Harvest progress.

Lads loose the run of themselves over a bit of grass.
Can you imagine trying to cut corn on hire!!!
Youd want about 20 combines
It's an awful job, and you'd want a bulldozer and a chainsaw in some places, and an ability to be three places the one time. Then have to listen to how fast everyone else is. The only place for a combine is cutting your own crops.

Harvest 2019 is a wrap. Corn all in the shed, combine and header parked under cover as well ahead of the rain due tonight. The wheat straw is all baled and most, if not all, will be taken away tonight. Only the spring barley cut today left in the swath to get rained on.

Got the sb cut yesterday evening and today 2 hours before a shower, chopped the headlands, no demand for straw this year, Brexit has all the beef farmers spooked!

Finished cutting here yesterday oat straw still not fit for baling even what was cut Sunday it’s wrapping around the intake auger. It was a tough induction to owning a combine as the oats was at least 30% flat but combine handled it well and only broke 2 fingers and 2 knife sections. Springs oats very rough guess but even with flat we think about 3.4t -trailer estimate though.

Attachments

• 699F75B4-C06C-40DE-B9DE-728D15695581.jpeg
    699F75B4-C06C-40DE-B9DE-728D15695581.jpeg
    865.3 KB · Views: 72
Down to 70 acres to cut ,might get 20 today and the other 50 can wait until after the weekend. Have 30 acres on the flat for the round Baler and about 250 on the flat for the square Baler, might get 12acres of round done today and maybe some square baling done , not very worried as the rain they were giving has eased so it looks like from Sunday on will be good weather

View attachment 69352
Snippet from the journal today.
How many of ye will end up a record wheat and spring barley harvest?
No one I’ve spoken to will have. An average barley and very average wheat. Maybe below average for wheat actually. No where near 2016/2017 yields.

Can’t see where this is coming from!?

Winter wheat, definitely not a record year.
Winter barley, yes some records but GIGANTIC variability.
Spring barley, very good averages but most crops nothing special.
Winter oats, some excellent yields but the average is nothing special.
WOSR for the most part disappointing across the country.

2011 & 2015 would leave this year standing in terms of national averages and record yields.

I have never seen the effect of broad leaf break crops being so noticeable before this year.

He seems very convinced of the fertility building effects of cover crops - I remain unconvinced.

2011 & 2015 would leave this year standing in terms of national averages and record yields.

I have never seen the effect of broad leaf break crops being so noticeable before this year.

He seems very convinced of the fertility building effects of cover crops - I remain unconvinced.
Some softening up for when the prices are announced maybe?

Invariable yeild seems to be all the talk, so where he is seeing record yeilds i dont know. Someone must be blowing smoke up his O

Got 4.5 WW, 3.7 barley (one field hit the 4 but was out of grass). Winter oats a bit of a disappointment at 3.2. Nothing to write home about with the way prices are and cut a few bad enough crops too. Crops were looking great up till the start of the month maybe the wheat would have been a bit better had we been able to get it two weeks ago.

the man i was wrapping bales for a few days back was just was just shy of 45t in a 9 acre field that he cut last week. kept the one trailer he had busy that day anyways

Probably got 3.7 dry on the Lumos. The Costello May have done a bit better. Bushel weights are high so the yield maybe higher. No weigh bridge here but I am usually there or thereabouts on the weights. Did Costello not tiller well this year in comparison to other years .? My combine is nice and shiny inside it’s a pity to go cut Beans with it .

Back