Grass Growth Rates

The recent rain has really helped growth out around these parts over the past few days. There's a lovely kindness to temperatures now and plenty of moisture in the land to really push on growth.

Growth rates have fallen back considerably here in the last week,on a twenty day round and starting to tighten a bit more than I’d like .
Closed ground with decent covers is flying but anything grazed is very slow to recover with a fine poor yellow colour.
We could do with some softness.

Growth rates have fallen back considerably here in the last week,on a twenty day round and starting to tighten a bit more than I’d like .
Closed ground with decent covers is flying but anything grazed is very slow to recover with a fine poor yellow colour.
Just thinking same thing myself, nights are too cold.

I was wondering if it was just us. These frosty nights Are doing no Good.

looking at a field grazed 25+ days ago and i doubt on average we had growth over 20 per day for the last month, paying for the exceptional growth early on, now. too many cattle back indoors

You'd notice grass growing today down here.

Getting good residuals in a lot of paddocks at the minute. We did have to move some without a proper cleanout (again) after the rain on Wednesday made going tough.
20190511_201230.jpg

Getting great value out of paddocks at the moment even if they do mean work.

You'd notice grass growing today down here.

Getting good residuals in a lot of paddocks at the minute. We did have to move some without a proper cleanout (again) after the rain on Wednesday made going tough.View attachment 65634

Getting great value out of paddocks at the moment even if they do mean work.
Recovery is poor enough here but a great chance to clean out should stand to grass quality next round, we hadn't a drop of rain Wednesday, a few heavy showers locally yesterday evening but still escaped without a drop, never saw ground as dry early May.

Recovery is poor enough here but a great chance to clean out should stand to grass quality next round, we hadn't a drop of rain Wednesday, a few heavy showers locally yesterday evening but still escaped without a drop, never saw ground as dry early May.

It's the same here with recovery rates Arthur, it's taking grass to grow grass. That paddock above is the third wettest of the farm so my father wasn't going to let the good week off!!

We got over 15mm on Wednesday and barely missed downpours yesterday. It's the easterly wind which is doing the harm around here.

Struggling here with growth rates around 30,an hours thunder rain we got on Friday night might stir things but the nights are still too cold a real sting with the breeze this morning.
You could hardly stick a pigtail in the ground here it’s like concrete,it’ll probably piss rain for three weeks when we’re ready to drop a mower in the ground:boat:

How is grass doing lads?
We are really flying at home in leitrim - not only is it growing well, but cattle are getting much longer out of each paddock because of the really dry conditions. Opposite story in Galway. Good pasture with deep soils is really struggling this last week. It's like a dust bowl. Even the meadows have really slowed with growth. Shallower soils and boggy ground are in their prime grass growing in this weather.

Slow down as well here but you would notice it last week after the rain on Friday how things perked up.

Soil moisture deficits are well over 25mm in most of the country at present.

It's been growing away here ahead of demand, BUT it's well behind other years. No surplus bales yet, hoping to put a few bits din the pit next week but nothing exciting. First cut was disappointing in quantity, we'll be OK I'm sure, but we should be snowed under with wraps at this stage. Some people blaming moisture but it's definitely not that as we are on a heavy farm, night temperatures have been keeping growth held up IMV. That said, streams and springs are way down here, wet fields are all passable (but not moisture deficient) so if it stays dry, there could be trouble on hand.....

It's been growing away here ahead of demand, BUT it's well behind other years. No surplus bales yet, hoping to put a few bits din the pit next week but nothing exciting. First cut was disappointing in quantity, we'll be OK I'm sure, but we should be snowed under with wraps at this stage. Some people blaming moisture but it's definitely not that as we are on a heavy farm, night temperatures have been keeping growth held up IMV. That said, streams and springs are way down here, wet fields are all passable (but not moisture deficient) so if it stays dry, there could be trouble on hand.....
Id agree things ticking away but not the normal May growth. I am starting to see a slow down from lack of moisture on some very high dry ground (6 inches of soil over shale) nothing new but normally wouldnt happen until june /july, which backs up your point things are very dry for the time of year.

getting more drab by the day, running out of room back indoors as there is F all growing out side, one of the worst growing years in along time. 50mm SMD so probably need 3 to 4 inches straight away. only think that has saved us up to now is there is no heat.
will you stop buying for awhile and give yourself some breathing space?

Back