Fertiliser for silage. Who has it out???

Some of it got slurry in early feb, 3 bags of 11-7-23 and got 60 units there 10 days ago. The rest will have to be grazed but has got 60 units, 30 20th feb and 30 10 days ago so a fast graze and maybe another 30 units again

The way silage stocks are in the country I can't see too many taking a light yielding first cut, anyone that grazed it so far will probably have to graze it again as the second round is so far behind which will push it out into June by the look of things if they want any bit of bulk, a dry summer could scupper any chance of making up a deficit.

Nothing but the 0:7:30 out on silage so far. I was going to spread the CAN yesterday afternoon but it was to windy thankfully as the amount of rain we've had in the last 24 hours would have washed it away. Be a week now before land is dry enough to work on and thats assuming it takes up shortly.

I put out 18-6-12 about a fortnight ago and topped up with sulcan before the weekend, aiming for a cut in late May...mightn't be the heaviest cut of the year. Will be grazing off other silage ground next week before dressing with fert for a June cut.
MF30

I wouldn't spread a lot of units at the moment.safer to split it with the weather I think. I spread slurry on most ground in feb/ March and 35 units urea on 16th.march.
Don't see any point going again til growth improves. Glad I didn't spread early n.

Hardly any slurry out and not seen a fert sower out yet,had 2" of rain yesterday,it's a very late spring here,bugger all grass anywhere.:sad:

Surprised how dry the silage ground was today so spread around 60% with a fine product :Whistle2:of what it will get early this morning. No marks left and no wheelies!

20180414_101818_zpsddgpbeqd.jpg

Surprised how dry the silage ground was today so spread around 60% with a fine product :Whistle2:of what it will get early this morning. No marks left and no wheelies!

View attachment 53349
That pic reminds me of a neighbor who some time in the late seventies brought a new 36,exactly the same as your one.What sticks in my mind is that the price of it was 3,600 punts.

In a normal year I would have silage ground closed first week of April, I had been grazing it off since 20th March but had to put stock back in Easter Monday, looks like I may have to continue to graze what was earmarked for silage as what grass is out there atm is scarce enough and no point in closing until I can meet demand on the rest of the farm, I'm going with 2 bags of 18-6-12 after the rain next week and will top up with 2 and a half more bags as I see ground become available for silage crop.

In a normal year I would have silage ground closed first week of April, I had been grazing it off since 20th March but had to put stock back in Easter Monday, looks like I may have to continue to graze what was earmarked for silage as what grass is out there atm is scarce enough and no point in closing until I can meet demand on the rest of the farm, I'm going with 2 bags of 18-6-12 after the rain next week and will top up with 2 and a half more bags as I see ground become available for silage crop.
Not picking holes, been wondering about this myself, that's 60 units of K close to silage cutting.....any fears of luxury uptake??

Luxury uptake isn't mentioned often now.
My father always spread 0 7 30 after cutting and the p and k levels built up very well.
I wasn't allowed spread p or k for years in reps .now I use slurry in spring and urea and maybe 18 6 12 once in summer

i,m thinking of cutting back to 90 units of n for silage as i,ll still cut in the end of may, 46 units of urea out and will top it off with 18 6 12, is there a certain lenght of time to be left between spreading urea and nitrogen ?

Slurry out and ground has high index for p and k. This year I'm planning to cut half of it early and the second half will be left for 2 to 3 weeks longer to bulk up. Will be going with 60 units of N next week on the early ground. That way, N from the slurry (10 to 12 units) plus the 60 units will have 7 to 8 weeks growth for cutting in early june. The rest will get 60 units of N on top of the slurry in 2 weeks time when things dry out a bit and probably won't be cut until the end of June or early July. It's for sucklers so quantity over quality.

Back