Food

It'd also rise the hydrogen sulphide levels in your lungs if nearby...no wonder everyone conks out after a feed of Brussels sprouts at Christmas. I'm limiting my greens this week as I've a good bit of spraying to do and with windows closed in the cab and air set to recirculate...
:laugh::laugh:

Jaysus . What would that be 250 miles away ?
"Service charge is at the customers discretion " . Left them €150. Had 2 coffees on top of the 65 meal .

With the small portions I'll have to pack a flask and sandwiches for the run home. €10 supplement for the double joint, was he rolling it?.......:laugh:

It'd also rise the hydrogen sulphide levels in your lungs if nearby...no wonder everyone conks out after a feed of Brussels sprouts at Christmas. I'm limiting my greens this week as I've a good bit of spraying to do and with windows closed in the cab and air set to recirculate...
Carbon filters would help.

On Sunday week , we ended up in Wexico . Went to Loftus Hall , booked out for the tours , due to a Bealtaine festival being held in the walled garden. A few craft stalls , and a working blacksmith. Harmless enough.

Then proceeded to Hook lighthouse . A Festival of Lights there . Lighthouse open for tours , which were guess what booked.out . There were a few classic cars there , but they were leaving . A lovely walk around there on the rocks .
Then driving along , herself copped a sign for Dunbrody house Hotel . Sure I will try anything once . I thought we might bump into @nashmach , or maybe @Bog Man would be in what must be one of his regular dining establishments
We went in at 6.15 , were seated more or less straight away . Only 4 others at 1 table
Out at 8.20 after coffee. 32 diners at that stage.
We hadn't eaten anything since 10.30 am .

Well presented, very tasty , but for a country man , portion size was mean enough . A fine dish of veg , between the 2 of us , with 4 baby potatoes between us.....
View attachment 65687

I had the langoustines , followed by the take.and finished with panacotta.

@Bog Man it appears , was slumming it in a chipper as I was getting ideas above my station .:rolleyes2:

I don't think I'd return there . Enjoyed it , but dear for what you got. I'd have eaten a bag of chips 2 hours . So dear enough.
Any other members dined there ?

It's only money jf :smile::smile:
Nice to see how the other half live.

Ah jf, it's only the mighty Glanbia milk men like yourself who could dine there!!

Never frequented the place but have been in and around the grounds a few times.

You could have gotten something to eat in the Hook or Loftus Hall or ventured further to Floods in Ramsgrange :lol:

i haven,t been there but he,s a celebrity chef and charges accordingly :thumbup: sure 65 euro isn,t much to a milk sheik

Ballyfin house charge that for afternoon tea so it could be worse.:eek3:

With the small portions I'll have to pack a flask and sandwiches for the run home. €10 supplement for the double joint, was he rolling it?.......:laugh:

I haven't a problem with paying the €65 . It's not a chipper ,.charging for mass production.

It Was well presented , tasty and I suppose we weren't hungry.

For a while

Fiacri House Restaurant is sort of between myself and @Mf240 . Similar sort of prices , but portion size would be larger , and a lot richer . Lots of butter though. So very filling..

Waterford Castle was far ahead as far as I was concerned.

I suppose i am not.a gourmet is what it boils down to .

I haven't a problem with paying the €65 . It's not a chipper ,.charging for mass production.

For a while

Fiacri House Restaurant is sort of between myself and @Mf240 . Similar sort of prices , but portion size would be larger , and a lot richer . Lots of butter though. So very filling..

http://www.fiacrihouse.com/

They seem to be doing something a little different with the BBQ evenings in the summer and the food experience evenings in spring and autumn.......:Thumbp2:

For a while

Only pulling your chain Jf :smile::smile::smile:
Most of my diet would be bread and butter sandwiches :eek3::lol:
It's nice to get a bit of good grub .
The only thing is, say you go out I the evening and get a good big feed (such as f4f get together)
Your still going to eat as normal, the next day.

Had the good fortune of stopping for lunch at the Ovens Bar near Ballincollig, Cork today.

An honest to goodness place, I have a big appetite but was completely filled.
Went for chicken and ham and it was excellent. The Swedes tasted as Swedes should and the potatoes were the same. Not even a bone to be found in the big chicken breast.

Fast, friendly service. I’d highly recommend.

Had the good fortune of stopping for lunch at the Ovens Bar near Ballincollig, Cork today.

An honest to goodness place, I have a big appetite but was completely filled.
Went for chicken and ham and it was excellent. The Swedes tasted as Swedes should and the potatoes were the same. Not even a bone to be found in the big chicken breast.

Fast, friendly service. I’d highly recommend.
That place would be my local. I eat there sometimes when my boss is at work. Good straightforward grub and plenty of it. Can be a bit slow sometimes if they are busy.

Caisleain Oir Annagry North Donegal . The apple does not fall far from the tree. The wild Atlantic Way is doing great things for these Remote places .
The Red Door is another good restaurant up there.
View attachment 66455 View attachment 66456

I’m actually going to donegal for a night in a weeks time. Have booked into Letterkenny. Haven’t been to Donegal before.

Any good food places in Letterkenny?

I’m actually going to donegal for a night in a weeks time. Have booked into Letterkenny. Haven’t been to Donegal before.

Any good food places in Letterkenny?
oysters the way they should be served with nothing done to them, I see you have expensive tastes for the mains aswell. Must be big expectations for banana harvest
Sadly I did not get up there but some of the family were up that direction for a wedding .
I have only driven around Leterkenny
The Red door is about a half hours drive from leterkenny .

we,re going to a wedding on the sligo roscommon border staying near boyle, any nice places to get a bit of fodder in that area on friday night ?

Just had some grub in germains in baltinglass there tonight. Got the chicken curry with half and half chips and rice. By god it’s the best I have had in a long time

The warehouse bar at upper main st or the yellow pepper at the lower main st.
I am staying in Letterkenny for a few days later on this month, we will try that place. We are also spending a few days in Sligo town can anyone recommend somewhere to eat there?

Last edited:
Just had some grub in germains in baltinglass there tonight. Got the chicken curry with half and half chips and rice. By god it’s the best I have had in a long time

We were in Castle Durrow on Saturday at 6 pm . Herself had the chicken curry .
Bland lukewarm slop , I would describe it as . She ate most of it . I saw another woman with the same dish had tossed and turned hers and left half of it . I had a sort of sea food stew , which wasn't bad , possibly lacking some seasoning , and was at least hot enough.
I hear there is a different manager there lately . If that meal was anything to go by , I can't see it staying getting rave reviews as wedding venue to die for .
We were on the way somewhere , and in a bit of a hurry . We were served promptly.
Your main course looks divine @Bog Man .

We were in Castle Durrow on Saturday at 6 pm . Herself had the chicken curry .
Bland lukewarm slop , I would describe it as . She ate most of it . I saw another woman with the same dish had tossed and turned hers and left half of it . I had a sort of sea food stew , which wasn't bad , possibly lacking some seasoning , and was at least hot enough.
I hear there is a different manager there lately . If that meal was anything to go by , I can't see it staying getting rave reviews as wedding venue to die for .
We were on the way somewhere , and in a bit of a hurry . We were served promptly.
Your main course looks divine @Bog Man .

That's disappointing.i got married there 6 months ago and was outstanding... herself is a chef so dinner was a huge part of it

You wouldn't walk out hungry anyway that's for sure. The clink in carlow has a similar menu I believe... same owner

That's disappointing.i got married there 6 months ago and was outstanding... herself is a chef so dinner was a huge part of it
Herself's brother has just booked it for their wedding next April too so hope they pull up their socks.

We were at a wedding there about 2 years ago and it was excellent. The marriage only lasted 3 months though so the venue was the best part of that whole venture

You wouldn't walk out hungry anyway that's for sure. The clink in carlow has a similar menu I believe... same owner

The clink is very good, similar menu and same excellent service. Either go there or mimosa if we are heading out for a meal. Cafe 500 is a good spot for casual dining, food is always excellent but can be waiting for table for a time as it is very small. Step house in Borris is also excellent

It was disappointing.
We have eaten there possibly a dozen times before , and a brother in law had their wedding reception there . Top class on those occasions .

The Ashbrook Arms also in Durrow, would be 10 times ahead of it from my recent experience

The clink is very good, similar menu and same excellent service. Either go there or mimosa if we are heading out for a meal. Cafe 500 is a good spot for casual dining, food is always excellent but can be waiting for table for a time as it is very small. Step house in Borris is also excellent

I nearly ate me arm last Tuesday when we called to the Step House and it was closed . Mimosa is very good but a couple of times a year in it would be enough for me . I know people that go there every week . I have to hand it to him he knows his food and when he introduces new Tapas they are always excellent . The staff are very good and even when he is abroad they still give the same good service .

Back