Fodder Shortage 2018

I'd be wary of this. A local man who was feeding good quality silage decided to move the contents of pit to the other side of the yard in order to put a new floor. Contractor moved it and re-covered it in the same day. Killed 5 cows a week later with listeriosis and ended up spreading the silage out the back of a burning.
Blimey

I've just after been talking to a friend who put an ad for 50 bales of silage on Done Deal around the time of the last snow and he said he didn't get any calls for it. He is glad now that he didn't as he had expected the weather to have taken up and have a lot of stock out. He is gone into the pit silage that was left over last year.

We're down to 5 bales so they will be going out probably over the weekend. Lucky enough in one way we have a low stocking rate so they should be fine. Land has dried a good bit over the last few days but no growth.

We're down to 5 bales so they will be going out probably over the weekend. Lucky enough in one way we have a low stocking rate so they should be fine. Land has dried a good bit over the last few days but no growth.

Down to 10 ourselves in Galway and have been using 8 a week. Only used 4 last week and fed rolled barley instead.
Hope to let a pen of stores off to grass at the weekend. A neighbour has offered me 6 bales. It means that we can keep them in for another 3 weeks if we have to.
Glad I sold off a pen of store bullocks in February.
A little bit of growth coming, but is very slow.

I usually ring my advisor in early to mor March enquiring about turning out stock.
His reply has always been "if In doubt let them out"
Rang him yesterday and he says don't let anything out for a week or so until there is a sign if growth .
I'd usually let 1/3 out in early March and all by April 1st nut things look different this year.
I have silage for three weeks more

I don't need anyone's approval to do anything thank God.
However paying for an advisory service and not using it makes no sense.
This an experienced advisor and two heads are better than one.
The point of my above post is that in his view this is not a normal spring and the usual rules don't apply.
Soil temperatures are at January levels so making decisions based on what I can see alone could prove foolish.

I opened my second pit of silage this morning. Silage has gotten scarce around here and beet is in short supply too. I was out across the land yesterday and it's not in too bad of order considering the weather we've had this winter. Im not too bad for feed but I'm mad to get into the spring work routine.

I opened my second pit of silage this morning. Silage has gotten scarce around here and beet is in short supply too. I was out across the land yesterday and it's not in too bad of order considering the weather we've had this winter. Im not too bad for feed but I'm mad to get into the spring work routine.
If u only opened your second pit today surely you are more than "not too bad"

Hardly a ton of rolled barley left in the country according to our local glanbia branch today
I have three lorry loads of barley left it was sold to a merchant and Halls are drawing it . I rang the lorryman and he said they have him drawing wheat and could not shift the rest of mine till he got an order .

I have three lorry loads of barley left it was sold to a merchant and Halls are drawing it . I rang the lorryman and he said they have him drawing wheat and could not shift the rest of mine till he got an order .
A quick advert on donedeal will give you the latest market value.

Knowing our local glanbia there could be a thousand ton ten mile out the road that no-one could be bothered organising transport for though.

I was told today that Glanbia are importing barley at the moment, truth or lies I don't know.

A quick advert on donedeal will give you the latest market value.

Knowing our local glanbia there could be a thousand ton ten mile out the road that no-one could be bothered organising transport for though.

Glanbia had a vacancy for a transport person advertised a few months ago, I applied and they didn't even bother to acknowledge it ignorant so and so's. No doubt the job went to someone who was well in with someone but wouldn't know a truck if it ran over him/her.

I was told today that Glanbia are importing barley at the moment, truth or lies I don't know.

Glanbia had a vacancy for a transport person advertised a few months ago, I applied and they didn't even bother to acknowledge it ignorant so and so's. No doubt the job went to someone who was well in with someone but wouldn't know a truck if it ran over him/her.
you should have asked one of our 100,000 thousand euro board members to put in a word for you

I think native barley is almost all gone countrywide so it is very possible given the amount of feed being used that they are importing it, it's possible they buy a % of it every year but I wouldn't be sure if that. The place I work has a 100% native grain guarantee so they have enough bought to cover them but it will be tight.

Out and about most of today and I've never seen as many bale trailers on the go and the odd silage trailer hauling pit stuff. Just doing my typical farmer tractor operator stuff and gawking over hedges and walls and all the piles of bales I was passing all year are all gone or very few left.

Meal lorry driver was saying kerry are even hauling gluten from dublin port ,it seems foynes and cork ports can not keep up with demand for imported feeds

Back