HSA random farm inspection

greenhorn

hsa inspector arrived unannounced today at the farm for an inspection. i knew that this could happen but never heard of anyone elese havin an inspection. in fairness to him he was sound and he was happy with the farm. have to update the safety statement and he will call back in a months time to check it. anyone else have an inspection. it can only be a good thing that these are takin place:thumbup:

Never had one but I wouldn't mind to much if a lad did come in. Much prefer it to a cross compliance inspection.

Yup, had one about 18 months ago. Had a few nick nacks to tidy up and had to get the ESB to move power lines. Was sound enough, but not to be ignored all the same.

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

how much authority do they have if dealing with a one man band setup? of course we should all strive to be extra careful

how much authority do they have if dealing with a one man band setup? of course we should all strive to be extra careful

They have more rights than the Gardai, they don't need a search warrant to come in and look around.

With out sounding like a doom monger . Ignore a health n safety inspectorate report at your peril.
"We" have had a few over the years at the home farm, in general the inspectors are very fair honest people, they are there to help you,, not shut you down, as one said to our guvnor a few years back, " I'd rather come here see some thing dodgy and get you to sort it,,, than come here after, you your son worker etc had lost a leg or worse .......
That's the rub, they give you. Some advice and u fail to change it and summat goes wrong,,, man you are in a world of pain,,,,

Usually though they will let you know you are due an inspection,,

I ave had a few of those inspections, they are grand as long as they see you are making a effort. They have a lot of power so be nice to them if they come.

They have more rights than the Gardai, they don't need a search warrant to come in and look around.

thats grand, but how much enforcement rights do they have with an owner operator that doesnt go outside the front gate with machinery?

thats grand, but how much enforcement rights do they have with an owner operator that doesnt go outside the front gate with machinery?

I'm not sure how they go about enforcing, but I know they stopped a man and made him unhook from his own slurry tanker on his own farm until he got his PTO shaft protection in order.

i dont see how it wud matter if the farmer uses his machinery on his own farm or on hire. will the pto shaft kno wat farm it is on :0

I'm not sure how they go about enforcing, but I know they stopped a man and made him unhook from his own slurry tanker on his own farm until he got his PTO shaft protection in order.

too right if ya ask me. i had no problem wit the visit today. only lads yad hear complainin about it are the lads wit no covers on ptos and no fences around slurry pits etc

I just taught that if you want to put your own life at risk they cant do much about it. I think im fairly safe here - apart from that cracked aluminum ladder I have :no:. But probably do loads of stupid things even though all machinery is safe. Jump started a tractor today that is probably a big no no

I just taught that if you want to put your own life at risk they cant do much about it. I think im fairly safe here - apart from that cracked aluminum ladder I have :no:. But probably do loads of stupid things even though all machinery is safe. Jump started a tractor today that is probably a big no no

father was at a hse "meeting" few months back and was told it was illegal to use an ordinary house hold ladder for farm work, had to be grade 3 or something, crazy if you ask me, could use a ladder to go on house roof and all is fine but if use same ladder to get on to farm building roof, then breaking the law!

Had inspection last year, no major problems just had to put up a few signs at field gates where livestock were grazing. Had to update safety statement and install earth rod for the mains fencer. It's no harm to have a fresh pair of eyes look over the place as things can be overlooked due to familiarity.
Inspector was ok to deal with.

Are you sure it was the HSE and not someone casein the joint :eek:

Would any farmer know what a HSE indentity card looked like

just a word of warning to these "unannounced inspections"

I am sure all was above board in this case............

Big things are electric switches, pto covers, tractor handbrake, safety notice at entrance and statement. Slurry tank fenced off and dangerous chemicals stored behind lock and key. I have a ramp with a 5 foot drop which they wanted fenced off. A lot of the stuff you are suppose to have right.

They have the right to stop you and if you dont comply they can call the garda and have you arrested. If they bring you to court then lots of $$$$$.

i dont see how it wud matter if the farmer uses his machinery on his own farm or on hire. will the pto shaft kno wat farm it is on :0

too right if ya ask me. i had no problem wit the visit today. only lads yad hear complainin about it are the lads wit no covers on ptos and no fences around slurry pits etc

Ah, look, the HSA are not there to cause a nuisance for farmers, we have the department of ag for that. If you lost someone close to you from a farm accident, you would wish that the HSA would have pointed out the risk and prevented it from happening in the first place.
I know it's not nice having someone walking in around your private property telling you what to do, but there has been far too many avoidable accidents on farms.

As the lads have said before hsa can and do come unannounced unless something is a major health risk they will give you a list to sort and a time to have it done in. Been on a few farms sorting electrics and once thing are up to scratch they are happy. They can have your farm shut down if it's a serious problem. It's been in other work place's for years but they are cracking down on farms now as it has a large injury and unfortunately death count especially in the last few years in comparison with other sectors

tbh if they turn up here and start nit picking and laying down the law then id probably just say screw it and sell the place, the way things are going with regs its becoming more bother than its worth. theres plenty ways to risk your life in this world i dodnt see how its any business of govt if your not risking anyone elses.

was at a safety course last week, the chat came up about farm inspections.
as already said, they have a lot of power.
if the inspector finds defective equipemnt he will give you paperwork to say as much and a time limit to sort it out.
if he deems it to be, shal we say, life threatening, then he will shut things down until its sorted.
if you decide to ignore him, and he/she finds you did, then its a criminal offence.
iirc, the instructor said that if that happened, and after consideration, the file would be handed over to the dpp. and its off to court for a few days.

loads of reading here.
http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Your_Industry/Agriculture/#tra

@Stock is our resident safety man, he would know a lot more.

tbh if they turn up here and start nit picking and laying down the law then id probably just say screw it and sell the place, the way things are going with regs its becoming more bother than its worth. theres plenty ways to risk your life in this world i dodnt see how its any business of govt if your not risking anyone elses.
still tho, its no harm to keep things in shape and as safe as possible.

im delighted to see so many agreeing that its not a bad thing to get an inspection.
i try to keep things in order here, but as said, a fresh face might be no harm.
im sure ill get inspected some day, and im sure it kind of feels like you have to go to the headmasters office, but if it saves a life, then its no bad thing i guess.
but, a common sense approach would be better job then having to have a certain grade of ladder too.

thats a bit of a bad attitude towards safety. ok fair enough if u dont mind riskin ur own life but wat about the risk u are imposing on other people that may come in contact wit ur machinery or farm??

thats a bit of a bad attitude towards safety. ok fair enough if u dont mind riskin ur own life but wat about the risk u are imposing on other people that may come in contact wit ur machinery or farm??

Also that by subjecting yourself to such risk you may unfortunately subject your family and friends to pain and suffering...

I dont really think the inspections are the worst thing in the world. Was one here years ago when i was younger, and there were a few bits to tidy up/sort out but to be honest as a result we've done out best to keep it that way.

On a slight side note but is related, dont bord bia look for safety statements now as part of there inspections now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also that by subjecting yourself to such risk you may unfortunately subject your family and friends to pain and suffering...

I dont really think the inspections are the worst thing in the world. Was one here years ago when i was younger, and there were a few bits to tidy up/sort out but to be honest as a result we've done out best to keep it that way.

On a slight side note but is related, dont bord bia look for safety statements now as part of there inspections now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have done so for a while past, last3 inspections here have requested safety statment.

Back