Grass Growth Rates

Was talking to a lad who sowed abergain straight last year and said it has grown on average of 30 kgs a day for the last 2 months

Was talking to a lad who sowed abergain straight last year and said it has grown on average of 30 kgs a day for the last 2 months
Had abergain and aberchoice spwn last august. There isnt enough grass elsewhere to give it enough of a rest to grow sufficiently so its being grazed at low covers

It might grow if he is down around Valencia or Sherkin Island where the soil temp has risen above 6 degrees but anywhere away from the coast there is nothing in the way of growth happening apart from the daffodils.

I have hybrid grass in a section of a field and this is the first time I can really notice it growing more than perennial

Was he working for germinal or what, not a hope in hell. I've a 50:50 abergain/aberchoice set here since last July and it hasn't done a thing since November. It got slurry in October and again in early feb and 70 units of N.

Ya its up the road a few miles. He measured it a month ago at 900 and its 1800 now he said he wasnt sure about it tho as its a bit unreal the rest of the farm is only at 10 and 12.

Ya its up the road a few miles. He measured it a month ago at 900 and its 1800 now he said he wasnt sure about it tho as its a bit unreal the rest of the farm is only at 10 and 12.
I think he would want to re-calibrate his bullshitometer

Zero growth here in ryegrass or even hybrids, only thing growing is the Timothy which is bombing away as normal, and dog thistles :censored:

It's starting to move a bit now lads. I will soon be able to get my measuring stick out. Ground that got urea 6 weeks ago has cover of 900 whereas it only had 350 when I was spreading. If we get a middling week, I'll be letting bullocks onto it that I'm trying to finish and cutting out the meal except for a couple of KG every week to get them to come to the gate. It's still only an average of 13kg/day for the last 6 weeks, but it's probably done 40kg/day for the last few days, and maybe only 200kg's in total before that.

26kgs for the last week and 60 the previous week so the neighbour measured. No wonder I've feic all grass

There’s been frost in recent nights which goes a long way to explain the pull back in growth.

I know I’m stating the obvious but Jesus it’s some run of poor weather. Give things two more months and it’ll be going on with nearly a year.

Grass growth accumulated figures since last August must be well behind. Remember how bad last September was for getting cover crops to grow.

Fodder levels at virtually zero across the country and new silage crops must be well behind?

There’s been frost in recent nights which goes a long way to explain the pull back in growth.

I know I’m stating the obvious but Jesus it’s some run of poor weather. Give things two more months and it’ll be going on with nearly a year.

Grass growth accumulated figures since last August must be well behind. Remember how bad last September was for getting cover crops to grow.

Fodder levels at virtually zero across the country and new silage crops must be well behind?
Our last 3 silage bales were fed tonight with Zerograzed grass so I'm officially out. It did last from early September to now tho. A long 7 months that no one could have budgeted for or foreseen. Sick shit of it all now, it's taking its toll.

Back