Fresian heifers

podge 23

I was thinking of buying a few bulling/in calf heifers but lads are looking for between €1200 and €1300 for them this sounds mad to me what do ye think ?

I was thinking of buying a few bulling/in calf heifers but lads are looking for between €1200 and €1300 for them this sounds mad to me what do ye think ?
You're probably a little late for this maybe, you'd get them 400 cheaper in Feb March. If she's a good one she'll put €1750 in the tank for you in 2020. If she doesn't calve or has to go for some reason you'll do well to hang her up for €1,100.

Are you Spring calving podge?
I dont know if you ever came across the Irish grassland association but they held 2 farm walks last tuesday on 2 farms in athlone who started milking cows less than 6 years ago.
Any way to cut a long storey short both are chucking out well over 500kgs ms per cow from grass based herds, both lads put big emphasis on buying quality stock and its paying off big time.
If the herd you're buying stock from is a good one I wouldnt worry about price too much unless it was extortionate.
1300 is probably a bit much for them now tbh, I'd be thinking more like 1000/1100 if you were buying feb calving heifers

Looking to buy Autumn calvers , doesn't seem to be too many about this year. I wonder will there be many for sale at all?

Spring calving . So I would be better to hold of until the spring so .. ya I dunno will the price of calved heifers come back in the spring time or not ..

Spring calving . So I would be better to hold of until the spring so .. ya I dunno will the price of calved heifers come back in the spring time or not ..
If you have the grass I'd buy now if you could find good stock. They'll well settled come calving and be used to you and your farm. We haven't bought stock in a long time but I'd prefer buy incalf than calved

I have grass alrite and I could buy now only the prices are crazy at €1200 + for bulling/In calf heifers if she went wrong she would be a dear heifer ..? Good point about being settled and all that ..

I have grass alrite and I could buy now only the prices are crazy at €1200 + for bulling/In calf heifers if she went wrong she would be a dear heifer ..? Good point about being settled and all that ..
I bought freshly calves cows for that last spring. You’d buy empty cows still milking in oct/nov for handy money and milk them through the winter and next year.

Not many bulling in calf heifers around at the moment you mean is it glengare ?
It's just the wrong time of year, most lads only bull the heifers they need and sell the rest. Anyone selling in calf will sell them when the grass runs out.

Alot of them are from the UK. What's the story with buying in from the north etc. Is it hard to sell them as culls?

Looking to buy Autumn calvers , doesn't seem to be too many about this year. I wonder will there be many for sale at all?
Are lads swinging back to autumn again? Have autumn heifers we end up holding onto till the spring.

Are lads swinging back to autumn again? Have autumn heifers we end up holding onto till the spring.

No definitely not, Glanbias last scheme has pushed alot of the smaller winter milk lads like me out.

In terms of Incalf heifers the best time to buy I think is Xmas week, alot of lads are holding out until Jan, and plenty of sellers who have had their ones for sale for a good few weeks by then and nervous that they won't be able to offload them!

No definitely not, Glanbias last scheme has pushed alot of the smaller winter milk lads like me out.

In terms of Incalf heifers the best time to buy I think is Xmas week, alot of lads are holding out until Jan, and plenty of sellers who have had their ones for sale for a good few weeks by then and nervous that they won't be able to offload them!
I'd put a few extra in calf if I could sell them but the past few years you couldn't give them away in Xmas and I have a set amount of litres for my liquid contract so don't want to end up with heifers and a over supply and not getting paid for it

Back