Grain prices

Price in by text this morning.
Siobhan Talbot has us hacked.

Glanbia dried grain prices for Nov 2019 at 03.12.18: Dried Wheat @ €193/t; Dried Barley @ €185/t. Contact a business manager before 5pm today to forward sell.

Price in by text this morning.
Siobhan Talbot has us hacked.

Glanbia dried grain prices for Nov 2019 at 03.12.18: Dried Wheat @ €193/t; Dried Barley @ €185/t. Contact a business manager before 5pm today to forward sell.
Couldn't say I'd be rushing to get grain sold at those prices.

Monday this week
Glanbia dried grain prices for Nov 2019 at 17.12.18: Dried Wheat @ €194/t; Dried Barley @ €186/t. Contact a business manager before 5pm today to forward sell.

3 December

They send the texts to me from different numbers so yo do not have the prices on one page . The oil company does the same .

Monday this week
Glanbia dried grain prices for Nov 2019 at 17.12.18: Dried Wheat @ €194/t; Dried Barley @ €186/t. Contact a business manager before 5pm today to forward sell.
Thanks for that, roughly where I would have guessed.

Sold some grain forward, right or wrong, I like to have some sold pre Christmas, some in the spring and some in the summer, then sell the surplus post harvest.
This way I don't get the top prices, but also don't get the bottom prices either.
Sensible move. I did an exercise a couple of years ago and found if you blindly sold 1/12th of your harvest on the first day of every month over the previous 5 years you would be financially better off than taking harvest prices. Years like 2018 make me nervous of such a strategy however.

Sensible move. I did an exercise a couple of years ago and found if you blindly sold 1/12th of your harvest on the first day of every month over the previous 5 years you would be financially better off than taking harvest prices. Years like 2018 make me nervous of such a strategy however.
Was that the exercise we did at the bar in copper face jacks after about 3 days solid on the beer? Ah yes that was a worthwhile exercise alright........

Crystal ball time, what figure are people using for harvest grain when making cropping decisions for the spring maize vs spring cereals

World markets are easing back at the moment, no good news to give them a lift and no bad news to give them a lift, trade wars, brexit etc keeping things down and a mild winter and small usage also keeping things down.
Most of the above can change before harvest.
But at the moment I think @Ozzy Scott is being a little generous, I would be looking at 165/170 here I think, but wouldn't be selling.
Matif Maize 11/19 €172.75
Matif Milling Wheat 09/19 €184.50

What are lads thinking about the new fixed price from boormalt? I hear alot of opposition to it. Will they come with a better price?

World markets are easing back at the moment, no good news to give them a lift and no bad news to give them a lift, trade wars, brexit etc keeping things down and a mild winter and small usage also keeping things down.
Most of the above can change before harvest.
But at the moment I think @Ozzy Scott is being a little generous, I would be looking at 165/170 here I think, but wouldn't be selling.
Matif Maize 11/19 €172.75
Matif Milling Wheat 09/19 €184.50
Thanks @gone & @ozzyscott that's much the same as I was thinking.

Last edited:
What are lads thinking about the new fixed price from boormalt? I hear alot of opposition to it. Will they come with a better price?

It’s more of a hedging of €190. At the meeting last night most were saying to not go with it and they are going looking for more.

Dont think there is much interest in it from farmers from what i gathered off Boortmalt REP. I wont be forward selling at that price as i think if feed barley does make !65-170 then malt wont be far off 190 a ton at harvest anyways. I am holding out for 200 a ton before i consider forward selling.

Back