Grass Growth Rates

Same, grass still stressed and heading out rapidly. The poaching in the last round did wreck

How is your wetter ground faring out BB? It's the same story here but wetter ground is doing okay. I wonder is their soil moisture deficit turning up :sweat:

How is your wetter ground faring out BB? It's the same story here but wetter ground is doing okay. I wonder is their soil moisture deficit turning up :sweat:
It's better alright but as it was not grazed during the bad weather it was never poached. Top of the ground is all tight and hard but plenty moisture underneath. Whole place got 30units of Sul can yesterday but not a drop of rain here yet to wash it in.

Following the cows with the topper, 30 units and dirty water to wash it in. Regrowths are coming back quick. They are starting to clean out better now they are going into lower covers. It's a lot of work trying to correct the effects of the spring. Think we'll miss the rain that was forecast now.

I see a neighbour meadow that got slurry in April and nitrogen seems to have stalled recently. He put out urea+sulphur last week to try and boost it on.

Its important to look on the bright side too. Yesterday's rain was heavy both at home and in galway but the result of it is massive growth in just 24 hours. Bring on a few hot days and we will gain a week with every 3 days of growth. Fertilizer is really showing its worth today. Slurry spread on pasture last week is washed in and promoting great greenness. Its welcome and its about time.

Slowly waking up, lots of stem tho. Tight for 4-5 days ahead but most of the farm is at a similar low cover now so just battle on for a few days. Still no great colour about, it has me puzzled.

Slowly waking up, lots of stem tho. Tight for 4-5 days ahead but most of the farm is at a similar low cover now so just battle on for a few days. Still no great colour about, it has me puzzled.
Any response from the sul-can?
Moorepark grew just 47 last week which was shocking poor and I don’t think this week is much better.
We got a burst on Tuesday after the flood but its stalled again, plenty stem and stalks and poached paddocks are very thin.
May is nearly gone and it’s not going to grow in June :unsure:

Are growth rates a lot depending on how heavily you are stocked. I know 2 lads within 7 miles of each other. One lad 160 cows 140 acres growth 65. Other lad has 120 cows on 160 acres growth rate tipping mid 90s for 5 days.

Any response from the sul-can?
Moorepark grew just 47 last week which was shocking poor and I don’t think this week is much better.
We got a burst on Tuesday after the flood but its stalled again, plenty stem and stalks and poached paddocks are very thin.
May is nearly gone and it’s not going to grow in June :unsure:
Most of the place got a bag last Saturday, too early to say I’ve a great response got as only got 6mms of rain since, rest of the place will get it tomorrow. Currently at the first cut, 3-4 hours in the morning will finish it. Neighbour who texts me each week got 66 in his walk Tuesday eve but he rang earlier and reckons last 3 days was up near 90.
Covers building slowly but very heavily stocked at present as 3 paddocks baled and silage cut. If this rain arrives tomorrow night after the 24 degrees today then it should motor on hopefully. Lot of fodder to make up yet tho as first cut acres were back 20% due to weather issues.

Reactions: jpt
This wasn't grazed. Cut Thurs baled today.
IMG_20180524_144506.jpg

guesstimating we are up around 90 for the last 3 days, hopefully get the last 10% of cattle outdoors this week. have a 4 ac paddock gone strong but I don't have the neck to ask the contractor to come and make 15 bales

guesstimating we are up around 90 for the last 3 days, hopefully get the last 10% of cattle outdoors this week. have a 4 ac paddock gone strong but I don't have the neck to ask the contractor to come and make 15 bales

Hel be grand i baled 27 in 15 acres for lad last week

Back