Ford Focus diesel problems

Win

A friends sisters focus is playing up at the moment, basically it won't start after its been left overnight as the fuel appears to be running back to the tank, it's been to a garage without much success, they wanted to put a new injector pump on not really knowing whether it's that or not. At the best part of 1k for one it seems a bit hasty.
Once it's going it runs perfect so we were a bit doubtful about the pump, now does anyone know if there is a electric lift pump to get it to the filter? there's no fuel coming out of the filter with the ignition on, but then we don't know whether it should or not.
It's a 07 1.8 tdci any advice other than scrapping it would be appreciated! :rolleyes2:

Fit a non return valve in the fuel line near the filter, it'll cost a fiver and will sort any fuel run back problems.
MF30

Have a 06 1.8tdci, no lift pump on it at all, a pita to bleed after changing a fuel filter. I fitted a bulb priming pump to sort that. If it's leaking back to tank it could be a cracked filter housing or o ring not sealing properly, I fitted a new housing and it's not expensive. Just be sure it is fuel related and not the egr valve sticking. I had that too and very same as if it was air locking and not putting up a enl. Best thing to do is blank them off. After that it could be a pipe drawing air and letting fuel leak back.

Fit a non return valve in the fuel line near the filter, it'll cost a fiver and will sort any fuel run back problems.
MF30

I'd always sooner fix the problem rather than mask it, also if the pipe is damaged on the tank side of the non return valve it will still leak back.

Have a 06 1.8tdci, no lift pump on it at all, a pita to bleed after changing a fuel filter. I fitted a bulb priming pump to sort that. If it's leaking back to tank it could be a cracked filter housing or o ring not sealing properly, I fitted a new housing and it's not expensive. Just be sure it is fuel related and not the egr valve sticking. I had that too and very same as if it was air locking and not putting up a enl. Best thing to do is blank them off. After that it could be a pipe drawing air and letting fuel leak back.
A lot of the fittings on pipes don't seem to be that good a fit and several have swivel type fittings which could be letting air in, we'll have to try a few things and see, wet day job!!!!
Mine failed the NCT test because the fuel pipes were corroded ,
Crossed my mind, we had it on a Diahatsu fourtrack years ago!

We put another filter housing and some clear pipe on today just temporary, see what happens over night whether it runs back now.
What's involved in blanking the egr off? haven't got anything with one on so had no experience of it, just heard of all the pain and suffering it brings to people!:cry:

We put another filter housing and some clear pipe on today just temporary, see what happens over night whether it runs back now.
What's involved in blanking the egr off? haven't got anything with one on so had no experience of it, just heard of all the pain and suffering it brings to people!:cry:
Egr is very easy to blank off on a Focus. Just locate it on the back of the engine take it off and make up a steel plate that will sandwich in between it and the head. That way you leave it all connected up as far as the ECU is concerned but no exhaust fumes are been sent back into the engine. It's also well worth disconnecting the crankcase breather into the suction side of the turbo and routing it down to the ground. I did all that on herselfs 07 focus and it gained it 7 miles to the gallon and is running like a charm since.

Reactions: Win
Well the temporary filter seems to have fixed it, started straight up and no air in the pipe, :clap:so I think we found our culprit. Might have a go at blanking the egr off while were at it!!
Cheers for the advice! :thumbup:

Back