Holiday off the beaten track?

Ó hÉidin

Herself is at me to go on hoilday, i'm not really into holidays and she's not into beaches or resorts, so looking for something a bit different, both open minded, budget as close to 1k per person as possible, less ideally as i don't see the point but i'm just going along with it but for something different outside of europe and tourist hotspots i think it'll be tight.

As i say open minded so lets hear your suggestions.

Herself is at me to go on hoilday, i'm not really into holidays and she's not into beaches or resorts, so looking for something a bit different, both open minded, budget as close to 1k per person as possible, less ideally as i don't see the point but i'm just going along with it but for something different outside of europe and tourist hotspots i think it'll be tight.

zimbabwe

Mountain climbing in Afghanistan :thumbup:

afghanistan-patrol_2.jpg

I guess you are looking for a week away so 1k won't go far between accommodation and flights.

Switzerland is very nice - in particular Zurich in my view - had a very pleasant 3 hours walking around the various sites and lakes two years ago.

Is the Highlands too close for you - my boss went there for 10 days and thoroughly enjoyed it.

would Switzerland not be wild dear?

you happy enuf to go somewhere in europe o heidin, or you looking outside it?

prague isnt a bad place, nice n cheap last time i was there.
or italy, its a bit dearer, but from what i seen, its about the same as here.
i really like italy and the folks there.
croatia is another nice place.
yrs ago we took a one way flight to the dam, stayed a few days and trained it through europe, stayed in hostels, that id be a rare enuf one for me tbh, but i must say, they were spotless over there.
iirc we stayed in prague for something like €3 a night in hostel, communal bathrooms but hey ho, it was cheap.
an unforgettable holiday tbh,

How about a cruise?

Iceland? Hot springs, volcanoes! But smells of sulphur!

There's so many countries, but you might need to up budget?

But I'd love to go to Japan.
China, great wall hong kong etc
Vietnam. Can't remember the bay but lots of people highly rate Vietnam.
India.
states- route 66?
Scandanavia, fjords, northern lights.

Even though you say outside Europe, I'd interrail across it?
But then you have seen most of the world!
You should be telling us?

would Switzerland not be wild dear?

you happy enuf to go somewhere in europe o heidin, or you looking outside it?

prague isnt a bad place, nice n cheap last time i was there.
or italy, its a bit dearer, but from what i seen, its about the same as here.
i really like italy and the folks there.
croatia is another nice place.
yrs ago we took a one way flight to the dam, stayed a few days and trained it through europe, stayed in hostels, that id be a rare enuf one for me tbh, but i must say, they were spotless over there.
iirc we stayed in prague for something like €3 a night in hostel, communal bathrooms but hey ho, it was cheap.
an unforgettable holiday tbh,

Ideally outside europe, i've travelled most of Europe and a substantial part of outside it. a lot of africa, eastern europe and asia. but i by no means have seen it all.

i'm thinking japan. i got a feeling tourism may have taken a hit there.

i really didn't like prague, a very crooked country that thrives on the drugs and sex trade, i went to bratislava which i was told was similar but found it much nicer.

Id say scandanavia as well.
Lovely scenery and the people couldnt do enough to help you. It might be a bit dear though?
Only drove in it twice but if i had a choice to live elsewhere in europe thats where i would head:thumbup:

Austria or Germany would be my choice.
Germany for the cities and engineering
Austria for the incredible scenery and lakes so clear they make bottled look manky.
Also both of them love the Irish for some reason...

Another vote for Austria.
If you're into walking how about visiting Innsbruck and Tirol region.
There are some fab huts (hostel/hotels) to stay at in the mountains.

I like the north of Italy, we've stayed around lake garda several times, always good. Lake Lugano was also good but very quiet. Outside europe I would say Ottowa or Alberta in Canada or northern California, but flights would probably use your whole budget unless your lucky with dates.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

What do you want to do..??

if you fancy a bit of "mountain walking" with some wild camping or staying in mountain huts get your self online and look at the GR20 route in corsica, best done from south to north in my experience having done it both ways.. easily follwed paths (with a compass a map and the knowledge to use said implements of course in case the weather claggs in),

or hire a camper drive round scotland or eire or where ever, or a canal boat..

would recommend not going to afghan bin there ( a few times) and it not all its cracked up to be !!!!:sweatdrop:

Back