Glyphosate and potential ban

Not glyphosphate, but a related matter nonetheless.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37089385

Also, I was talking to a farmer this morning who told me he sprayed off a crop yesterday. When I asked him when he was hoping to cut his response was "hopefully before the end of the week". Do these people live under rocks or what's the story.
Sure it's always been that way with some farmers. Careless and don't give a damn but are the first to whinge when a product is removed from the market. Hormones in livestock were banned because of reckless behaviour and a lot more stuff will end up the same if lads don't smarten up.

If this tallowamine part of the formulation of the cheaper products goes I presume this in turn will make it expensive again, anyone know???

could there may be more to this that just the issues on glyphosate. It could be GMO related as that was heavily focused on glyphosate resistance. Some of the patents for early gmo plants have expired. Maybe certain chemical manufacturers wouldn't be all that worried to see glyphosate banned especially if something new in pipeline... = $$$

Posted in June in the Glyphosate Vote thread as I too am surprised why Monsanto stayed so quiet. So maybe its not the GM issue but a new formula.

I see a petition doing the rounds on Facebook urging people to sign up to support the ban. It's full of the usual misinformed scaremongering, "We know what a constant use of Glyphosate will mean for us, the people of Europe: sick people, dead animals, burnt grass, brown leaves, and a loss of biodiversity.", if it pops up in front of anyone it would do no harm to point out the inaccuracies and add a few sound facts to the discussion.

Here's another little story for the glyphosphate debate -

Gluten has been in wheat since it was first grown. Sure, there have always been folks who have problems digesting wheat or grains with gluten. Today, about 50% of the world have problems with gluten. (1) Something has changed.

That “something” is glyphosate.

http://369news.net/gluten-intolerance-glyphosate-poisoning/

Not sure who Granny Good Food is but she makes an interesting point.

Where did they arrive at the statistic that about 50% of the world have a gluten problem, That has to be bullshit.

Here's another little story for the glyphosphate debate -

Gluten has been in wheat since it was first grown. Sure, there have always been folks who have problems digesting wheat or grains with gluten. Today, about 50% of the world have problems with gluten. (1) Something has changed.

That “something” is glyphosate.

http://369news.net/gluten-intolerance-glyphosate-poisoning/

Not sure who Granny Good Food is but she makes an interesting point.

yep, another "story".

another "theory" created by someone who is probably trying to make a name for themselves.

from what i know about wheat production worldwide, there must only be a tiny fraction of milling wheat treated with Glyphosate.

most of the wheat treated with pre-harvest glyphosate is in damp regions like northern Europe - the very places that aren't the real milling wheat regions.

most of the world's milling wheat barely sees a weed spray not to mind pre harvest roundup!!! Russia, the baltics, Canada, Kansas, Oklahoma, Dakotas, Australia.

GM wheat does not exist commercially (as in Glyphosate tolerant).

"Something has changed", this something surely can't have anything to do with the move towards ingesting vast amounts of highly processed food, alcohol, recreational and prescription drugs, smoking, stress of modern life et etc.

Oh and those nasty chemical companies also are involved with drug production - that definitely proves that they are down right evil.....ffs.

This article is complete and utter bullshit in my humble opinion.

Wheat gives my brother heartburn, his wife often buys organic and no difference.
More muddying the waters, claim glyphosate causes this or that without any proof, tell enough lies about it and people can pick whichever bullshite they wish to be true and farming has to try to each and every one of them.

Agree more bull crap. Id still advise any farmer to only use pre-harvest glyphosate when absolutely necessary, its overused I think and not needed as much as some people use it.

Today, about 50% of the world have problems with gluten.

85% of statistics are not really statistics.
100% of the world have problems with gluten. It sometimes causes terrible wind because of the other food that it is consumed with. But only 1% of the world's population are actually clinically diagnosed with coeliac disease. And there's no denying that maybe some people have a problem with glyphosate just like some people have problems with dairy or nuts or soya. But is there any proper scientific evidence to show that the increase in people having problems with gluten are actually related to glyphosate use as opposed to made up figures. If you go back to the report that you linked, it links documents which were written about previous studies, but these studies are never actually linked, verified or clarified. In fact, the article that your linked document uses as evidence is actually only somebody's personal

blog. https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/study-monsantos-roundup-causes-gluten-intolerance/

No offence, but anyone can write anything and then link it a couple of articles later in order to make people believe that the what they are talking about is actually scientific evidence, when it's not. It's only a personal opinion.

85% of statistics are not really statistics.
100% of the world have problems with gluten. It sometimes causes terrible wind because of the other food that it is consumed with. But only 1% of the world's population are actually clinically diagnosed with coeliac disease. And there's no denying that maybe some people have a problem with glyphosate just like some people have problems with dairy or nuts or soya. But is there any proper scientific evidence to show that the increase in people having problems with gluten are actually related to glyphosate use as opposed to made up figures. If you go back to the report that you linked, it links documents which were written about previous studies, but these studies are never actually linked, verified or clarified. In fact, the article that your linked document uses as evidence is actually only somebody's personal

blog. https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/study-monsantos-roundup-causes-gluten-intolerance/

No offence, but anyone can write anything and then link it a couple of articles later in order to make people believe that the what they are talking about is actually scientific evidence, when it's not. It's only a personal opinion.
I just look at it from a purely rational point of view. If it costs and if the needle is heading towards the red of unecessary, then leave it out. I think there needs to be a small few tweaks in practice (late season insecticides and glyphos on food grade products would not put them on top of my shopping list.)

Aye, that 50% figure seems way of the top and without any qualification or supporting reference from the author I think it can be safely discounted.

I've since looked round and there is though, quite some concern about wheat allergies in the states, but they do like their food scares over there so that must be taken into account. However, there is still a fair bit of uncertainty over the subject and if nothing else it proves just how fast a rumour can get around the world while the truth is putting its boots on.

The future of Glyphosate is looking a lot more positive according to the Journal today. The French have backed down following farmer protests and it looks like Merkel won’t need the support of the Greens.

The future of Glyphosate is looking a lot more positive according to the Journal today. The French have backed down following farmer protests and it looks like Merkel won’t need the support of the Greens.
Green light for you all to start no-tilling so

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah well said there @Louis mc. Mr Rod Calder-Potts is not helping the tillage man, does he want every tillage farmer to go organic? He'll put us back in the middle ages!

Back