Hay 2018

What are people’s opinions on the glas traditional hay meadows. Not to be cut till July. Heard a few people chanced it and cut theirs. Had one person onto me yesterday to mow theirs this morning. Got another call last night from them saying they not going to chance it now. Hard to let the weather by and not mow your hay but at the same time they are paid to leave till July.

What are people’s opinions on the glas traditional hay meadows. Not to be cut till July. Heard a few people chanced it and cut theirs. Had one person onto me yesterday to mow theirs this morning. Got another call last night from them saying they not going to chance it now. Hard to let the weather by and not mow your hay but at the same time they are paid to leave till July.
Ah this is just the first of three dry sunny months. Whats the panic?

There's a field of hay locally that was mowed down on the first of June that's not baled yet

There was a lad beside us yesterday rowed up conditioner swarts with a rotonde that had been cut last thursday evening. I passed it this morning and he had not the bales wrapped. I met him at the creche and he told me that it was in hay

Can't see it going by friday evening here without cutting it and tedding it out straight after to have it ready for baling on sunday. Although the weather is looking good into the middle of next week now with only a chance of thunder storms for the south at the weekend. We might even try for hay on it.

Same story this way. Lads going mad for it wanting to save plastic.

Be interesting to know how much plastic the extra passes and lower feed quality would pay for!?
If you were paying someone to ted it on a 5/acre crop it would be cheaper wrapped! That's without lower feed value and building space to store it. But if you were making it to sell hay always seems to be worth more than silage, no matter how good the silage is, haulage costs comes in to it a bit I suppose and generally easier to see what your buying.
View attachment 55558 @Win baling hay this afternoon
I thought you were taking a selfie.....................:unsure:

Put up some amount of dust doing hay on the higher fields today - think i'LL have to close these till the autumn unless we get a big dose of rain between now and August

49724-0a013cdbaf65d9e3e323f5e6957e83aa.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6984.jpg
    IMG_6984.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 440
Back