Ford/New Holland

Chair House Garage , JR Perry , McGees , Claffeys of Portumna , Dermot Kelly , to name a few . All long gone.
How many , if any , are still in business, or New Holland dealers ? Shortens ?
Of the Kerry ones, none of those names still exist, there is a Killarney Autos which is a long standing Ford car dealership, which may well have emerged from Killarney Motor works

Chair House Garage , JR Perry , McGees , Claffeys of Portumna , Dermot Kelly , to name a few . All long gone.
How many , if any , are still in business, or New Holland dealers ? Shortens ?
I would have thought Cavanagh's in Fermoy and Murphy's of Glenmore were the only ones still selling Ford/New Holland. Abbey Service in Wicklow are gone since about 1990/91.

All the ones up this end of the country are gone josie bourke castlebar Mayo, Peter Casey Roscommon, Henderson motors sligo.

Hanlon bros longford is long gone.
Jacksons in Cavan still alive and well, selling Ford cars.
I don't ever remember them selling tractors , although Ford tractors were popular in Cavan.

Thought the garage would have been knocked by now, I wasn't in Wicklow Town for a long time. Google streetview says it's still standing anyway

View attachment 72496
Still there, the roller door on the left was the doe centre for a long time and the rest was a cash and carry, both are now moved out to new buildings, not sure what’s in it now, there’s a crowd have trucks parked in the yard so not sure if they have the building too

Surprised to see Perrys only mentioned for Athy and not Kilkenny

As said Murphys still going, Motor Company closed last year.

We may give out about less dealers now but I wonder are there really that much fewer NH dealers?

I know some will argue that you should include Fiat dealers on top of those there.

Wouldnt the like of Mike Garahy , sell more New Hollands in the year , albeit second hand , than all the dealers put together sell new NH tractors ?
He is an official Case dealer this few years , and was never a NH dealer though having a massive amount of parts to suit them.

Surprised to see Perrys only mentioned for Athy and not Kilkenny

As said Murphys still going, Motor Company closed last year.

We may give out about less dealers now but I wonder are there really that much fewer NH dealers?

I know some will argue that you should include Fiat dealers on top of those there.
I'd say Perry's weren't open in Kilkenny at that stage?

I'd say Perry's weren't open in Kilkenny at that stage?

I was thinking that too, I'd have to check a book I've got which mentioned it before.

Should also remember in terms of volumes the tractor market those days was multiples of today.

New Holland combines , and Leyland tractors . I think they may have been the importers even ?
On the site where Murphy Machinery are now.

Leyland, they used to be where Murphy Machinery are now.

They went bang in the mid to late 80s.

N

N H trailed and self propelleds and balers too, 1890's and the like .

Weren't they doing Fendt & Mengele as well in latter years, or am I imagining it :scratchhead:

Back