Hay 2019

Last of the hay baled up this evening. For some reason my ground was extremely heavy even thou it only got 65 or 70 units and be old meadows. Got 7ac baled this eve and done 113 good solid bales. I knew it was heavy when mowing it and turning it. Over all my hay ground I did 15.4bales/ac

Has to be a good year for contractors though. Nice dry grass, easy on balers and wrappers. And in a lot of places, almost double the return of last year.

everyone is a winner, great to see them having a good year, we need contractors that have to capacity to have confidence to reinvest

Made a few phone calls today and have all 197bales of hay sold. Didn’t go mad with the asking price. Delivering it to 2 lads and 1 collecting his own. I am happy to have it all accounted for now. I don’t see the point asking a high price and not selling it and putting it in the shed to sell for only a few euro extra

Had you good weather last week to be able to bale yesterday, I am a couple hours North of you and last Mon to Thu it basically rained all day every day
Weather last week wasn't great with us either, the farmer was very keen to make hay cus he has customers for it, last Tuesday was dry with us so I cut 37 acres it started to rain before I finished the last field. The farmer was a little worried I said say 3 rosaries every nite. It rained all Tuesday nite and all Wednesday and Wednesday nite bit of showers and drying on Thursday, we put two 4 rotor Tedders on it after lunch on Friday the fields are all beside the sea so serious drying. Tedded the 37 acres twice Saturday and twice Sunday 6 acres was fit Sunday evening baled that. Tedded everything again Monday raked it all, put 2 balers on it after lunch Monday by evening we made 435 bales of hay. Easy peasy. ( to say it was stressful is a understatement)

Weather last week wasn't great with us either, the farmer was very keen to make hay cus he has customers for it, last Tuesday was dry with us so I cut 37 acres it started to rain before I finished the last field. The farmer was a little worried I said say 3 rosaries every nite. It rained all Tuesday nite and all Wednesday and Wednesday nite bit of showers and drying on Thursday, we put two 4 rotor Tedders on it after lunch on Friday the fields are all beside the sea so serious drying. Tedded the 37 acres twice Saturday and twice Sunday 6 acres was fit Sunday evening baled that. Tedded everything again Monday raked it all, put 2 balers on it after lunch Monday by evening we made 435 bales of hay. Easy peasy. ( to say it was stressful is a understatement)
Good service that

I got asked by a guy today who has 4ac of grass who wants to make some hay for a few horses his parents have what fert should he spread. I have no idea of index as it's not mine and when I asked him he didn't even know what I was talking about.
I'm assuming something with a small amount of N and enough P and K to account for off take. Anyone any suggestions.

Back