Firewood

nick

Does anyone know anything about loads of forestry thinnings.
Ie wat kinda of cost
How long are the lengths
What sort of timber is the best to get

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

About 3m long varying from 6" up............ some where around 1200 inc per artic load..........

last thinnings i was at they were just over 1m long and were roughly €35 per cube mtr i think he said
that was about 6 mths ago.

Does anyone know anything about loads of forestry thinnings.
Ie wat kinda of cost
How long are the lengths
What sort of timber is the best to get

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The prices the lads have mentioned are about right I'd say for Sitka Spruce and other softwoods which is about all you will get really. Hardwood will be better for burning, but is scarce.

At them prices petrol aand chain oil would there be much difference in buying the timber in ton bags off some crowd

At them prices petrol aand chain oil would there be much difference in buying the timber in ton bags off some crowd
Well speaking from someone who's been felling, blocking, splitting, seasoning and selling firewood, unless you're getting the trees for free and conveniently, don't bother pulling the cord on a saw.

Sold nearly all of this year's stock now, €75 for a cubic meter of seasoned Oak/Ash mix. €65 for a tonne bag.

Reminds me of one time when I was out working the chainsaw and my wife was there helping out. A small loose stick flew out of the saw horse when the saw tipped it and gave my woman a right good slap on the arse, something I had been tempted to do for ages. She didn't see the funny side of it.

Does anyone have a value on firewood at the minute, mostly hardwood cut into rings but not split, I know a fella talking about selling a bit and I want to make him an offer he can't refuse

Very hard to know, from what I see firewood is little different in price from any other year despite everything else rising,coal has doubled . firewood may be scarce after a while as people have bought more/earlier than usual I believe.see what it would cost delivered locally and decide what you want for your time spent splitting then subtract that,then offer a bit less.builders bags are around 80 euro and contain about 220kg of dry hardwood

Very hard to know, from what I see firewood is little different in price from any other year despite everything else rising,coal has doubled . firewood may be scarce after a while as people have bought more/earlier than usual I believe.see what it would cost delivered locally and decide what you want for your time spent splitting then subtract that,then offer a bit less.builders bags are around 80 euro and contain about 220kg of dry hardwood
This isn't a commercial venture, I want to build up a stockpile to burn myself. You're saying split hardwood in bags is around €360/t, so would €250/t be a reasonable price?

I would think that's too much to pay if you value your time at all.
110 euro to split 4.5 bags which is min. three hours work with a good set up and in reality probably 5 hours work not including collecting the timber.a tractor and log splitter isn't dear to run but it's not free either.
The big thing if paying by the ton is moisture contentl.
I think hardwood from the forest is around 80/ton maybe plus haulage and that's straight stuff that's easier to process

I would think that's too much to pay if you value your time at all.
110 euro to split 4.5 bags which is min. three hours work with a good set up and in reality probably 5 hours work not including collecting the timber.a tractor and log splitter isn't dear to run but it's not free either.
The big thing if paying by the ton is moisture contentl.
I think hardwood from the forest is around 80/ton maybe plus haulage and that's straight stuff that's easier to process
I haven't a clue, that's why I'm asking, I would have never quantified the amount of sticks I was splitting per hour here or there as the heap was just getting bigger and that was enough for me.

I haven't a clue, that's why I'm asking, I would have never quantified the amount of sticks I was splitting per hour here or there as the heap was just getting bigger and that was enough for me.

In situations like you mention ,
Your acquaintance has a pile of timber or a tree ,

You could do with the firewood that would be the result of cutting up same .

What's it worth to you ?
One says x .
Other agrees , or doesent .
I'll give you y .

Or , you cut a hedge , plough a garden , or something else for timber owner .
Everyone is better off.

Talk to each other .

There's a fair bit of work to cut up timber , so it's rarely worth mega money in its raw state .

In situations like you mention ,
Your acquaintance has a pile of timber or a tree ,

You could do with the firewood that would be the result of cutting up same .

What's it worth to you ?
One says x .
Other agrees , or doesent .
I'll give you y .

Or , you cut a hedge , plough a garden , or something else for timber owner .
Everyone is better off.

Talk to each other .

There's a fair bit of work to cut up timber , so it's rarely worth mega money in its raw state .
The timber owner already owes me money for services rendered, hence I was wondering what said timber was worth, before I go looking for payment.

Those that work with timber will tell you that it has almost no value until you start working with it to get it nearer to a usable product.
In this case something like 125/ton is probably it's value, maybe a bit more if you want it but if selling it on that would be it's worth

Back