Footbathing

DC95

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a product they've found successful for footbathing cows.
Currently using formalin and foothbathing weekly once a day for 3 days

Formalin doesn't work great this time of year, it's better when temperatures are higher.
Healthy hooves plus bluestone is good, safer too.

Was thinking about buying a few drums of hoofsure endurance has anyone tried that? Seen online that it works in mucky conditions unlike a lot of other products

At the end of the day copper poisons the bacteria and acid obliterates it. If the product is completely safe it's unlikely to be very effective. If you are having an issue with certain cows try to actually stand them in either blue stone or formalin for 15 to 30 minutes. That should do more than changing product.

Copper sulphate and formulin works best. The best cure is to cull the major offender's or it'll wreck your head forever. Hoofsure doesn't work

Zinc Sulphate will improve hoof health and strength and should be used a few times a year between uses of other products.

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a product they've found successful for footbathing cows.
Currently using formalin and foothbathing weekly once a day for 3 days

What are you trying to cure?

Housed 365 here so I have to be top notch regards feet,nothing beats copper sulphate at keeping digital dermatitis and interdigital growths at bay,only downside is cost,I use formalin all year round and it stops digi running wild.

If I have a persistent offender with digi I will cure it using a foot bandage with Lincoln-spectin,I keep records of every cow and date of trimming so I know what’s working,a couple of things I’ve never cured are toe necrosis and wall ulcers,one things for sure regular foot bathing means I rarely see them though.

Housed 365 here so I have to be top notch regards feet,nothing beats copper sulphate at keeping digital dermatitis and interdigital growths at bay,only downside is cost,I use formalin all year round and it stops digi running wild.

If I have a persistent offender with digi I will cure it using a foot bandage with Lincoln-spectin,I keep records of every cow and date of trimming so I know what’s working,a couple of things I’ve never cured are toe necrosis and wall ulcers,one things for sure regular foot bathing means I rarely see them though.

Have you a link to which Lincoln-spectin you use, is it liquid or powder?

i assume milk can still go into the tank or do you have to have a withdrawal period?

Have you a link to which Lincoln-spectin you use, is it liquid or powder?

i assume milk can still go into the tank or do you have to have a withdrawal period?

https://www.farmacy.co.uk/mobile/linco-spectin-100-powder-150g/p340

It’s never been licensed for use on cattle but as it’s a topical application it’s only like spraying Terramycin spray on,you’d never save the milk of a cow that’s been sprayed would you?

Also best to clean the area and dry it before wrapping,I’d never send a cow with a foot wrap through a formalin bath as it will negate the use of the antibiotic.

When we first found dermatitis some 29 years ago we’d footbath with linco some people spray it on the foot in the parlour,personally I only treat a bad case with it,currently seeing a bit in some bulling heifers that have only been footbathed a couple of times a month,I must do them more often.

Mortellaro is our biggest problem here

What rate and protocol are you using scoff

Have a bundle of bulls here last years bought calves with hoof trouble. Were put in a new slatted shed last year . New slats are been blamed on giving them an Acid burn on there soft hooves . The issues this caused have been cured in all bar a few . Talking to a lad the other day and he mentioned foot bathing them with bluestone to strengthen the hooves . After coming across 3 now with mortellaro . Never had mortellaro here before. . Would foot bathing the group be worth while and what would you put in it .

On the mortellaro we’ve never had that here at home . Would the calves have had it from the cows . Or would they have had to get it from here .

Treating the isolated animal is best. Foot bathing for beef cattle is far for successful. Most likely @massey 6480 so animal brought it into the shed and passed it on. We get bad and good years with it here.

Of 3 I dont the other day, they were bought in a bunch of 5.

Can hoof pairing man bring it in on the grinder or the knives etc.first time we had it this spring aswell.some need pairing but not to bad..he was cocooning as they say but i hear hes back out again

Can hoof pairing man bring it in on the grinder or the knives etc.first time we had it this spring aswell.some need pairing but not to bad..he was cocooning as they say but i hear hes back out again

Yes can come on crush,grinder but the worst is the knives.

Back