Grain prices

You would really wonder what the point of that trial was, citrus brought 1000’s of miles across the ocean, and it’s expensive and scarce. Such as waste of money trialing that
And of course adding an extra source of good fibre will help off set the reduction in the quality of ration. The addition of 10/15% beet pulp, or even dare I say rolled oats, would have had better results than any of the other options. But wouldn't have kept us tillage farmers trying to grow cheaper rations for Glanbia?????????
I know who brings teagasc tillage "advisors" on all expenses paid junkets, but who looks after the poor boys and girls in Grange???????

And of course adding an extra source of good fibre will help off set the reduction in the quality of ration. The addition of 10/15% beet pulp, or even dare I say rolled oats, would have had better results than any of the other options. But wouldn't have kept us tillage farmers trying to grow cheaper rations for Glanbia?????????
I know who brings teagasc tillage "advisors" on all expenses paid junkets, but who looks after the poor boys and girls in Grange???????

We've been using oats in our balancer ration for the past few years, replacing soya hulls, which someone once described as bedding.
We increased the amount of oats included in the ration this year, feeding 1.6kg of oats this year, pleased with the performance of the cattle, went with a few this week and we're happy with weights and fat covers.
Not very scientific I know, it's hard to beat good quality grain.

We've been using oats in our balancer ration for the past few years, replacing soya hulls, which someone once described as bedding.
We increased the amount of oats included in the ration this year, feeding 1.6kg of oats this year, pleased with the performance of the cattle, went with a few this week and we're happy with weights and fat covers.

I saw Gerry Giggins was promoting oats in rations some time back too. I remember seeing whole crop oats being cut on a very large scale for dairy herds in the Californian Central Valley. It was closer to being ripe than the wholecrop that’s practiced here.

That Teagasc trial smells like something pushed by someone who imports citrus pulp. They’ve already pushed maize to replace wheat, now it looks like they’re targeting barley.
Imported by products do nothing for the Irish economy.

You should have seen the fuss that the importers made when they weren’t consulted in some of the plans that were presented to the minister by the tillage stakeholder group.

Glanbia dried grain prices for Nov 2018 at 16.03.18: Dried Wheat @ €176/t; Dried Barley @ €173/t. Contact a business manager before 5pm today to forward sell.

You should have seen the fuss that the importers made when they weren’t consulted in some of the plans that were presented to the minister by the tillage stakeholder group.
This doesn’t surprise me at all and confirms that any attempts to introduce Irish-only or GM-free rations are going to encounter serious hurdles along the way!

Thats interesting about the oats. I spoke to 2 different men with 2 different mills last year when coming up with my own odd ball ration mix and both dismissed oats and advised me to go with soya hulls which I did.

Thats interesting about the oats. I spoke to 2 different men with 2 different mills last year when coming up with my own odd ball ration mix and both dismissed oats and advised me to go with soya hulls which I did.
I am a firm believer in the advantages of Oats in the diet of all growing, pregnant or milking stock, but less so for fatting stock. That said it has to better than Soya hulls and other rubbish fillers put in mixes. It is completely under valued at the moment and if I was short of foddder I would be looking no further than Oats to spread what I had left.

I am a firm believer in the advantages of Oats in the diet of all growing, pregnant or milking stock, but less so for fatting stock. That said it has to better than Soya hulls and other rubbish fillers put in mixes. It is completely under valued at the moment and if I was short of foddder I would be looking no further than Oats to spread what I had left.
That was my thinking at the time. Soya hulls are there to help keep the animals stomach right but it's contributing nothing to that animals back(weight). The fact that 2 nutrition experts dismissed oats was enough to deter me as you'd expect those lads to know what their on about.

Glanbia dried grain prices for Nov 2018 at 16.03.18: Dried Wheat @ €176/t; Dried Barley @ €173/t. Contact a business manager before 5pm today to forward sell.

I doubt the business managers were too busy at that.

Does anyone know if Teagasc are undertaking any trials around other protein sources bar soya? I'm thinking in light of Barrowsiders comment above. Given the big increase in the area sown to beans it would be a logical move but Maybe it's a bit like Dougal in Father Ted :lol:

How much is a ton are soya hulls here?
Perhaps I'm becoming more cynical as the years pass, it seems clear to me that there's more of a margin to made by including some of theses imported feeds over other product choices.
Someone better educated than I, will explain it better, isn't soya hulls very low in starch?
Oats is an underrated feed imo.

Perhaps I'm becoming more cynical as the years pass, it seems clear to me that there's more of a margin to made by including some of theses imported feeds over other product choices.
Someone better educated than I, will explain it better, isn't soya hulls very low in starch?

Cropping patterns change and respond to various factors. Oats as a feed generally faded away with horses and the growing science of nutrition, a discipline that only considered the macro factors of a potential feed stock, mainly its energy content. The emphasis later turned to protein but in both of these cases oats lost out to wheat and, to a lesser extent, barley. Barley itself would have probably lost out to wheat if it wasn't for other considerations such as the need to spread the farming season and break crops. Other factors which may have maintained the popularity of oats were not considered important in the brave new world of the green revolution, and their lower yield was never going to help matters.

Soya meal has around four times the protein content of wheat, which is the main reason for its inclusion.

soya hulls have about 5% starch and oats 43% or so my college notes say

We include rolled toasted oats in a simple ration fed to weanlings and find stock more lively with a nice shiney coat as a result. As far as I'm aware there's a maximum inclusion rate for oats in ruminant diets above which the high oil content of oats can upset the balance of the rumen. If memory serves me right that maximum is 15%.

We include rolled toasted oats in a simple ration fed to weanlings and find stock more lively with a nice shiney coat as a result. As far as I'm aware there's a maximum inclusion rate for oats in ruminant diets above which the high oil content of oats can upset the balance of the rumen. If memory serves me right that maximum is 15%.
Never heard that, I would have fed Ewes on rations containing 80/90% oats and know a good few people who fed weanlings/yearlings on high rates of whole oats, I think it was common in Scotland to feed whole oats to weanlings/yearlings.

Never heard that, I would have fed Ewes on rations containing 80/90% oats and know a good few people who fed weanlings/yearlings on high rates of whole oats, I think it was common in Scotland to feed whole oats to weanlings/yearlings.
I was at a conference "Oats 2020" in the U.K. a couple of years ago all about the promotion of oats in food, feed, pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals etc. where this maximum inclusion rate due to oil content was cited as the main barrier to increasing oat useage in feed. I'll try dig out the notes.

I use soya hulls for fibre and distillers as protein along with my own rolled barley. Handier to get hulls than oats.
We used to feed weanlingswith oats on its own years ago. It would probably have benefited from extra protein , but was a lot better than what a lot of weanlings were getting.
Oats will do better than barley on heavy ground or land lacking in nutrients.
Here is what's on the last docket I got for the soya hulls , and it's costing €200 A ton.
20180317_205934.jpg

I have fed feds "supposedly" high levels of Oil and never had a problem, always found tannins a bigger issue than oil

Back