Grass Growth Rates

cant be much over 10% dm here at the moment, allot of soft growth and loads of water. Has anyone a recent protein test for grass?
The 13th of September over 3 samples on 3 different farms it was on average 22.8% protein. I agree on your DM comment, don’t think it’s any more than 12% these days, cows eating a phenomenal amount of grass.

Growth of approx 40 here on average over the last 7 days with the last 3 days bringing up the average quite well. I thought that near frost temps on Sunday night would have slowed it down, but it hasn't. Dry ground conditions are really helping.

A better story on ground in galway with average growth of 55. Again, this has been helped a lot by the last 3 days of increased temperatures and even drier ground conditions than here.

Barely staying afloat here, afc 680, demand 30, not growing much more than that. Just too much of a moisture deficit in the soil still.

Up around 50 now. meeting demand as have the liveweight has now been housed. Demand somewhere around 35 so now. Still have very low AFC as grass only growing for the last 3 weeks.

Anyone spreading fertilizer before the closing date or is it too late for lads
Seen a lad at it yesterday, he would be very heavily stocked but he has excellent land.
I spread a bit myself last week . I have one 1/2 tonne bag left but I think I'll leave it there till spring .
Huge swings in temperature , Monday morning it was frosty and 1°c On Wednesday morning it was 14.5°c

I reckon it's going to be an early winter.
A lot of land mower lately that would normally be cut last July.
The aftergrass will be a big loss,unless we get good growth for 6 weeks more.
Yep, land that has been cut this week will grow very little and be easy grazed off, it's probably still going to be well ahead of the same ground if it was strip grazed, we cut stuff today and it was getting a shot of nitrogen as we left, a few cold nights and the soil temp will drop quickly in bare ground like that.

I reckon it's going to be an early winter.
A lot of land mower lately that would normally be cut last July.
The aftergrass will be a big loss,unless we get good growth for 6 weeks more.
The 3 weather models are showing a cold October. Not necessarily wet but temperatures below normal. With the amount of ground that has been held up for second or third cut this week grass will be scarce and a lot of lads will be feeding silage earlier than usual. Its a fine line between meadow and grazing at this time of year.

The 3 weather models are showing a cold October. Not necessarily wet but temperatures below normal. With the amount of ground that has been held up for second or third cut this week grass will be scarce and a lot of lads will be feeding silage earlier than usual. Its a fine line between meadow and grazing at this time of year.
They cant accurately tell the same day weather forecast, I'd take alot of these far away forecasts with a pinch of salt

Would you spread compost this late in the year?
yes, FYM/Compost are always better off applied going into the wet spell of the year and not in the spring. Maybe it food for soil biology during the dormant winter period.

I really find good compost can be spread anytime during the open period, as if it made right and proper spread you would hardly notice it on the grass

yes, FYM/Compost are always better off applied going into the wet spell of the year and not in the spring. Maybe it food for soil biology during the dormant winter period.

I really find good compost can be spread anytime during the open period, as if it made right and proper spread you would hardly notice it on the grass
Its our first year with compost. Grass has been too strong to spread it up to now. Was going to just leave it and cover it until spring but might spread it out at the weekend so.

Its our first year with compost. Grass has been too strong to spread it up to now. Was going to just leave it and cover it until spring but might spread it out at the weekend so.
is it home made out of FYM? Cant beat letting it mature but you maybe breaking the nitrates directive :no:. Try and spread as low a rate as possible, under 5t per ac or less if you have suitable spreader

is it home made out of FYM? Cant beat letting it mature but you maybe breaking the nitrates directive :no:. Try and spread as low a rate as possible, under 5t per ac or less if you have suitable spreader
Yes, its home made out of fym. Its from the sheds which were bedded with rushes and lime. It was rowed on a silage slab and turned a couple of times and last movement turned it into the dungsted. Its very well broken down. I was planning on putting it out with the transport box and levelling it out with the land leveller but I could spread it with the side slinger. I'd estimate about 40 ton in it and will be covering 10 acres of ground that has been grazed tight. Mightn't be worth dirtying the spreader for such a small amount.

Yes, its home made out of fym. Its from the sheds which were bedded with rushes and lime. It was rowed on a silage slab and turned a couple of times and last movement turned it into the dungsted. Its very well broken down. I was planning on putting it out with the transport box and levelling it out with the land leveller but I could spread it with the side slinger. I'd estimate about 40 ton in it and will be covering 10 acres of ground that has been grazed tight. Mightn't be worth dirtying the spreader for such a small amount.

Ah mucky do the job right and put it in the side slinger. Otherwise leave until next season on soil somewhere, ideally under a tree or along a hedge for it to get more biology

Back