High speed starter motors.

MF30

Hi all, just got a high speed starter for the Ford 6640 here as it is tough to crank when temps are below zero. Anyway I got it from a reputable dealer but when it arrived it had no name on it and a test report. Cost €200 and is 4.2kw. Fitted it and it's worse than useless. Definitely no better that original. Battery is fine, extra earth lead fitted etc so not my fault. It's going back to dealer but has anyone seen one like it before? Also what make should I be looking for instead? Picture of my old starter included for reference.image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
Thanks.
MF30.

Think that's an Evercraft starter from Gdansk,Poland. I would go for a Letrika(Iskra) or possibly a Bosch. Did you try 2 batteries in parallel? A lot of the bigger 40 series needed 2 batteries when the hours got high,even with a geared starter. Maybe yours does too....

As said Iskra/Letrika (now called Mahle) is what you need. That looks like a copycat version.
You should see a major improvement with a high speed starter.

Think that's an Evercraft starter from Gdansk,Poland. I would go for a Letrika(Iskra) or possibly a Bosch. Did you try 2 batteries in parallel? A lot of the bigger 40 series needed 2 batteries when the hours got high,even with a geared starter. Maybe yours does too....
If I put jump leads on at minus 2 degrees she'll start fine. At plus 2 degrees she'll crank fine herself. But it's 6 degrees now and this geared motor is pathetic. Got a Lucas geared starter a few years ago for the fergie diesel here and it transformed it instantly. The one I got for the 6640 does what it says on the tin- nothing!
MF30

As said Iskra/Letrika (now called Mahle) is what you need. That looks like a copycat version.
You should see a major improvement with a high speed starter.
Will be returning this tomorrow and will see can he supply what you suggest. He did assure me this was a great job and when I phoned him he was surprised but I should have known when there wasn't even a manufacturers stamp on it...
MF30

Will be returning this tomorrow and will see can he supply what you suggest. He did assure me this was a great job and when I phoned him he was surprised but I should have known when there wasn't even a manufacturers stamp on it...
MF30

We put a lucas one on our old digger it is unreal to start on a cold morning even when stone cold

It was a Lucas hi speed starter I fitted to our Ferguson but when I phoned that supplier he said he doesn't sell starters any more. It was a fine big starter too, not like the slim one I got for the Ford.
MF30

Got a geared one no idea what make from local auto electrian, For the 8210 and it’s some starter -3 or 4 the other morning and first whip she’s off, never before it was always leads on a cold morning good value for €120

Has anyone found these geared ones to not last that long? put one on next doors TR250 and it only lasted about 18 months, wouldn't have big use either, just unlucky perhaps.
Fair do's it did put it to start though!

Has anyone found these geared ones to not last that long? put one on next doors TR250 and it only lasted about 18 months, wouldn't have big use either, just unlucky perhaps.
Fair do's it did put it to start though!
Was it a no label starter too? If something was any good the manufacturer should be proud to put their name to it.
MF30

Was it a no label starter too? If something was any good the manufacturer should be proud to put their name to it.
MF30
I can't recall a name on it now tbh, says it all really. It seems all too easy to end up with a poorer quality item nowadays.

The starter went on my old Fendt 8 years ago.Phoned the Dealer who wanted €1000 for a new one. After i picked myself up I went to the local auto electrician who recon' ed it for €135.
It packed up again last month so I went back and he did the same thing again. Told me those old Bosch starters can be redone over and over.

The starter went on my old Fendt 8 years ago.Phoned the Dealer who wanted €1000 for a new one. After i picked myself up I went to the local auto electrician who recon' ed it for €135.
It packed up again last month so I went back and he did the same thing again. Told me those old Bosch starters can be redone over and over.
My own starter is fine until sub zero conditions and I've survived until now but local Ford mechanic told me the most of them were either replaced or modified shortly in the first few years. Almost all 40 series Fords around here are on high speed starters now. No problem starting mine in very cold weather if I have normal cranking speed, only 3000 hours on it now.
MF30

My 7740 needs a new battery every 3 years or so, starts the finest until the temp drops to near enough zero, it could be idle for a month in summer and goes first tip but the last battery I put in it just over a year ago wouldn't start it in December a week after being fitted, stick the charger on it for 10 minutes and away she goes same as mid summer, battery is just over a year old now and the same crack of needing 10 minutes of the charger if the temp is at zero or under, it will then start same as summer time even with the charger disconnected and no heater circuit, it strikes me that the battery is the culprit and that it's cold cranking capacity isn't up to scratch.

My own starter is fine until sub zero conditions and I've survived until now but local Ford mechanic told me the most of them were either replaced or modified shortly in the first few years. Almost all 40 series Fords around here are on high speed starters now. No problem starting mine in very cold weather if I have normal cranking speed, only 3000 hours on it now.
MF30
You put this up while I was typing, mine's a '95, what year is yours ? , I have normal cranking speed by giving the few minutes on the charger first.

Off topic sorry but jasus 1k for a starter.
Do you find Fendt parts are always crazy money?

If you fit a 640 battery instead of a 663 normal tractor battery.
I've no idea what battery goes into them but the 640 has a lot higher cca

Off topic sorry but jasus 1k for a starter.
Do you find Fendt parts are always crazy money?
No sometimes they are a good bit lower than expected and occasionelly genuine are cheaper than spurious but from time to time they make you gasp.(as starter).
On the other hand I priced a cab roof a year ago . Main dealer asked €800. For curiosity I rang a JD dealer to see what a 3050 SG2 roof would be. It was €2000.

My 7740 needs a new battery every 3 years or so, starts the finest until the temp drops to near enough zero, it could be idle for a month in summer and goes first tip but the last battery I put in it just over a year ago wouldn't start it in December a week after being fitted, stick the charger on it for 10 minutes and away she goes same as mid summer, battery is just over a year old now and the same crack of needing 10 minutes of the charger if the temp is at zero or under, it will then start same as summer time even with the charger disconnected and no heater circuit, it strikes me that the battery is the culprit and that it's cold cranking capacity isn't up to scratch.

I was replacing the battery in the Ts115 every 2-3 years, usually have to jump start it after the first year, tractor only has 3400 hours so it could go 6 weeks without starting I was so impressed by the starter above that I put in the 6410 that I got one for the 115, it was actually smaller wattage than the one in the 6410, no problems since, this is its 3rd winter starts first time, spinning the engine quicker makes a big difference, and that's on a very low houred tractor.

Your symptoms are identical to mine, a 1994 model. Starter is the problem if it can't deliver normal speed on a fresh battery below temps. My battery is 9 years old but tests out fine and I even tried the new starter today with a new battery, no different. Local contractor who ran a fleet of them years ago changed all starters and that cured it. I just wasn't expecting to buy a dud high speed starter so now I want a quality one. Will see what supplier has to say/offer in the morning.
MF30

Your symptoms are identical to mine, a 1994 model. Starter is the problem if it can't deliver normal speed on a fresh battery below temps. My battery is 9 years old but tests out fine and I even tried the new starter today with a new battery, no different. Local contractor who ran a fleet of them years ago changed all starters and that cured it. I just wasn't expecting to buy a dud high speed starter so now I want a quality one. Will see what supplier has to say/offer in the morning.
MF30
If I give the battery a tickle of the charger and even after disconnecting the charger it will deliver normal speed irrespective of the temp being zero or under, I haven't tested the battery and really if I was going to test it I should do it when the temp is at zero or under and not on a day I know I won't have a problem, if it proves to be a dud it's still under warranty, if it's OK then it's either fit a second battery or a high speed starter.

Back