Grain prices

They will want to make sure the have high calcium soils and a propper inoculant. But I'm sure they know that already. Would lupins be more appropriate for ireland?

iirc both lupins and soya were trialled in the east of England with very little success. Compared to there we can't even grow high protein wheat because we have less sunshine.

iirc both lupins and soya were trialled in the east of England with very little success. Compared to there we can't even grow high protein wheat because we have less sunshine.
A farmer up this way tried lupins a couple of years ago and cut them in late October even though they still weren't ripe. Current varieties not suitable for this climate.

Now that you say it I think one of the guys who writes in Classic Tractor is growing soya. He's based in Cambridgeshire anyway.

Th
. they used to pay those prices before the protein payment was introduced, i often got in excess of 250 per ton for peas instead of 190 now
Are reduced prices due to supply outstripping demand or is it another example of merchants taking "their share" of farmers Europe money? A cynical thought I know.

Anyone still considering sowing spring beans this year?
I will sow them up till the 20th of April. I might drop a field of Spring Wheat instead of Beans .
My thinking it is a wetter field and would be due Beans next year and would be awkward enough to sow early so if beans are being sown late this is the year to do it in that field .

With still plenty of stubble fields around here in Drogheda, whats it like down south? Much spring sowing going on..., Havent seen any sown field just ploughed... Any takers on a glorious may time?

20 sowed here beside us on Saturday - one pass straight onto ground that was plough 4 weeks ago.
I was surprised but it was actually reasonably dry but did not meet the criteria "if its not fit for rolling don't sow"
Hope to start tomorrow on our own.

20 sowed here beside us on Saturday - one pass straight onto ground that was plough 4 weeks ago.
I was surprised but it was actually reasonably dry but did not meet the criteria "if its not fit for rolling don't sow"
Hope to start tomorrow on our own.

Sowed 21 acres Friday evening Saturday morning here, I ploughed it before the first lot of snow and gave it a run of the vaderstad nz Friday morning, dry enough, part of one headland might not be great but glad to have it in the ground, rolled Saturday evening.

Actually on rolling how many days after is safe to roll? That was sowed Saturday would it be ok tomorrow as he asked me to roll it. Good and dry now here as strong wind very little rain

Actually on rolling how many days after is safe to roll? That was sowed Saturday would it be ok tomorrow as he asked me to roll it. Good and dry now here as strong wind very little rain

Should be no problem once the soil is dry enough (at depth, not just on the top).
If the grain was peeping then you could damage it but it’s hardly at that point yet.

Should be no problem once the soil is dry enough (at depth, not just on the top).
If the grain was peeping then you could damage it but it’s hardly at that point yet.

A nice light handy tractor with wide tyres if possible.

Back on grain prices topic,

I’d not be surprised if grain prices go up.

Weather has been bad in a number of countries, 7 have applied for derogation on the 3 crop rule.
A large part of North America is having really cold weather, delaying plantings.

Spoke to a cereal breeder in Lincolnshire yesterday, he said it can’t be a good sign to see his neighbour extracting the sower and it’s tractor from a field with his Quadtrac.

A merchant told me that he knows he is eating into barley that he has already sold to a broker. Already had to buy some back which cost him €25 more than what he sold it for.

Straights are rising apparently and pulling grain prices with them.

Straw will be a very valuable commodity too......(dear in the UK too I’m told...)

Back