Grain prices

Ju
Back on grain prices topic,

I’d not be surprised if grain prices go up.

Weather has been bad in a number of countries, 7 have applied for derogation on the 3 crop rule.
A large part of North America is having really cold weather, delaying plantings.

Spoke to a cereal breeder in Lincolnshire yesterday, he said it can’t be a good sign to see his neighbour extracting the sower and it’s tractor from a field with his Quadtrac.

A merchant told me that he knows he is eating into barley that he has already sold to a broker. Already had to buy some back which cost him €25 more than what he sold it for.

Straights are rising apparently and pulling grain prices with them.

Straw will be a very valuable commodity too......(dear in the UK too I’m told...)
Was thinking the same , talking to a merchant the other day and he was offering 160 for feed barley (if buying inputs from him) , it’s tempting but I think I’ll hold a little longer.

Got €195 for the last of the aerated barley last week. Pity it wasn't the first of it:scratchhead:

Still have most of the wheat (dry) to sell. What would it be worth now? 185?

The broker that my boss buys barley from has none left or at least none near us and told him they would have a boat load in yesterday or today. I don't know about the price. There's wheat available for the moment. I had to go to Ringaskiddy yesterday for Soya meal when it's usually Dublin or Belview

Back on grain prices topic,

I’d not be surprised if grain prices go up.

Weather has been bad in a number of countries, 7 have applied for derogation on the 3 crop rule.
A large part of North America is having really cold weather, delaying plantings.

Spoke to a cereal breeder in Lincolnshire yesterday, he said it can’t be a good sign to see his neighbour extracting the sower and it’s tractor from a field with his Quadtrac.

A merchant told me that he knows he is eating into barley that he has already sold to a broker. Already had to buy some back which cost him €25 more than what he sold it for.

Straights are rising apparently and pulling grain prices with them.

Straw will be a very valuable commodity too......(dear in the UK too I’m told...)
Grain goes up, fertiliser is up, straw and silage are used up and not going to be over plentiful next winter, milk is down, beef is static at best, :scratchhead:

Grain goes up, fertiliser is up, straw and silage are used up and not going to be over plentiful next winter, milk is down, beef is static at best, :scratchhead:

Not a recipe for joy....

On a world stage, cheap grain = cheap beef & milk as most bovines never see grass.

However, dear grain usually = dear fertiliser....

Those lads selling fert sure know how to raise the price just before things start getting expensive.....................

€110 direct into my account and it's yours. Do you want me to give you a price on the contract work?

I'm going to get in touch with the farming indo. Next week the headline will be 'tillage farmers paying up to 0 Euro for land'

Isn’t unreal too - we have our paper expectations (be that tonnes per acre or litres of milk), we have our knowledge, our machinery, our seeds, our fertiliser and the weather just turns the table over.

“Man makes plans and God laughs”

Isn’t unreal too - we have our paper expectations (be that tonnes per acre or litres of milk), we have our knowledge, our machinery, our seeds, our fertiliser and the weather just turns the table over.

“Man makes plans and God laughs”
and good farmers get similar yields every year irrespective of the weather. So .........I wonder what cards are in the good farms hand ATM

Is this due to physical scarcity in the U.K. And Europe or currency?

I actually have no idea. The sterling exchange rate has moved in such a way that should make it cheaper (87p now compared to 80p not long ago).

Very cold in the states at the moment and hot in Australia I believe.

I actually have no idea. The sterling exchange rate has moved in such a way that should make it cheaper (87p now compared to 80p not long ago).

Very cold in the states at the moment and hot in Australia I believe.
It's an interesting one because it doesn't look like futures markets have risen to the same extent. 147 harvest green barley price offered by text today.

It's an interesting one because it doesn't look like futures markets have risen to the same extent. 147 harvest green barley price offered by text today.

Wasn’t there a member here who said he was offered €160 green very recently?

I was in Dawn Grannagh today and talking to another pig farmer and he told me his meal supplier has told him the price will be going up by €25/ tonne. He didn't elaborate on the cause of the increase but I assume it is because of the grain imports.

Wasn’t there a member here who said he was offered €160 green very recently?
That Glanbia joke of the week text is just getting annoying now. Who was saying about them riding farmers Brokeback mountain style?

Back