Fertilizer Price Tracker

I dunno if a crop needs it I think I would be putting it on. In case it comes back to bite me later.
In Winter Wheat the Yield return curve gets flat fairly quickly . In other words eg if 140 units give a reasonable yield the next twenty units will add some more but after that it goes fairly flat .

Why would they put out rumours that would put themselves under pressure, the crowd I know of had to have the lads working extra hours bagging to stay on top of the demand thereby costing them money.
They have been under pressure bagging in the past week or two. They were trying to get lads to work sundays etc. I dont think it's a lack of supply it's a combination of the wet spring and farms not taking stock, then co-ops stocked up rapidly when the virus hit etc.

Every supply chain is vulnerable now to staff getting sick, particularly the transport side of things

In Winter Wheat the Yield return curve gets flat fairly quickly . In other words eg if 140 units give a reasonable yield the next twenty units will add some more but after that it goes fairly flat .
Spent many years studying N response curves of wheat and barley. Still haunted by nightmares of regression analysis. They are wildly complicated and influenced by a range of factors that we can and can't control. In a good crop of winter wheat there's a significant yield increase (both statistically and economically) at N rates well above 160 units.

Spent many years studying N response curves of wheat and barley. Still haunted by nightmares of regression analysis. They are wildly complicated and influenced by a range of factors that we can and can't control. In a good crop of winter wheat there's a significant yield increase (both statistically and economically) at N rates well above 160 units.
We regularly grew 4 tonne after sugar beet and two fungicides . Ended up putting 200 units and five fungicides to get slightly higher yields . That is why so many people have dropped winter wheat . Chugging along at between 160 to 180 units but still long for 120 units and shut the gate .

I assume soil types were taken into consideration. SOM, structure, biology

if you cant grow grass with 10% less and see a noticable difference i would say there is other factors at play. what i have been told regarding fertiliser is straights are not for sale ie MOP,DAP and TSP as some products are harder sourced and factories will hold onto blending stock

We regularly grew 4 tonne after sugar beet and two fungicides . Ended up putting 200 units and five fungicides to get slightly higher yields . That is why so many people have dropped winter wheat . Chugging along at between 160 to 180 units but still long for 120 units and shut the gate .
Agreed, the cost of growing winter wheat has gotten out of control. A lot of it is down to chemistry becoming more expensive but less effective at controlling septoria. Crops with poor disease control will have lower N response curves so the optimum N rate will be lower. I’d have no problem applying N rates above and beyond 160 units if I didn’t have to spend a solid fortune on fungicides to keep the crop clean enough to assimilate that N.

Hopefully a sign of things to come.

I may have asked this before, do any/many Irish merchants provide the option to buy fertilizer well forward?

For example, if CAN were down at or below €200, could one buy it on paper for delivery in autumn 20 & autumn 21?

Hopefully a sign of things to come.

I may have asked this before, do any/many Irish merchants provide the option to buy fertilizer well forward?

For example, if CAN were down at or below €200, could one buy it on paper for delivery in autumn 20 & autumn 21?

They offer forward buying (you pay down your cash) but I dont think they offer forward contracts similar to grain. I suppose the market just isn't big enough

They offer forward buying (you pay down your cash) but I dont think they offer forward contracts similar to grain. I suppose the market just isn't big enough
Usually not offered because Coops and Merchants like to buy low and sell high without farmers having access to the same facilities. Fert sales can be quite lucrative indeed.

And hope the merchant or Cooperative does not have any hidden problems.
Coops/Merchants May set up the facility for a farmer, but it’s the manufacturer/distributor/ blender that gets paid directly by the farmer. Therefore it’s the same facility that the Coop/Merchant uses.
In Ireland the Glanbia/Dairygolds etc won’t allow such facilities, because they don’t like little farmers interfering with their margins.
I know, I’ve been there.

Usually not offered because Coops and Merchants like to buy low and sell high without farmers having access to the same facilities. Fert sales can be quite lucrative indeed.

Our Mickey mouse market was so lucrative a manufacturer with a turnover of 12 billion had to get in on the retail action.

I don't put out too much K in the autumn anymore, crops tend to do better if they get their K in the spring, crops need very little K till the late spring early summer and if you apply it in the autumn some of it will be less available when needed.
Crops need P for the autumn winter and if your land isn't very high it will pay you to apply some. I would go for 2cwt of 0/10/20 in the autumn and top up your P&K in the spring with something like 15/3/20 for the first split.

Would it pay you better to put a extra bit of 10-10-20 out at sowing and when top dressing use something like 18s to help top p and k?

I don't put out too much K in the autumn anymore, crops tend to do better if they get their K in the spring, crops need very little K till the late spring early summer and if you apply it in the autumn some of it will be less available when needed.
Crops need P for the autumn winter and if your land isn't very high it will pay you to apply some. I would go for 2cwt of 0/10/20 in the autumn and top up your P&K in the spring with something like 15/3/20 for the first split.
Ya might go with that option so, index one rented ground for p and k

Back