I have gone sale agreed on ten acres of forestry-

Discussion in 'Forestry' started by HEX Heifer, May 15, 2019.

1. HEX Heifer

HEX Heifer Active Member

Hi I have gone sale agreed on a 10 acres of forestry, the main reason is its has an existing lane, and with a bit of work that will join my main block to another block we have.

The forest is a mix of young and mature trees, with some huge ash and beech in it too.
    I have a romantic notion of being able to harvest the forest (1/2 acre a year) to heat the house, water etc.
    We have a big draughty house and its crazy expensive to heat. I have no intention in clear felling the land, and i'm getting no sub on it. The lane is the reason to buy it, I see the firewood as a great bonus.

I wont need to cut anything this year or next as there is a lot of dead fall and i'd pull a lot of that out with a ferguson 20.

Any thoughts, good or bad?

2. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Well-Known Member

You will need to apply for a felling licence if you are harvesting more than a certain amount per year, but otherwise sounds like a grand idea. I love a few trees, 10 acres is more than a few!

Rather than harvesting in blocks you should read up on continous cover forestry which might suit better https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/crops/forestry/advice/Continuous-Cover-Forest-Management.pdf

Also get yourself over to the forestry forum on boards.ie, some real tree nerds in there.

jay gatsby likes this.
  3. HEX Heifer

HEX Heifer Active Member

Thanks thats interesting, ccf is a more thought out version of what I'm thinking.

I have a 30kw henley stove i got as a wedding present sitting in a box a few years, it will be roaring come december.

How do i find out the max allowed cut without a licence.

4. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Well-Known Member

5. muckymanor

muckymanor Well-Known Member

If its sika, you'll want to be drying wood almost 2 years in advance. ie Wood that you cut in the first quarter of 2019 shouldn't be burned until the last quarter 2020 - that way you'll have no problem with creosote build up in chimneys. Good luck with it. It's something that I have in mind to do too!

6. HEX Heifer

HEX Heifer Active Member

i walked with a mate who is a tree surgoen, its a mix of sika, ash, beech, some oak, alder and some laurel on the boundaries.

It's been there a long while as it appears in old land regsitry maps we have of our place.

7. muckymanor

muckymanor Well-Known Member

Sounds like an excellent mix for firewood!

8. HEX Heifer

HEX Heifer Active Member

I walked it last night again with the wife, a lot more trees are down that I thought.
    Its going to transform the farm, instead of walking cattle down the road, it will be a one man job to move them.

nashmach, ShaneB140, hanixman and 9 others like this.
  9. kverneland es 80

kverneland es 80 Well-Known Member

best of luck with it .

Mf240 likes this.
  10. hanixman

hanixman Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good buy, when you cut the timber over time will you need to plant more to replace them or can you maybe do like what johnboys thread mentions and use it as agroforesty?

11. HEX Heifer

HEX Heifer Active Member

Its not cheap but it makes the farm, i see the trees as a bonus.
    My tree surgeon mate advised me to plant quickish growing native hardwoods.