Ford 4630

Alfie

We collected a 1993 4630 yesterday, it's a 20 year upgrade from our Leyland 253 (soon to be advertised for sale).
It's mechanically in excellent condition, it had a new cab roof & a full respray in December.

The interior needs some tidying up & there's a few other little things to be sorted out so I thought I'd start a thread for some info & advice.

DSC_6132a.png

DSC_6210a.png

Last edited:
Nice looking tractor, whoever sprayed it knew what they were doing anyway!
A big step up in comfort from the leyland!

Well wear again Alfie!

I think those manuals are basically the same.

The ones including the 5030 will be later as that model was launched at least a year later than the 4630.

Class looking machine there Alfie, best of luck with it

Either manual will do. 1sr 4630's came out in 91 then 5030 added in 93 so manuals should be good.

Try agrimanuals.co.uk also.

Also they are available from New Holland dealers

I got the Operator Manual yesterday so now the questions start.

_20170324_191737.JPG

First off, there's a beacon switch (it illuminates in the ON position) but no beacon & I can't see the socket mentioned below, is the socket standard or an option even though the switch is there ?
As mentioned the tractor has had a new roof recently so maybe the socket or the wiring for it is somewhere between the roof & the lining, should it be at the back or front on the left side ?

_20170324_185700.JPG

View attachment 42964

First off, there's a beacon switch (it illuminates in the ON position) but no beacon & I can't see the socket mentioned below, is the socket standard or an option even though the switch is there ?
As mentioned the tractor has had a new roof recently so maybe the socket or the wiring for it is somewhere between the roof & the lining, should it be at the back or front on the left side ?

View attachment 42963

Our 5030 has a switch but no socket that I have ever seen.

View attachment 42964

View attachment 42963

Alfie, you have the low profile cab, on the front left of the cab roof skin above the door there should be a metal rimmed socket to plug in a beacon. There'll be power going to switch but would advise opening roof to check the wiring to that socket.

The radio aerial will be directly above it on the flat of the cab. Hopefully all will be working for you.

I saw the original old roof today & it has the socket over the door, there isn't a socket on the new roof.
When we get a chance we'll open up the roof & probably get a beacon wired up, not sure which type, bracket or exactly where to put it yet but as the socket isn't there the wiring can be run to exactly where it's needed.

Got the brakes adjusted last week as detailed in the operator manual to get rid of the excess pedal travel, that made a big difference, also got the handbrake adjusted.

A few bits & pieces sorted out over the last couple of months.

Chain stabilisers replaced with telescopic stabilisers. Replacing the right one was no problem, the left chain stabiliser bolt was ceased in the levelling box fork & had to be cut at each side of the lift arm with a hacksaw & then pressed out.

DSC_6951.jpg

Beacon fitted & wired up, new number plate made & fitted to a new backing plate.

DSC_6947.jpg

Adjustable height ball hitch attachment made.

DSC_6965.jpg

Rear work light fitted, only wired up to plug for rear implement socket for now until the interior is finished. Top link also got a bit of paint & I made up a bracket to hold it up when not in use.

DSC_6948.jpg

Kurust, primer & CNH black low sheen paint on the door frames where needed, also on the underneath of the cab floor.

DSC_6943.jpg DSC_6944.jpg

Finally a clean up, especially the glass which made a big difference.

DSC_6963a.jpg

Next project is to tidy up the interior by replacing the lining on the wings, I've some grey faux leather samples ordered from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faux-Leat...891117&hash=item4aec5aaeaa:g:Xr8AAOSwezVWvRVq to see which colour is the best match. Hopefully they will arrive next week, the first set of samples got lost in the post.

Anyone know where I can get a sticker like the one below for the position/draft levers on the three point linkage control ? I tried Logan McMaster but he hasn't got them.

Deluxe cab interior 2.jpg

I'm nearly 100% sure that's unique to the 30's, it's not on the 3cyl 10's in any case so will be difficult to get a genuine replacement for it.

Thanks for the advice, I've got the part numbers, just got to get around to contacting the NH dealer now.

I've the foam removed from the wings now, hopefully I'll be getting some replacement foam tomorrow.

Anyway, when I was removing it I found these extra wires underneath, anyone know what they are for ?

Extra wiring left.jpg

12 pin plugs, external power sockets, rear work lights. The deluxe model cab has extra pin type connectors for powering external equipment on them so I'd say all use same looms and the extra tails just get blanked and hidden away under foam. Had a few extra tails on mine last year when we stripped remaining old foam.

That'd make sense alright to use a common loom.

Picked up the foam yesterday, the fun will soon begin !

Well we finally got around to finishing the interior, it was no problem gluing the material to the foam but there was some "fun" gluing the finished pieces into the cab in the correct position !

Anyway it was worth the effort & we are delight with how well it turned out.

Before pics:

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Work in progress:

Image00002a.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Job done :

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

I've noticed the temperature gauge doesn't seem to be working, anyone know if it's likely to be just the sensor or the gauge, any way to check ? I've checked & all the wires seem to be connected to the gauge & the sensor, I guess it makes sense to just change the sensor first & hopefully that'll fix it.

Am I correct in thinking the sensor is part #5 9712608 TEMPERATURE SENDER, 3/8" - 18 Sender Assy., Water Temperature Indicator on this page https://partstore.agriculture.newho...6a739c27&sl=EN&currency=#epc::mr55061ar676453

Temperature sender 9712608 part 5.png

Last edited:
If you earth the wire that connects to the sensor to the block or battery- connection and turn on the ignition then the guage should go fully into the red straight away, if it does its most likely the sensor, if it does not then it's probably the guage or guage related.

Back