FTMTA Paul Cooke Auction

I presume he wants to sell it directly from punchestown without transporting it home.
He is selling as seen so hopes for a quick profit with zero expense.
Might be as good an idea as any
Doubt he will pull it off unfortunately, I have one for sale that's definitely cleaner and I've only got two calls about it, neither were serious buyers :cry:

If any vendor wasnt upbeat about a sale they had voluntarily organised and are just a middle Man, why wouldn't they be happy!

There you have it Mr N. Reading between the lines of the press release (sent out four days after the event) I can't help but feel there is a wee element of lipstick on a piggy. They say that over a million was spent, but perhaps they were anticipating two million.

Last edited:
I was up at this Auction yesterday.
Can't comment on the tractor ring which was ring one because I was at ring two for the time I was there but noticed a few things.
Anything that was sold outright a bidding number needed to be shown and the auctioneer tried really hard to sell it often going down to bids as low as £25 but some bigger items including the Claydon drills were not sold, the auctioneer knocked them down very easily and no bidding number was looked for after sale.
Seen this sold ,went for €6800 I think and was actually sold.
Looked a very straight outfit
The whole non reserve auction wasn’t fully as it seemed,
The reason i asked about the berthoud elyte was because iv sold a few and just got another into stock ,i had seen the one in the auction previously advertised but i see the seller has it readvertised,so all wasn’t as it seemed,

The whole non reserve auction wasn’t fully as it seemed,
The reason i asked about the berthoud elyte was because iv sold a few and just got another into stock ,i had seen the one in the auction previously advertised but i see the seller has it readvertised,so all wasn’t as it seemed,

I have seen similar examples of original seller re advertising machinery that was supposedly sold at the auction. I bought a machine at it and my experience with the auctioneers wouldn’t encourage me to deal with them again.

I stated about how I was sceptical about this auction at the start of this thread, none of these dealers we're going to leave machines off at a tiny fraction of their value, this was always going to happen when it wasn't at their valuation a friend or a shadow would stick up their hand and the auctioneer would knock it down, a week later the dealer would have it again and that person "couldn't come up with the money" so unfortunately wink wink they have it back in their yard, they pay the auctioneer the 5% for running it through and loose a couple of hundred instead of a couple of thousand.

There was a lot of stuff advertised that i didn't see anything about afterwards, volvo loader from kellys, a selection of deutzs from tom shaw etc etc.

Ah now, you cant say that without telling us more :rolleyes2:

Long story but I put a proxy bid on a item, saw what it made at the auction knew that my bid was more than that so assumed I had got it. Rang on Monday to confirm and mysteriously my bid could not be found despite the deposit coming out of my credit card. A lot of phone calls followed during the week and then I was told that my bid didn’t win as it sold for a higher amount. Then a few days later I got a phone call from a member of their staff to know when whas I collecting the item I explained what had happened during then week and they laughed and said things are a bit messed up but at least you got the machine. Not a great way to conduct business in my view, I know that mistakes can happen but they should be dealt with quickly and more professionally than what happened with me. Now I just have to try and get a invoice from them...

I stated about how I was sceptical about this auction at the start of this thread, none of these dealers we're going to leave machines off at a tiny fraction of their value, this was always going to happen when it wasn't at their valuation a friend or a shadow would stick up their hand and the auctioneer would knock it down, a week later the dealer would have it again and that person "couldn't come up with the money" so unfortunately wink wink they have it back in their yard, they pay the auctioneer the 5% for running it through and loose a couple of hundred instead of a couple of thousand.

There were also some items missing from the published 'full' list of prices achieved. It looks as if they split the whole auction up into categories and then omitted to publish all the lists. I saw no mention of a grain drill list for instance, but it may have appeared since.

There were also some items missing from the published 'full' list of prices achieved. It looks as if they split the whole auction up into categories and then omitted to publish all the lists. I saw no mention of a grain drill list for instance, but it may have appeared since.
The tri axle Herron was something I was curious about, never saw it listed in any of the pictures after the sale, someone else might have.

A lot of stuff has ended back in dealers yards only recently after the auction, someone might have gotten a deal but very few I reckon as most was bid by dealers themselves

What was the point of the whole thing I wonder . If a lot of stuff has ended up back in dealers yards again . Have they not put more expense on machines they're finding hard to shift . The haulage to and from the auction wasn't free .

What was the point of the whole thing I wonder . If a lot of stuff has ended up back in dealers yards again . Have they not put more expense on machines they're finding hard to shift . The haulage to and from the auction wasn't free .
I guess they thought the gamble might pay off and all the advertising might cause a bit of hysteria among buyers in the same way that the BNM auctions saw machines probably making more than they were worth really
It hardly shows the FTMTA in a good light though, and will make any potential buyer totally sceptical about any future auctions.
Not only was the 'No reserve' part a total joke, but anyone that bought machines there were probably bidding against the seller.

I guess they thought the gamble might pay off and all the advertising might cause a bit of hysteria among buyers in the same way that the BNM auctions saw machines probably making more than they were worth really
It hardly shows the FTMTA in a good light though, and will make any potential buyer totally sceptical about any future auctions.
Not only was the 'No reserve' part a total joke, but anyone that bought machines there were probably bidding against the seller.

The whole episode does highlight the problem dealers and manufacturers have with shifting machinery that, let's be honest, nobody wants. Ireland is not a big market for tillage equipment at the best of times so the kit piling up in the yards is unlikely to make the money that went into producing or buying it, but hey, that's business, so what to do with it?

Mega auctions are obviously not going to work, on reflection it is unlikely that they ever would. Euroauctions, for instance, major on construction plant with a few tractors thrown in here and there. These machines are universal and can be used throughout the world, they have a global back up service and are a known quantity. Not so a seed drill from an obscure factory that turns out a few dozen machines a year. It's a whole different ball game and trying to apply it to little aul Ireland and its farm implements will end in disappointment as we have seen. Smaller local auctions will work for locally known machines but I doubt that there is much point in dumping large items from afar in them as they will be shied away from. Basically that leaves the the traditional method of adverts in the press be they online or print, and it's worth noting that the magazines are still packed with listings and dealer adverts so that avenue is still healthy. At the end of the day any item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it and the auction is the most honest indicator of that price. If nobody wants to pay anything then time to bite the bullet and either let it go for pennies or seek a buyer through the press in the hope that a slightly better price might be achieved in time, perhaps abroad, but it's reaching those foreign buyers that may not prove to be easy.

Last edited:
Long story but I put a proxy bid on a item, saw what it made at the auction knew that my bid was more than that so assumed I had got it. Rang on Monday to confirm and mysteriously my bid could not be found despite the deposit coming out of my credit card. A lot of phone calls followed during the week and then I was told that my bid didn’t win as it sold for a higher amount. Then a few days later I got a phone call from a member of their staff to know when whas I collecting the item I explained what had happened during then week and they laughed and said things are a bit messed up but at least you got the machine. Not a great way to conduct business in my view, I know that mistakes can happen but they should be dealt with quickly and more professionally than what happened with me. Now I just have to try and get a invoice from them...

Good luck with that. I know a man that cant get a substantial amount of vat from them never mind an invoice! A bad outfit to deal with indeed to say the least

Good luck with that. I know a man that cant get a substantial amount of vat from them never mind an invoice! A bad outfit to deal with indeed to say the least

It was actually straightforward. I rang the office and it was emailed to me with in a few minutes!

Back