Irish Grain Growers Association

FFS lads, do any of you really think that is going to happen? Seriously? The only reason Boortmalt is here is because Guinness insist on having a minimum quantity of Irish grain in their malt. That doesn't look like changing.
In many cases, they are essentially getting the barley for free, as the subsidy is all that some growers have out of it in years like this. I'm disappointed that many of you are focusing on a sign, and not more outraged at the fact that Boortmalt will not acknowledge the will of the majority of their growers, that is to NOT be represented by the IFA and have their contracts "negotiated" by them. If it makes you feel better, I'll suggest to the IGGA that the offending sign be removed from further demonstrations.

Maybe I'm missing something, but IF Boormalt were to pull out then where would the big money contracts for malting barley come from?

Big money contracts ?
Sat down the other day to review my costs for the year. After taking in the extra expenses for growing malt such as more expensive seed and transport but not counting yield loss for trying to get my 30% low protein barley my malt made €3.75 a tonne over what I got for my feed barley.
I always supported Boortmalt as much as I could but I'm getting fed up of this.
No one wants Boortmalt to leave but as a grower at the moment financially it wouldn't make much difference.
As a partner in the malt industry we need to be treated fairly !

Big money contracts ?
Sat down the other day to review my costs for the year. After taking in the extra expenses for growing malt such as more expensive seed and transport but not counting yield loss for trying to get my 30% low protein barley my malt made €3.75 a tonne over what I got for my feed barley.
No one wants Boortmalt to leave but as a grower at the moment financially it wouldn't make much difference.
I have no doubt that the IGGA have their heart in the right place, and I fully understand their frustration at a lack of adequate representation from the IFA, but I find it a most peculiar approach to be holding a demonstration calling for higher prices from a particular company whilst holding placards suggesting that same company exit the market altogether. Hence my question, if they want more money who will pay it if Boormalt were to pull out? I have nothing against the IGGA, desperate times call for desperate measures, but between that and the dubious method of calculating a viable price for barley I'd respectfully suggest they take a slightly more measured approach to setting out their stall and give people a more solid agenda to get behind. I fully understand it's a voluntary organisation, just my take on it looking in from the outside.

I have no doubt that the IGGA have their heart in the right place, and I fully understand their frustration at a lack of adequate representation from the IFA, but I find it a most peculiar approach to be holding a demonstration calling for higher prices from a particular company whilst holding placards suggesting that same company exit the market altogether. Hence my question, if they want more money who will pay it if Boormalt were to pull out? I have nothing against the IGGA, desperate times call for desperate measures, but between that and the dubious method of calculating a viable price for barley I'd respectfully suggest they take a slightly more measured approach to setting out their stall and give people a more solid agenda to get behind. I fully understand it's a voluntary organisation, just my take on it looking in from the outside.
Jesus Christ @Tippcon , forget the sign. Maybe it's a little ill judged, but no where in their media pack or any statements that they have released have they asked for Boortmalt to exit the malting barley industry. I'm assuming it was there just for the shock factor. The only time it has been queried is here on the forum, but it has been taken on board and it won't be displayed at further demonstrations if I have anything to do with it.

Big money contracts ?
Likewise I'm a long time Boortmalt malting barley grower and this year got more for my feed barley than malting.
For feeding barley Glanbia paid €147 collected in my yard while Boortmalt paid €155 less €6.50 the haulage cost and the seed they forced me to purchase cost me €4.50 extra per ton of barley delivered to them. None of the above takes account of the risk of loads failing and being paid €140/ton less the haulage costs
I've been reducing the acreage I grow for them will continue to do so. Anybody foolish enough to take up such contracts is welcome to do so.

Jesus Christ @Tippcon , forget the sign. Maybe it's a little ill judged, but no where in their media pack or any statements that they have released have they asked for Boortmalt to exit the malting barley industry. I'm assuming it was there just for the shock factor. The only time it has been queried is here on the forum, but it has been taken on board and it won't be displayed at further demonstrations if I have anything to do with it.
I didn't bring it up, I was only giving an opinion, and it's been the most prominent sign in the photos from the demonstrations so far. That's as far as most people will go, they won't dissect any media packs. There is such a thing as constructive criticism, as I said a couple of times I have nothing against the IGGA and understand their position, is this thread for discussion or propaganda :scratchhead:

I didn't bring it up, I was only giving an opinion, and it's been the most prominent sign in the photos from the demonstrations so far. That's as far as most people will go, they won't dissect any media packs. There is such a thing as constructive criticism, as I said a couple of times I have nothing against the IGGA and understand their position, is this thread for discussion or propaganda :scratchhead:
It's the only point that has been discussed and I feel it has been answered so why keep talking about it? There are far more important facets to the whole situation than this and I think it is just a distraction. The 2 growers that posted above speak from their own experiences and I feel that this is the message that need a to be got across rather than some confusion over a sign.

Last edited:
It's the only point that has been discussed and I feel it has been answered so why keep talking about it? There are far more important facets to the whole situation than this and I think it is just a distraction. The 2 growers that posted above speak from their own experiences and I feel that this is the message that need a to be got across rather than some confusion over a sign.
No hassle, I'm not going to fall out with anyone over It, I'll leave the discussion to the growers so :Thumbp2:

This came to mind:

Is it fair to say that Boortmalt made no statement at all on the previous protest, either condemning it or acknowledging it in some shape or form?

Also for today's protest, was there actually Anyone senior enough there to protest too, as far as I know Diageo HQ is in London?

No hassle, I'm not going to fall out with anyone over It, I'll leave the discussion to the growers so :Thumbp2:
That's not what I meant at all. I only mentioned it to lads at the demonstration today that the sign was a little confusing @Tippcon . The sentiment I was trying to get across (evidently badly) was that the growers up their don't consider losing their contracts the end of the world. In fact several said the reason they were there is because they "have nothing to lose anymore".
There seems to be this idea that Boortmalt are a reasonable company, but that is far from the case. A grower told us that he was warned "not to be seen in any photos today", to which he replied that he didn't give a f#*k anymore. Grower moral is desperately low at the moment and I just felt we were getting bogged down on a non issue.

This came to mind:

Is it fair to say that Boortmalt made no statement at all on the previous protest, either condemning it or acknowledging it in some shape or form?

Also for today's protest, was there actually Anyone senior enough there to protest too, as far as I know Diageo HQ is in London?
I'd be pretty confident there will be a few phone calls after today's demonstration. Guinness definitely don't want bad publicity outside a flagship tourist attraction.

That's not what I meant at all. I only mentioned it to lads at the demonstration today that the sign was a little confusing @Tippcon . The sentiment I was trying to get across (evidently badly) was that the growers up their don't consider losing their contracts the end of the world. In fact several said the reason they were there is because they "have nothing to lose anymore".
There seems to be this idea that Boortmalt are a reasonable company, but that is far from the case. A grower told us that he was warned "not to be seen in any photos today", to which he replied that he didn't give a f#*k anymore. Grower moral is desperately low at the moment and I just felt we were getting bogged down on a non issue.

While I completely support your protest, your sign writer needs the sack. Looking for Guinness to reduce the price of the pint is also a very poor stand to take.
Can you imagine the icmsa looking for a reduction in the price of cheese or yogurt?
It's the signs that make the headlines on the TV or newspapers.

While I completely support your protest, your sign writer needs the sack. Looking for Guinness to reduce the price of the pint is also a very poor stand to take.
Can you imagine the icmsa looking for a reduction in the price of cheese or yogurt?
It's the signs that make the headlines on the TV or newspapers.
I was at the meeting when one of the members suggested we ask for 10 cent off the price of Guinness, and a lot of lads including myself questioned the idea strongly! I have to admit though, it is the one thing that got the public talking and got a lot of otherwise disinterested media involved. The media and general public are sick of farmers looking for more money when they see us as leaching off them and Europe through subsidisation. By asking for something back for the average person we garnered far more support and got much better coverage.
I'll also say that it is very unlikely 10 cent will be taken off the price of a pint when the grower can't even get 0.1 of a cent off of them!
As I said, I'll be making sure the brexit sign will be removed from further protests, but I think this particular stance on the reduction on price of a pint will stay for the mean time.

Oh, and the signwriter can't be sacked as he is not being paid! No one is, it has all been donated by frustrated growers.

Last edited:
I think bringing the protest to Guinness was also the right move and the price of the pint is also a useful measure stick for media. As someone said Guinness value the supposed 'partnership' with farmers in their tour, a group of farmers protesting outside the door won't go unnoticed but it may have to be repeated.

Silent continued protest outside Guinness is the way to go. No point dealing with the monkey, if you can go straight to the organ grinder

Not a grower, we were one time but contract was withdrawn. I Think the tactic of going to Guinness directly is excellent. Newstalk (whom i would consider very urban focussed ) this morning took the time to explain the change in price of a pint since the 70's and the corresponding price of a ton of barley.
I also visited the brewery a few weeks ago so know the numbers passing by. Also there is massive focus in the tour about using Irish barley and the relationship with growers. While Guinness issue statements saying they don't determine farm prices you can be damn sure someone lifted the phone at least to boortmalt.

Well when Guinness ads are now about some tattooed guy rideing a horse around Detroit and drinking a pint in a rundown pub, you'd have to wonder what's it all about.

Back