Fertilizer Price Tracker

Done abit of pricing in the past fortnight too, nothing bought yet,
all big bags, delivered.
10:10:20 €360
Can €225
Can +S €230
13:6:20+S €346.

Stupid question maybe but would anyone that forward bought be after getting screwed on price?

Bought wrong by about €20 a tonne. You cannot expect to win them all . I always sell a bit forward as well equivalent to my Fertilizer purchase.Lucky enough it was not Wheat .
So apart from the gamble the gain is in a reduced tax bill as you would have a bigger fertilizer bill presuming it was your first year buying forward, come back to bite you on the arse if you didn't keep up the practice.

So apart from the gamble the gain is in a reduced tax bill as you would have a bigger fertilizer bill presuming it was your first year buying forward, come back to bite you on the arse if you didn't keep up the practice.
Tax bill wasn't an issue with last year's prices

Never buy forward to reduce tax as we always do a correct stock because we would generally be carrying some unsold grain from one year to another . It is not a gamble as I am usually buying a margin because I would have some sold forward as well . Either way I only paid for some of it in December and some to be paid later . I sometimes think it is more about the merchant having some sold forward .

I'm not a fan of buying fert or other items at year end for tax reasons, first of all technically you should add fert or fuel ect to closing stock and secondly if you buy one year you may nearly buy at the end of every year or you will have a years accounts with no fert cost

Stupid question maybe but would anyone that forward bought be after getting screwed on price?

Ive bought forward the past few years, I’m at the wrong side of the price by €20/tn this year but have gained much more than that over the past couple of years.

I wouldn’t consider “screwed “ as the correct term. You make your choice at a given point in the market and take your chances. It’s not the retailer’s fault, I’m sure some of them are getting caught in a falling market too.

In the UK, on average the lowest point in the fertilizer market is usually around June. It comes a little later here I think. It’s all about the average and forward purchasers are needed to keep logistics moving - over the long term they are rewarded for doing so.

Back