Grain prices

I think that might be a foolish assumption by them, the area of cereals dropped by near 40,000 acres last year alone and I don't see that trend changing with their €135 for surplus brewing barley.
I agree with you there but Boortmalt you'd imagine must have a fair idea of how things are looking?.

Havent they announced that the seed price this year will be same as feed seed price, so the way its probably heading is that it will be grown as a feed crop and if it passes spec for malt you'll get a 10e bonus, they will buy it off anyone. Isnt it that way in uk , no malt contracts.

Was talking to a man last night in the know ... comments made were that if they want to change the brewing/distilling ratio then the 2 year deal will be scrapped and a new deal done with a higher price for distilling... boormalt do not want to import barley ..... diageo are the real profit makers , any hint of boormalt making extra money and diageo kick up and want it ..... I passed the comment about working on the wheat mastiff, he thought it was fair but didn’t know what malting barley was making in France, maybe that what the price should be set on to which I replied if they don’t want to import barley then the world markets shouldn’t come into play and a premium should be paid for Irish barley.
Jameson popped up in conservation also and we both agreed that it was a disgrace that 70% of the grain they use is imported maize from France and they sell it as an Irish product ....

Or Does it mean that they just want grain from the Athy hinterland and more closures of branches elsewhere, in particular in Wexford?

Anything is possible....

They are not going to get it up here. Never seen lads as fed up as they are now with Boortmalt. Alot of winter cereals gone in what was traditionally a spring malt barley area !

I reckon there is more chance of Athy being closed down than a new plant being built. There was a plan for a big investment in the intake of the sugar factory in Carlow a couple of years before it was closed .

Check this out on Agriland - Boortmalt to extend Athy operations by 30,000t https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/boortmalt-to-extend-athy-operations-by-30000t/
looks like they asumme farmers will produce no matter what price they pay, the protests don't seem to bother them by the looks of it

Heard all this before. It seems when the spotlight is on them they announce a big expansion. In 2011 when Boortmalt took over they announced big plans for upgrading the athy grain intake. They went and got planning permission for the development but a spade never went into the ground.
Gave growers free transport to keep them sweet. Then pulled it after two years

I reckon there is more chance of Athy being closed down than a new plant being built. There was a plan for a big investment in the intake of the sugar factory in Carlow a couple of years before it was closed .
The only reason the Athy intake is there at all is the canal to Dublin. Malt growers in Wexford have been doing ok compared to feed growers every year other than this that I can remember. The bonus would often have been €1,000 on a 20t load.
A lot of their growers have large legacy SFP's and as a result have long ceased to make rational business decisions. Growing grain when you have a €50k safety net is not a bad life.

I remember going to mill with loads 25 yrs ago and being told to tip it there, or over there. Feed or malting. No contract craic, it's all for feed down here now

Don't roll over easy on Boortmalt lads.

Premium food grade product versus coarse animal feed grains...nobrainer.

Was offered €368 for harvest '18 OSR. Very tempted to sell a little.
What are your prices there atm?

Or Does it mean that they just want grain from the Athy hinterland and more closures of branches elsewhere, in particular in Wexford?

Anything is possible....
Well heard last week that Enniscorthy is closed for this year and all been switched to Kavanaghs of Ballycarney and Doyles of Cooladine

Anybody reckon the radiation leak will hit Russian wheat prices?

Or am I indulging in a little fanciful schadenfreude....

Back