Glas 3

Soissons

Another dry day and all drilled up! Glas 3 is supposed to be opening next week and I was thinking about applying.The option I would most likely consider would be for cover crops and maybe min-till. Has anyone any opinions or experiences that they might like to share? I have about 240 ac. of tillage ( winter and spring barley,w.wheat, spring beans,winter osr,and fodder beet .) I also have 120 ewes and make a fair bit of hay for sale.

A bit of Wild bird cover would be my first preference....€900/ha.....€€€€€

A bit of Wild bird cover would be my first preference....€900/ha.....€€€€€

Fallow is a much better option and will leave more money than wild bird cover which has to be planted annually for five years.

I'd go with fallow and green cover.
Green cover can be rotated around the farm too, off all the schemes and regulations over the past number of years, this is a good practical scheme for farmers.

Fallow is a much better option and will leave more money than wild bird cover which has to be planted annually for five years.

Green cover can be rotated around the farm too, off all the schemes and regulations over the past number of years, this is a good practical scheme for farmers.

Sorry, I should have clarified a bit.

I would be placing the wild bird cover on poor land. In our own case, this land was actually idle so we wouldn't be losing the margin from a normal crop.

Is fallow a good job ? Ie would you have a bettercrop the following year

In our case, I know that if we left field margins or a field in fallow, stuff like Canary grass would go nuts and destroy the place.
Its endemic in this region and we have operate zero tolerance to avoid it getting established. Thankfully we dont have the bromes.
Topping such areas to stop seed return would be a waste of time as Canary grass puts up a new head in a few weeks.

Where we plant the Wild Bird was idle anyway (wet and lowlying) so theres much less risk.

Every single crop we grow gets a graminicide (Axial in barley/wheat, Stratos Ultra in beans and rape). Cant take the risk when we are into growing seed.

Another dry day and all drilled up! Glas 3 is supposed to be opening next week and I was thinking about applying.The option I would most likely consider would be for cover crops and maybe min-till. Has anyone any opinions or experiences that they might like to share? I have about 240 ac. of tillage ( winter and spring barley,w.wheat, spring beans,winter osr,and fodder beet .) I also have 120 ewes and make a fair bit of hay for sale.
1200 metres of arable margin in one field here. Old grass seed, cocksfoot and Timothy, 2 runs of the one pass around the field and 70 cent per metre. 840 quid for less than 2 acres.
3 ha of fallow land with same seed for 5 years at 750 per ha.
10 ha of cover crops at what I think is 155 per ha.(open to correction on rate there).
Throw in a few bird and bat boxes and it's well worth the planners fee when grain price is peanuts.

I think it is something to do with a few small areAs of the country such as the burren and protecting these with extra measures if that makes sence

My read is yours plus what we were told at a meeting on it is that it's for select areas where certain breeds of birds are known to take up residence such as twite (sp), west Waterford was mentioned (I think around the Comeragh mountains).

What do lads think of GLAS now?

Reading some of the articles on the various publications this week, it's going to be way oversubscribed.

Tier 3 certainly won't get in and perhaps some Tier 2 too.

I know in our own case, we have abandoned ship on this one as it would be Tier 3 only and to be honest we'd struggle to get anywhere near the 5k limit as we have lots of coppicing done in previous schemes.

What do lads think of GLAS now?

Reading some of the articles on the various publications this week, it's going to be way oversubscribed.

Tier 3 certainly won't get in and perhaps some Tier 2 too.

I know in our own case, we have abandoned ship on this one as it would be Tier 3 only and to be honest we'd struggle to get anywhere near the 5k limit as we have lots of coppicing done in previous schemes.

I know that we are not tillage farmers. Been following recent information on it. Really thankful that I got into Glas 1. Made up the €5k very easy with the permanent pasture option and 800 meters of coppicing. My father was going to wait until Glas 2 to apply - a sort of wait and see how others get in approach, but I pushed him a bit on it and he went in under tier 3 and made up the points with bird and bat boxes and he was accepted. Again, €5k was easy to make up with traditional hay meadow and coppicing.

It's grant money for not too much work. But they made it much harder to get money from Glas 2 and Glas 3.

GLAS 3 acceptance letter arrived yesterday which is a nice bit of news. We're in a partnership so we will have a nice bit of waste ground going into Wild Bird (a partnership will allow you increased limits on the various actions). Have to do some cover crops too after the harvest. Some sand for the bees and bird and bat boxes.

GLAS 3 acceptance letter arrived yesterday which is a nice bit of news. We're in a partnership so we will have a nice bit of waste ground going into Wild Bird (a partnership will allow you increased limits on the various actions). Have to do some cover crops too after the harvest. Some sand for the bees and bird and bat boxes.
yes got our acceptance letter yesterday also :thumbup:

Got mine today and all ok. @CORK I'm in a partnership as well, didn't know about increased limits. Does that take you over the 5k?

Got mine today and all ok. @CORK I'm in a partnership as well, didn't know about increased limits. Does that take you over the 5k?

I haven't added it up but yes it should do. We have 3 in our partnership so I think in theory they are tripled

Are you sure? So in theory you can get 3 GLAS payments yes/no?

No, a Registered Partnership will only get one payment (and have one application fee) but as far as I know (I'm no expert on GLAS) the limits for the various actions can be raised by the same factor as the number of members of the partnership.

An expert opinion would be required though!

Back