5 units of N to the acre??

If I want the equivalent 34.5 units/ac of N out of prilled Nitram @34.5% N I need 100kg/ acre?

A unit is a %?

Correct?

46% of the quantity that you apply is kgs of N. There are 2 units of N in a Kilo of N. so your first example you would apply 69units per ac

in Nitram 34.5% there are 345kgs of Nitrogen per ton. or 690units per ton.

To put out the same amount of urea as 100 kgs of 34.5% you need to apply 75kgs of Urea per acre.

A unit is a %?

Correct?

Not that simple, I am gone away from units of fert, so won't explain this properly.
units per acre are based on the % of N,P&K in a cwt per acre, so in modern times it is based on 50kg bag per acre, or 125 kg/ha.
In the examples you used.
75kg per acre is one and a half small bags per acre by the % N in Urea which is 46x1.5= 69 units.
and the 20.10.10 contains 20 units of N, 10 units of P2 O5 and 10 units of K2 O in each 50kgs or small bag.

Last edited:
Not that simple, I am gone away from units of fert, so won't explain this properly.
units per acre are based on the % of N,P&K in a cwt per acre, so in modern times it is based on 50kg bag per acre, or 125 kg/ha.

It kinda messes up calculations when urea comes in 40kg bags :scratchhead::scratchhead:

In the examples you used.
75kg per acre is one and a half small bags per acre by the % N in Urea which is 46x1.5= 69 units.
and the 20.10.10 contains 20 units of N, 10 units of P2 O5 and 10 units of K2 O in each 50kgs or small bag.

Hmm. So 50 kg/(1cwt) acre of 46% urea gives 23 units N/ acre?

I work it off 50kg bag. So one back to the ac of 10:10:20 will give 10 units of N and 10 of P and 20 of K. Same that 50kg of urea to the ac will give you 46 units of N to the ac. But just remember a big bag of urea is only 375kg so will only do 7.5ac at a bag to the ac while normal big pallet bags do 10ac as they are 500kg. Everybody talks about fertilser in different ways. I spread for hire and some talk in bags/ac , units/ac or kg/ac and one lad does it in kg/ha

Is Urea in 40kg bags these days?

First time I bought urea in a long time last week and it was in 40kg bags. It used to be in 50kg and they were bigger than standard fertilizer bags. Seems that all bags are a standard size now. 40kg is a lot easier to handle IMO

First time I bought urea in a long time last week and it was in 40kg bags. It used to be in 50kg and they were bigger than standard fertilizer bags. Seems that all bags are a standard size now. 40kg is a lot easier to handle IMO
The 50kg urea bags used be very popular for the lads on the bogs. How's that for going off topic :ban:

Urea comes in either 40kgs or 37.5kgs or 375kgs or 500kgs(single trip)

I use urea that comes in a green 600kg bag to.
600kg bags here too.
Don't think there's much fert sold in small bags any more. Havent seen 500kg bags in a while either.

So in conclusion whoever came up with CWTS pounds ounces and stones was an idiot. Same goes for inches.
Kg's and mm's are much simpler!

600kg bags here too.
Don't think there's much fert sold in small bags any more. Havent seen 500kg bags in a while either.

So in conclusion whoever came up with CWTS pounds ounces and stones was an idiot. Same goes for inches.
Mostly 500kgs here apart from urea @ 375kg, you have metric on the brain today, 500 PTO's....

I started off with £-s-d then decimal currency and the the euro . Only started using metric measurement in secondary school .Used a chain with my father for measuring beet ground and I think there was a 100 links to a chain which was 22 yards . I think there was 5and 1/2 yards to a perch . Not to mention going boating using fathoms for depth and knots for speed .
Started off with cwt/ acre and units / acre with the odd farmer using Irish acres to throw a spanner in the works . 12 Irish acres was approx 20 statute acres .

I started off with £-s-d then decimal currency and the the euro . Only started using metric measurement in secondary school .Used a chain with my father for measuring beet ground and I think there was a 100 links to a chain which was 22 yards . I think there was 5and 1/2 yards to a perch . Not to mention going boating using fathoms for depth and knots for speed .
Started off with cwt/ acre and units / acre with the odd farmer using Irish acres to throw a spanner in the works . 12 Irish acres was approx 20 statute acres .

Spoilt nowadays,stick a bag in the sower and press the start button on the gps.

9 square feet to a square yard,30 and a quarter square yards to a perch, 40 perches to a rood, 4 roods to an acre, thats a statute acre BTW.

600kg bags here too.

its easy

a 50kg bag of say 20-10-10 has 20 units N,10P and 10K
a 600 has 240-120-120

Reactions: AYF
Got this slurry test back, are the units irish or UK?

Attachments

• 1686B09F-FD20-48FF-BF11-5DCC0B730A06.png
    1686B09F-FD20-48FF-BF11-5DCC0B730A06.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 325
Back