Grass testing Nitrogen

Discussion in 'Grassland Management' started by bk1991, May 14, 2019.

1. bk1991

bk1991 Well-Known Member

So what way is best to get the nitrogen levels tested in grass and is there any other tests that should be done for cutting silage ? I have put 4 bags of 18/6/12 out on the silage ground which wasnt grazed since oct so theres a fair bit of grass on field and i dont want it to go too long .
    Bearingin mind I am only learning the past 2 years as the bods man usualy took care of that side of things . I know i let the grass go to stemy the first year .

2. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

When did you spread the fertiliser? Grass uses around two units of nitrogen per growing day. You can get the Grass tested if you're still doubtful.

3. bk1991

bk1991 Well-Known Member

Was out the 22 of april. So that would leave it roughly 27th may ? I was chatting a dairy man and he told me to try get tested before it incase its gone before the 2unit day guide ? Is it worth it ?

4. AYF

AYF Well-Known Member

Get it tested. Simple enough to do. And a cheap insurance.

5. Blackwater boy

Blackwater boy Moderator

2 units a day is a rough guide but it could take 7-10 days to get t washed in and into the plant and working. Test it, get onto local merchant or coop and they will either test it for you or guide you in the right direction.

kverneland es 80 likes this.
  6. Crystal 8011

Crystal 8011 Active Member

Cutting in the afternoon and wilting for 24hrs will give higher sugar levels in the grass so will help for better quality silage if your inclined to cut a few days early.

7. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

What constitutes a growing day though? We've had such a run of cold days would it really be fair to say that 2 units would be used up those days?

8. Bcl

Bcl Well-Known Member

Think that the 2 units a day is used as an average guide over a few weeks, might use up 1 unit today but 3 tomorrow etc

9. bk1991

bk1991 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice i might try get it tested around 20th of this month .

10. aidank

aidank Well-Known Member

Spread 2.5bags fertilizer on the silage ground 29th March, thus the 6weeks would have been up last friday. Gave an additional top up of a bag on the 15th April or thereabouts. (27-2.5-5 I think it was)

Tested yesterday, all the nitrogen is gone much to our amazement, thus we will be cutting next week, not a huge crop by any means.

Anyone else done any testing for nitrogen ?

Last year it was the 24th April we spread the 3.5bags all in one go, and it still wasn't gone the 1st June, 6 weeks later.

11. ShaneB140

ShaneB140 Well-Known Member

Good night rain and alot of that grass will test with nitrogen in it, dry weather at moment

12. Blackwater boy

Blackwater boy Moderator

There is a lot of nitrogen not working at all still

13. scoffcruddle

scoffcruddle Well-Known Member

I’d say grass has doubled here in the last week,so nitrogen is still being used,I aimed for the 27th of May cutting,some is ready now some not,I just hope it stays fine.

14. ShaneB140

ShaneB140 Well-Known Member

That what I’d be afraid of, (if) you got heavy night or two’s rain want a good day before you go and cut it a lot of days no units were being used @Blackwater boy

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  15. 6600

6600 Well-Known Member

4% sugar here after 3 bags 10's in early March and brought it up to 100 units early April. Mowed today.

bruceythom and nashmach like this.