Harvest progress.

How is quality? Even tho we had less rain lately KPH has fallen off a lot, no big yields around west Waterford, east cork or anyone I’ve spoken to in south tipp either.
Kph is between 64 and 68, lovely big grains. Last field I cut today did exactly 4 tons/acre compared to 2.4 last year, not a fair comparison I know. Lot of fields doing very close or similar, will tally up all dockets when finished. A ten ton trailer last year holds close to 11 this year is the best way to explain it.

How is quality? Even tho we had less rain lately KPH has fallen off a lot, no big yields around west Waterford, east cork or anyone I’ve spoken to in south tipp either.
On small I cut on Monday failed for seed barley on a low kph of 56 , it still yielded 3.8. Got it in as maulting so not to bad. It was after carrots although the ground didn’t get a mauling but still looked thin all year, I was worried about the other field beside it as it was strawed up over the winter but I think it will be ok to.

Kph is between 64 and 68, lovely big grains. Last field I cut today did exactly 4 tons/acre compared to 2.4 last year, not a fair comparison I know. Lot of fields doing very close or similar, will tally up all dockets when finished. A ten ton trailer last year holds close to 11 this year is the best way to explain it.
Was KPH not good last year aswell? kPH in wheat and spring barley was a lot higher last year around here. 4T is a massive yield, good work. In general yields in Wexford seem to be super, 3/4 of a tonne to a tonne back on those around these parts with the odd exception

Was KPH not good last year aswell? kPH in wheat and spring barley was a lot higher last year around here. 4T is a massive yield, good work. In general yields in Wexford seem to be super, 3/4 of a tonne to a tonne back on those around these parts with the odd exception
Can't remember last years kph results but they must have been less due to drought, I'll check the records to see what they were. The only big difference in husbandry here this year is normally I'd top dress the SB in three splits, 125 units in total, this year I horsed it all out as soon as tramlines were visible. Not saying this made any difference, last year I had Paustian and thought it wasn't a major improvement on Frontier, but Gangway has really impressed me. I'll be cutting Paustian soon elsewhere, will be interesting to compare it.

A heavy fog rolled in this evening stopped us early, no great drying either today so everything was coming in 20% and over, bit of stuff a lot higher getting rejected. A lot of lads contracts are full now as well so the surplus pile is growing.

That fog rolled in very quickly this evening. It took a long long time for today together going, nearer to 5. Moisture was over 21 in a bit I was in but think some fields could be a bit lower.

Haven't heard much about barn buster yields from around here yet (or much about yields in general which is never a great sign), anything I did here was more like 3.25t to 3.4t.

Some serious hard scalping around here the last few days. Wheat Wheat is getting a very fast death around here as is Spring Barley. 3 to 4 days will see the vast majority of crops cleared. Still a lot of straw to be baled but that is being caught up on as well

Still nothing cut here and looks like the contractor wont get to it before the rain, depending on a contractor is going to cost this year.
In a shitty weather harvest like this one has turned into it's hard to blame the contractor. Naturally everyone will want their crops cut in the good weather but unfortuantely there's a limit to what man and machine can do. I'm hoping that I'll have 2 different men in here tomorrow afternoon with balers to get straw before the rain arrives Tuesday. 50 acres on the ground now and I'm pulling into the sb tomorrow. Thankfully the wb straw was got before the weather broke a couple of weeks ago. It's at the stage where a baler of our own is on the cards in the near future.

I would have thought there was plenty of capacity for the machinery that's out there to get through work in any year. A bit of communication goes a long way towards sorting out the logistics, that goes for both farmer and contractor. A simple phone call, "I'll have x amount of acres ready if we get 2 or 3 fine days, will you be able to get to me?", an honest answer from the contractor yes or no, if it's a no then try elsewhere, no hard feelings. "I have 20 acres to cut tomorrow" is impossible for a contractor to deal with, likewise "I'll be there on Wednesday" when he knows full well he'll be doing well to get there on Saturday isn't fair on the farmer. With the price of machinery and the lack of decent drivers there needs to be a lot more joined up thinking between contractor and client so everyone knows where they stand and a satisfactory service can be guaranteed within reason.

I was full sure you had a 8080 nh,,

Nah, very good contractor service around here. They have capacity to harvest which is much bigger than anything I could justify which means the crops get cut quicker than if we had our own harvester. Haven’t time to drive one either as we are part time farmers! Same goes for planting.
Try to look after the contractors too, it’s a tough game. As much advance notice as possible and fast payment.

We were at spring barley today and harvest 2019 is finished, with a helping hand from Frank J with his CR ? New Holland, an animal of a machine to get through a crop. The only jobs left are to load what's tipped up into trucks tomorrow and bale straw.

93B6EB03-47FF-4751-A131-27C590C23BE9.png
All done. We had a lot easier run with the weather than others north and west of here. Lot of analysis to come, we had some records and had a flop or 2. Tonnes decent, heaps of straw but at the end of the day the margins are so so tight its tough going. Either way our small harvest is done, last few fields will be baled tomorrow.

Problem here has been the contractor is only finishing up winter crops Friday and Saturday, nothing cut for the last 2 weeks before Friday, even today he didn't get cutting until 12, not a lot of rain the last 2 weeks just enough to stop cutting. Only part time here couldn't justify my own combine, given the way prices are going more likely to give it up altogether than invest in a combine.

Problem here has been the contractor is only finishing up winter crops Friday and Saturday, nothing cut for the last 2 weeks before Friday, even today he didn't get cutting until 12, not a lot of rain the last 2 weeks just enough to stop cutting. Only part time here couldn't justify my own combine, given the way prices are going more likely to give it up altogether than invest in a combine.

With the number of small combines for sale on done deal I reckon a lot of cereal ground is going back into grass.

Back