Grass Growth Rates

What kind of tonnes have the grass gods that were taking out strong paddocks back in April grown to date? They are gone quiet on twitter these days.
Growth tipping away here, not super but not a disaster. Bloody gale of wind all day again tho.

Imo a long rotation between grazings is a winner especially this year .I am on about 28+ days of rotation and just gone into 3rd round of grazing .I had to pre mow some paddocks at end of 1st rotation but grass quality is holding up well .I am high stocked at over 4lu/hectare .I will skip onto a shorter rotation of 25 days if growth takes off but i am in dread of soil moisture deficit .Cows are milking well for me at 25l ,p back to 3.3 though 1 kg meal .If i was any shorter rotation so far this year i would be running around mad with fertiliser and probably caught for grass on top of this!!!The real saving though is in less meal being fed to cows.I think it is crazy lads on 18 day rotation trying to push milk and with milk at 30 cent base ,they are only buying the milk

Got some rain last night and was after spreading fert on a good few paddocks Friday and Saturday so hopefully get a response. The hilly land is actually burning up with yellow patches where the rock is near. It's given up to 21 degrees for Saturday.

Imo a long rotation between grazings is a winner especially this year .I am on about 28+ days of rotation and just gone into 3rd round of grazing .I had to pre mow some paddocks at end of 1st rotation but grass quality is holding up well .I am high stocked at over 4lu/hectare .I will skip onto a shorter rotation of 25 days if growth takes off but i am in dread of soil moisture deficit .Cows are milking well for me at 25l ,p back to 3.3 though 1 kg meal .If i was any shorter rotation so far this year i would be running around mad with fertiliser and probably caught for grass on top of this!!!The real saving though is in less meal being fed to cows.I think it is crazy lads on 18 day rotation trying to push milk and with milk at 30 cent base ,they are only buying the milk
Are your grass covers not crazy high and clean outs poor with a 28 day rotation? 20 days here currently on 3kgs of feed.

What's the highest growth rate this year so far Lads? If I remember rightly it was this week last year that growth took off (100+) but we are probably grazing about five/six weeks longer already this year.

Any heavy cover i pre mow ,its just grass never has got a sustained mad burst yet this year .i am probably stocked more like 4.5 lu/h with calves and some drys in paddocks as well .I was inclined to to skip a few paddocks but with sun on the way ....

Seems like a very good plan to hold moisture in the ground.

Its motoring. A couple of dry days and it'll be soaked out. There's still a good dry skin on top that the rain just flowed over.

IMG_20190606_193928.jpg

Back down to 65 for the last 5 days here, it was over 100 before that. Grass has lost all colour again, cold rain and a cold wind is the problem. 12 degrees is all it was today as was 9 at one stage.

one of the worst years for growth in a long while. doubt we got any week averaged over 50 yet. I have a farm stocked with animals and their demand is 55, and they are constantly short for last 2 month. giving fresh bales to these type animals to try and build some bit of grass in front of them

We are very lucky here. Good solid growth for the last number of weeks. Good growth on paddocks that were grazed last week. Daytime temps over 15 degrees all week. It was 17 yesterday. Minimal amount of rain all week. If this is global warming then I'm off to buy a few CFC cans

Plan to measure tomorrow or Friday...measured 75 to Monday. Serious slow down since. Hills starting to burn. Estimating growth pulled down to 40...at least we all know what to do this time

Back