Hay 2018

Haylage not going well here. Baler man went 20ft and his old Claas then decided to eat a needle and the other knotter pooped the bed. Been on the phone having a ring round and it seems small square balers are rare in this part of the world. Bit more head scratching in the morning

Haylage is tough going on an older square baler though. I wouldn't like to be putting it through the 440 here. :sweat:

The country has gone mad for hay. Must not have been much made around the country yet. Placed an ad late wednesday night and had 74 phonecalls yesterday and loaded 400 bales onto trucks. Usually do well to receive one or two calls at most

Haylage not going well here. Baler man went 20ft and his old Claas then decided to eat a needle and the other knotter pooped the bed. Been on the phone having a ring round and it seems small square balers are rare in this part of the world. Bit more head scratching in the morning
I would think haylage , an old square baler and 20 foot swaths as being a bit of a dodgy cocktail TBH.

I can always remember the old crowd here arguing the about the merits of the best turner back in day and remember the cock pheasant being talked about but can not remember was it fondly talked about or not ,well here is one i came across on dd
https://www.donedeal.ie/haybobs-for-sale/cock-pheasant/19070395
Supposedly very good.
Know of one still in annual use locally. Well I say anual. It was dragged out of some nettles a few years ago. Given a pump of grease and has worked fine since!

We had 1 until the gearbox went. Was a great yoke to shake up hay. Threw it up in the air but couldn't row to save itself. We tried all sorts of mods to the gates on it to no avail. That was back in the days of square bales so you needed room between the rows

I can always remember the old crowd here arguing the about the merits of the best turner back in day and remember the cock pheasant being talked about but can not remember was it fondly talked about or not ,well here is one i came across on dd
https://www.donedeal.ie/haybobs-for-sale/cock-pheasant/19070395

At the money he's looking for that I'm kicking myself for not taking the uncles one when he offered it to me years ago, it didn't look much though in the middle of nettles and briars.

I still use ours for shaking up straw although it’s getting a bit fragile now! Storing it in the shed rather than in the nettles has kept it in reasonable condition along with a good application of black oil. :no:When worked at an angle it throws the straw onto fresh ground.The gates work well enough on straw but are pretty useless on hay.

We bought a modern version years ago. Possibly a Teagle(?) But more for silage than hay. Swarth wilter it was called.
The cousin was sent out on it behind the scraper tractor. Was a hatefull job he said. Could see no progress going up and down rows. Had a habit of creating lumps too, which of course he was blamed for!
Seem to recall the gearbox was made out of aluminium so gave up in no time. Wasn't used long before being retired into the nettles until the scrap prices rose!!

We bought a modern version years ago. Possibly a Teagle(?) But more for silage than hay. Swarth wilter it was called.
The cousin was sent out on it behind the scraper tractor. Was a hatefull job he said. Could see no progress going up and down rows. Had a habit of creating lumps too, which of course he was blamed for!
Seem to recall the gearbox was made out of aluminium so gave up in no time. Wasn't used long before being retired into the nettles until the scrap prices rose!!

Care to relive it!
https://www.donedeal.ie/haybobs-for-sale/super-ted-wilter/19080633

ZWRiODUzZTA0ZDhhNjNlYzNmYjFkNmM3MjQ0N2U4MDGRaDgnUDTR15OpuVBqtcNHaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDM2NzMyNzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I have 15 acres cut since Wednesday. Should be lovely stuff by tomorrow evening.

As the saying goes on the market and for sale, it's yours kind Sir today.

There's a field of hay locally that was mowed down on the first of June that's not baled yet

There's a field of hay locally that was mowed down on the first of June that's not baled yet
There’s a few fields of Barley around here that were sown last April twelve months and they are still not harvested. Can you put down the same Barley two years in a row for BPS .

There’s a few fields of Barley around here that were sown last April twelve months and they are still not harvested. Can you put down the same Barley two years in a row for BPS .

I wouldn't chance it myself tbh.

Back