Green plastic wrap preserves silage better?

farmerjack

I read on another forum that pink or green wrap is better for silage and that black wrap causes more mould in silage. Any truth in that?

I read on another forum that pink or green wrap is better for silage and that black wrap causes more mould in silage. Any truth in that?
AFAIK the pink wrap was for supporting a breast cancer charity.
There was also a purple one for testicular (I think)

White wrap came about as people thought it would reflect heat from the sun to stop the silage heating, probably to aid fermentation. Don't know was there any real advantage or not. If it was much better then every bale would be white by now surely!

As for green..... neither one nor the other so lord knows.

Just checked it out, baloney as I guessed. However I came across a new wrap 1000m roll rather than 1500m. It’s extra thick and less turns of the wrapper and one roll is claimed to do 40 bales and 30% les time wrapping. Silox it’s called. €100/roll sound good.

Last edited:
Making good silage is very seldom anything to do with the Wrap . If everything else is right the colour of the wrap would have no effect . The number of layers has some effect but putting more layers will not improve bad silage .
Yes, you can’t expect to get better silage out of a bale than what you put in but I’m referring to preventing mould in bales.

I find green wrap the bales keep better if stored for two years or more. all bales here are 6 layers

Just checked it out, baloney as I guessed. However I came across a new wrap 1000m roll rather than 1500m. It’s extra thick and less turns of the wrapper and one roll is claimed to do 40 bales and 30% les time wrapping. Silox it’s called. €100/roll sound good.
Has anyone used this silox yet? Kerry agri are selling it

Back