Glas hedge

Discussion in 'Forestry' started by muckymanor, Jan 17, 2017.

1. muckymanor

muckymanor Well-Known Member

We have to put in just under 200 meters of a new hedge for glas before the end of february.
    I have a lad coming with a digger in the next week or 2 and I'm going to get him to clean off the ground as it is along a drain and there are some briars growing. I'll get him to ruffle up and make a little mound about 2ft wide for me to plant the trees into.

I have to plant 6 trees per meter in a double row. I plant to plant whitethorn and mix some holly into it.

What size plants should I be planting? I will be cutting them off at 10cm.

Should I be laying terram or a roll of polyethene to keep weeds down or will a hedge grow without the polyethene?

Anyone got recommendations of the best place to but the trees keeping in mind both budget and quality?

2. WestCorkBoy

WestCorkBoy Well-Known Member

None so hardy in Wicklow, roll out strips of polythene after trimming plants and push them through and weigh down with clean grit ( type you would put around a sewer pipe)

muckymanor likes this.
  3. bruceythom

bruceythom Well-Known Member

Put in a good deal of REPS hedging back in the day. Get a good sharp spade, stick it straight down in to the sod, pull back the handle to open up a slice enough to pop the sapling in to. A 2 man operation. 40cm Hawthorn is nice stuff to work with. Ruffling up the ground makes it easy to plant, but also makes it easy for weeds to get a foothold. I have done it with terram, and I've done it with 1000 gauge polythene, and tbh, I think they're both a great way of punching in time.

laoisfarmer, nashmach and Bgrove like this.
  4. JOHNNY BOY

JOHNNY BOY Well-Known Member

I have similar amount to do next month myself for Glas.
    The best I have seen for weed suppression is the white heavy duty roofing felt. Role it out, spread a bit of small stone or maintenance on it. Then just Pearce a hole for the plant and place it.
    The felt works out cheaper than the Terram and have seen it in place for over five years working with great success.

muckymanor likes this.
  5. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

Very similar experience to Brucey. Our last one had no plastic under it.

Try None so Hardy for the trees.

bruceythom likes this.
  6. WestCorkBoy

WestCorkBoy Well-Known Member

I'd have to say I'd never plat a hedge without a weed barrier, I just cut old silage plastic into strips about a metre wide so costs very little, I have planted hedged in reps and glass as well as around the garden and I think you've a lot less competition from weeds if you put a barrier down meaning more plants surviving and a thicker more stickproof hedge. That's my opinion, each to their own.

7. Liam Flanagan

Liam Flanagan Well-Known Member

I planted one for reps about 250 mtrs at the time and I didn't bother with weed barrier, I just cut the quicks fairly high and left it to its own devices, whitethorn quicks were light enough and the same time my mate who had plenty of time on his hands planted the same as me but used the weed barrier and the difference in the rate of growth was huge, the grass was choking mine but it only slowed it down and everyone of them still grew fine, his hedge was pretty full in 5 yrs and mine would truthfully have been probably two years in growth behind, one definitely anyhow but I wasn't in any race and still don't regret not using Barrier, too much work in my opinion. I have 110 mtrs to do now for Glas and same will apply, no barrier and only difference this time is the 6 plants pet mtr and the quicks I got are a year older and way stronger.

JOHNNY BOY likes this.
  8. muckymanor

muckymanor Well-Known Member

Massive price variations from various suppliers for whitethorn and massive differences in size with the slips. Sample quoted prices were 40c each for 40cm, 50c for 60cm and 60c for 80cm to 90cm. However 2 of us came together this week and I approached a few of the bigger suppliers looking for 3 different receipts which will satisfy Glas for each of us, but paying in one go pre collection and the best price that we managed to get was 2750 x 60cm for €1000 or just under 37c each. It's a great saving in my opinion.

We have all of the coppicing just tidied up this week and as I type we are preparing ground for a new whitethorn hedge. We have a little bit of infilling to do in the coppicing over the next week as well, but it's good to see in the spec that they will accept willow, ash and blackthorn as a coppice hedge too. It should work our grand for us.