Grass seed

Oscar

We have been doing some levelling work here in the meadows the past few days and well have to get some grass seed.

Is there any particular type anybody could recommend to me

:confused:

If u want seed that will start quickly and compete well with whats there already without spraying off then hybrid seed ie perennial ryegrass with a degree of italian parentage will be best.mg60 from the "moregrass" range is available widely in merchants.I have seen good results from it.mightnt last as long as some ie 5-7 years but feed it and it will really grow.Dairymen seem to like it.

We have been doing some levelling work here in the meadows the past few days and well have to get some grass seed.

Is there any particular type anybody could recommend to me

:confused:

Would you be able to tell us a bit more about your requirements please?

Is it for grazing or silage or both?

Is it heavy land or free draining?

Has it been ploughed?

no it hasnt been ploughed because it is a loam type of soil with maybe 3 to 4 inches of good top soil. The deeper you go after that it turns more to a very sandy soil.
so it will be a job for the discs. it will be mainly used for silage and some grazing. Drainage is not a problem due to the soil type.

Hope this helps

no it hasnt been ploughed because it is a loam type of soil with maybe 3 to 4 inches of good top soil. The deeper you go after that it turns more to a very sandy soil.
so it will be a job for the discs. it will be mainly used for silage and some grazing. Drainage is not a problem due to the soil type.

Hope this helps

Nice one Oscar, I was just asking about the soil because some mixes can be designed to tolerate heavier wetter sites. Sounds like you have nice land there so no need to worry about it.

I would advise you to stick with a good general purpose mix based on regular Perennial Ryegrass (not Hybrid).
We at Goldcrop do a couple of ranges of grass seeds.
Our best range is the Diamond range of mixes which contains the most modern varieties, this range of mixes is made up with yield, persistency and a sensible heading date in mind.

The Diamond mixes should be available through all agri merchants.

For mainly silage with some grazing also, I would recommend our Gold Diamond mix (Intensive Silage mix).

Details on available on the following link:

http://www.goldcrop.ie/

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Cork

Thanks for all the info there cork, I'll have a chat with the lads in the co,op and see do they stock that brand.

:thumbup2:

Back