Gadgets

Discussion in 'Farm Technology' started by Bog Man, Jul 5, 2017.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Well-Known Member

Fascinating stuff @Bog Man

Have you factored any failsafe into these systems yet?

I work in IT and a big potential issue with automation is trusting it too much. We've had many problems over the years where we thought we were great lads until the automation stopped and we never realised.

Ideally you want an independent monitor to the automation and a way of flagging discrepancies, but even something independent which monitors the regularity of your data could help. It's no good thinking the oats are at 18 degrees when in fact the temperature hasn't reported in a week.

Just something to be mindful of. IOT and automation have many potential applications in agriculture

Bog Man likes this.
  2. Bog Man

Bog Man Well-Known Member

I walk up the Oats in my bare feet to test the temperature but do not tell anyone eating porridge.

nashmach, eddie86, towbar and 2 others like this.
  3. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Well-Known Member

Do you sell to whoever's making it for ALDI?

4. Bog Man

Bog Man Well-Known Member

I was only joking. We also use handheld temperature probes as well as sticking our arms into the pile. By monitoring the grain and using fans linked to the weather forecast we reduced the grain to about four degrees last winter as well as saving on electricity by only blowing the grain on cold nights.

Paw and towbar like this.