Ibc tanker trailer.

nick

Ive been asked to make a trailer for carrying an ibc tank full of water.

Will it not be horrid unstable with water in an ibc

Any one any ideas on

1 how to cure this?
2 what size steel?

Any one any ideas on

1 how to cure this?
2 what size steel?
2 axles would probably be best,. Not a whole lot different to a bulk milk tank I guess and they did plenty of mileage over the years.
Legally, you will need braking ... :Whistle2:

Any one any ideas on

1 how to cure this?
2 what size steel?
I've made over 50 mobile water troughs with an IBC as a tank. Made them out of cut down drill frames. Commercial axles and tyres a must as the IBC will weigh just over a ton full. No springs are also a must. There will be adequate bounce from the tyres at 30 psi with a full tank. Axle is mounted almost at rear of tank for to put enough weight on drawbar. 6x3 channel iron as main frame with 70mm angles up the four corners of the tank. I must have a photo on file somewhere but will have a root around. There's a photo I posted here on a power washer thread where I made one to carry a power washer if anyone can copy and paste it over to here.
MF30

I've made over 50 mobile water troughs with an IBC as a tank. Made them out of cut down drill frames. Commercial axles and tyres a must as the IBC will weigh just over a ton full. No springs are also a must. There will be adequate bounce from the tyres at 30 psi with a full tank. Axle is mounted almost at rear of tank for to put enough weight on drawbar. 6x3 channel iron as main frame with 70mm angles up the four corners of the tank. I must have a photo on file somewhere but will have a root around. There's a photo I posted here on a power washer thread where I made one to carry a power washer if anyone can copy and paste it over to here.
MF30

Would you like to make another one :)

Would you like to make another one :)
No thanks, I'm run out of frames at the moment! As regards suspension some of mine have been towed over 20 miles to their new home empty with no complaints and the frame is heavy enough and wide enough to be stable enough. I'd always advise against travelling above 30kph for long distances as the agri spec bearings etc are not designed for motorway use! I'm not impressed with the ones I see on DD the odd time with car wheels, springs and the axle mounted in the middle of a light box iron frame. Car wheels and tyres are simply not suitable for such weights and the whole assembly is too light for to be carrying a ton of water. An old 4x4 axle with 16" wheels should be fine though.
MF30

It very much depends what its to be used for.
For short runs to a field with water, anything will do, if its on the road a lot and doing longer journeys (like power washing or something) 30kph wont cut it, nor will a solid axle imo.
Trailer wheels available up to 950kg capacity so that wouldnt be a problem even with one axle.
My view would be that if its for watering cattle etc, make it as MF30 suggests above, if its for a purpose that involves regular roadwork, buy a S/H 8x4 Ifor Williams or similar and put the IBC into it.
At least he will be legal if stopped by the law.

Last edited:
MF30

How do you manage the coupling of the IBC to the water trough MF30?

Looking to do something similar here with two IBCs on a diet feeder chassis but need to sort an axle first.

Looking to do something similar here with two IBCs on a diet feeder chassis but need to sort an axle first.
Get a water tank outlet fitting, drill a hole on a flat area beside tap on IBC, feed the fitting through the lid of IBC on a long rod and push through hole. Fit a rubber seal each side of the fitting so it seals well. Then fit a half inch qualpex pipe to outlet and fit a tap or lever valve between tank and trough. On the trough ballcock remove internal white high pressure cone and fit a red low pressure cone otherwise it'll take forever to fill trough. Don't forget to use inserts on qualpex pipe. I linked both tanks together with a T fitting before the tap when making doubles so they'll fill and empty together.
By the way I used a straight lorry axle as you need the bottom of the tanks to be above or level with the top of the trough so depending on the depth of your chassis a front axle might be too low, I used 900x20 wheels.
MF30

Last edited:
IMG_0386.JPG IMG_0387.JPG

Here's a double I made Nash, a dungspreader chassis and a few scaffold pipes and angle irons. I'm just highlighting the need for a full height axle to get the trough to the correct height. The bottom of the trough is around 6 inches off the ground. Pipework hasn't been fitted yet.
MF30

View attachment 55316 View attachment 55317
Here's a double I made Nash, a dungspreader chassis and a few scaffold pipes and angle irons. I'm just highlighting the need for a full height axle to get the trough to the correct height. The bottom of the trough is around 6 inches off the ground. Pipework hasn't been fitted yet.
MF30

Got you :Thumbp2:, it's main use would be for the sprayer and power washing rather than water for stock thats why I'd be a bit more flexible.

Fine job, was similar I was thinking of in my head.

I'm surprised you got no bit of a MF30 in there :laugh:

Crikey MF 30. That's a proper job. Mine was more sort of "blacksmith made" if you get my meaning. :lol:
View attachment 55316 View attachment 55317
MF30
Crikey MF 30. That's a proper job. Mine was more sort of "blacksmith made" if you get my meaning. :lol:

Had to rig this up to keep water to the cattle since the springs dryed up . Never have dryed up till this year .

Attachments

• 3D0680CE-CF6C-42B7-854F-209359801FCB.jpeg
    3D0680CE-CF6C-42B7-854F-209359801FCB.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 71
Back