Goldcrop open days

Will there be one of these grass weed demo's up in dunleer soon?

No plans to be honest.

Teagasc did one in Co. Louth already this summer so I asked them if they were planning one in the south and that’s how it happened.

Reactions: Bcl
I wasn’t sure where to put this as it covers both Beet & Maize!

All are welcome!!

Just a reminder for anyone who is interested.

Goldcrop will be holding Beet & Maize open mornings this coming week;

10:30am on Tuesday at Cobh in Cork & 11am on Thursday in Carlow. Both events will finish with food at the field.

Varieties will be discussed, both new and existing and also discussion on the loss of maize seed dressings and also some interesting new herbicide tolerant beet (branded as Conviso)

Directions are on the PDF in my earlier post.

Just a reminder for anyone who is interested.

Goldcrop will be holding Beet & Maize open mornings this coming week;

10:30am on Tuesday at Cobh in Cork & 11am on Thursday in Carlow. Both events will finish with food at the field.

Varieties will be discussed, both new and existing and also discussion on the loss of maize seed dressings and also some interesting new herbicide tolerant beet (branded as Conviso)

Directions are on the PDF in my earlier post.
Hoping to make it tomorrow!

That's picture postcard stuff, like what you would see in Holland or Belgium.
I thought you had the drone for checking on horny ewes up on the mountain. 🧐
On a serious note , for the non tillage members, what's the story with all the plots . Are you trialling varieties or is it treatments ??
Thanks, it’s a bit of a labour of love.

It’s pretty much all variety testing. Most varieties are planted 4 times in a randomised manner to maximise accuracy. Some plots receive no fungicide to test their genetic resistance.
I have plots in other fields around the area too (two wheat trials and a spring barley trial).

The poor little ford had its work cut out on those! Do you end up mowing out the strips between plots like in the oilseed or is lack of sowing and spraying for weeds etc enough to keep it down?
I’d say she burns about 1.5 tanks of diesel per year planting all the plots, it just runs at low revs.

The trials combine cuts out those strips before it then harvests the plots. The ends of the plots get trimmed in the process.
If they were left open it would just fill with weeds and birds.

I’d say she burns about 1.5 tanks of diesel per year planting all the plots, it just runs at low revs.

The trials combine cuts out those strips before it then harvests the plots. The ends of the plots get trimmed in the process.
If they were left open it would just fill with weeds and birds.
That was why I wondered if they were mowed out early, it was just they are so obvious to see this early in the oilseed that made me wonder!

Lads anyone know the variety of red clover Goldcrop use in Diamond Red Clover Silage? Can't find it anywhere.
The varieties are changing depending on what stock we are using in mixes, at the moment the variety is Salino but can change on a weekly basis.

Not sure where to put this so as it relates to Goldcrop I thought I’d pop it in here.
Mods feel free to move if you like.

We try to get to visit the breeding companies that we represent in the Irish market. It cements relationships and also gives the breeders an indication of what the Irish market requires from varieties.

You’d learn so much from these people.

This week we visited two German breeders and one Danish.

BYDV tolerance (and also resistance) is going to become a standard trait in winter barley.

Gene editing will be allowed in Europe, expectations must be managed as it’s not a silver bullet (but it will be a very useful tool).

Things are very dry in East Germany. Northern Germany & Denmark have good moisture levels in general at this point.

Some fantastic soil in East Germany but rainfall is quite a limiting factor.

614ACC93-C1C7-472C-BE03-E89EE7A47447.jpeg051E4C4C-C99C-4870-8C93-A6CB53A43C28.jpeg8A2A6351-2C20-49A5-9AD8-62ED311113C9.jpeg6413195D-B7A1-4EE2-B7BD-376883384E9D.jpeg2973B056-EDD8-423D-9DA2-BA4E5A1E3352.jpegBE17E71A-B736-42FD-98B0-D948C52FCDA5.jpeg232674D1-1B1E-4875-A4C6-8A26EE9A2678.jpeg1F11F933-A90D-4C63-B59C-13DB14A4D05B.jpegACF1666C-6421-46D8-8F59-38B0416E0191.jpegE83B8DCB-4AC7-42D1-AD1C-03EABFACE752.jpeg

@Crops, was there any hail damage in N Germany and Denmark? There were some hardy storms up that way.
I was caught in one of those thundery hail storms in Denmark, hailstones perhaps 15mm in diameter. Very heavy but short lived and no damage mentioned from anyone I spoke to.

Back