Fleckveieh cows

Any members here milking fleckvieh cows. Seem to be some talk about them this last while.
We milk them. Grand animal if you keep them right. They will need care to be good milkers, grow the heifers big, 27-30months, they really start milking in the later lactations so make sure you have them robust and healthy as heifers it's worth it down the road.

I only have three half fleck crosses,they have done very well for me so I'm on the lookout for a couple of stock bulls,had good bull calves out of them and they got in calf without any bother,also all done over 9500litre this time.

I only have three half fleck crosses,they have done very well for me so I'm on the lookout for a couple of stock bulls,had good bull calves out of them and they got in calf without any bother,also all done over 9500litre this time.

That’s impressive how much concentrates are you feeding

Know someone milking them, crosses mind. Calves them at 24m. Great protein and he’s happy with yield (not a big meal feeder)

Like the montbelliards, lads are mad to keep them to calving at 3yrs. Dunno why, I’ve never calved them later than 25m. Seem to have a similar production curve too, monties are light enough in 1st lac then hammer on in 2/3rd lac

What are they like to calve in general? Have a relative who used all fleck ai last year was getting disillusioned with the direction Fresian genetics are going. Previously was British Fresian out and out.

What are they like to calve in general? Have a relative who used all fleck ai last year was getting disillusioned with the direction Fresian genetics are going. Previously was British Fresian out and out.
We had no issues when coming from our rb x fr cattle. The half and 3 quarter breds pretty much calf themselves. You get the odd big bull calf, but nothing too serious unless there is a problem with the cow.

Don't get too friendly with him, they are a dangerous enough breed, bulls tend to become seriously aggressive at about 3 or 4 years old. Weve had a few here and all of them turned at some stage, one right now is totally unworkable.

Let's just say he's been a pain this last day or two I've retired him to the sin bin (dry cows) while he calms down,he's just weighing up the pecking order.

Let's just say he's been a pain this last day or two I've retired him to the sin bin (dry cows) while he calms down,he's just weighing up the pecking order.
Are you serious? Don't play with them anyway. Out of the ones we've had most be stubborn and give off aggressive signals, but haven't charged at me or put me out of the yard mostly just a bit a posing. But this last one, soon as he's out the pen he's running for you, a bad eye in his head, a real killer and imo last time he was put on a trailer it should have been a trip to the factory.

Well my Fleckvieh has gone today,one of the shortest stays a bulls has had here.

They deserve their reputation,he turned out to be a real pain,more interested in trying to kill me than bull cows,glad to see the back of him.
Did you get many calves out of him?

Only 7 heifers,there near ready for serving,they’re a cracking bunch.

Been back on the black and white since,I doubt I’ll ever have another Fleck bull on the farm,I was lucky when he tossed me in the air,I remember flying through the air thinking this is going to hurt.:ohmy:
Damn, I knew you said you had trouble with him but didn't know he actually got you. The bulls are unbelievable aggressive. I'm guess he wasn't quite 3 yet either by that time? It's scary seeing them in full flight when they are at full maturity.
It could be a side effect of the breeding aim I guess, they aim to keep a marked difference between cows and bulls, bulls are to be masculine and cows feminine, and I guess aggression in the bulls comes with that. Cows are for the most part lovely. Curious but not out to hurt you or anything like that.
My uncle just put in robots and has been using fleckvieh crosses for 10 years or more and the lely guys said they were one of the easiest herd or cattle they ever set up.

Damn, I knew you said you had trouble with him but didn't know he actually got you. The bulls are unbelievable aggressive. I'm guess he wasn't quite 3 yet either by that time? It's scary seeing them in full flight when they are at full maturity.
It could be a side effect of the breeding aim I guess, they aim to keep a marked difference between cows and bulls, bulls are to be masculine and cows feminine, and I guess aggression in the bulls comes with that. Cows are for the most part lovely. Curious but not out to hurt you or anything like that.
My uncle just put in robots and has been using fleckvieh crosses for 10 years or more and the lely guys said they were one of the easiest herd or cattle they ever set up.
He was only 18month old at the time,could do with one that was reared on a hill by a cow then he’d have fear of humans.

I’ve run bulls since I started in 02,they all go nasty in the end,you expect it but not at such a young age,I’m still a fan of the fleck but I’ve gone flying herd for now so I’ll need to find some to buy in.

He was only 18month old at the time,could do with one that was reared on a hill by a cow then he’d have fear of humans.

I’ve run bulls since I started in 02,they all go nasty in the end,you expect it but not at such a young age,I’m still a fan of the fleck but I’ve gone flying herd for now so I’ll need to find some to buy in.
Unfortunately very expensive. About 50% over friesian counterparts here.

Back