Ford/New Holland

Except our produce has not kept pace with inflation, not a lot more than flat lined unfortunately.
Both my Grandfathers got £1.12p for a pound of wool and my Father could buy an acre of land from the harvest cheque off an acre of Wheat.

Except our produce has not kept pace with inflation, not a lot more than flat lined unfortunately.
Both my Grandfathers got £1.12p for a pound of wool and my Father could buy an acre of land from the harvest cheque off an acre of Wheat.

Wheat €2000 a tonne.......:scratchhead:

Last edited:
View attachment 57833

€136,000 !!!!! Converting pounds to euro @1.27 and using CSO WEBSITE....

Calculating historic values of money is a very inexact science, especially as you go back further. Do you consider individual net worth, purchasing power, or average income as the main criterion? Each have their advantages and problems, so I am always a little wary of placing too much reliance on straight calculators, they can only give an indication rather than exact figure, but are interesting none the less.

I remember the best farm in the parish selling for 500 pounds an acre

I bought land for under a £1000 a little over 30 years ago, good grazing ground, needing work and nourishment. I did have to pay 20.5 % interest on the money....The bank manager told me he didn't want see me back looking for the price of hanging a gate until I had it paid for . Told me , " Do you realise that money you have borrowed will double every 5 years if you let it slip. " Sound man , compared to the lads came after him horsing out money people who hadn't either a hope or a notion of paying it back themselves , leaving it to you and me to pay back instead.

@JohnBoy in particular will like this one

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-4610-tractor/19781378

MzM3ODA1MjQ0NWZlN2I5YTcxYTYzNDBiYTJlM2Q5YjhfG6j3b_D06Frlo2grqSwcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDg3NjIyODZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Back