Irrigation costs?

I was only thinking that yday, what's the shelf life of it? I had 8t tipped in the pit here the other day, will be through that in 2wks. How many ton in a full lorry load?

I was only thinking that yday, what's the shelf life of it? I had 8t tipped in the pit here the other day, will be through that in 2wks. How many ton in a full lorry load?

A full artic will be near 30t,soya hulls has a long shelf life,it's akin to cardboard! Good safe feed though.

Soon lads will start thinking of feeding the real cheap stuff, native barley, wheat or god forbid oats :scared:

How will the Bord Bia ‘greenwash’ green up the PKE and Soya hulls that are being shipped half way round the planet?

On another forum, a poster claimed that native grains were costing €300/t dm...I couldn’t be bothered correcting him.

Soon lads will start thinking of feeding the real cheap stuff, native barley, wheat or god forbid oats :scared:

What price is barley going to be this winter? I'm seeing whole dried barley advertised at €170 per ton this week. There's a lot of panic setting in with lads on drier land who are maybe down 30% with fodder. Our neighbour in Galway is running around like a headless chicken trying to buy feed. He bought bales of straw for €38 last week and he's willing to pay that for silage too. He's a full time farmer, we have a merchant that sells rolled barley only 2.5 miles from us. He has a bin for his tractor that can bring over half a ton. He has the time every morning and evening to throw out a few buckets of barley in order to stretch his silage. There will be plenty of barley - either irish or imported, and it will be much cheaper for him to buy it than to spend crazy money on silage.

On another forum, a poster claimed that native grains were costing €300/t dm...I couldn’t be bothered correcting him.
That's €255 at 15% moisture. That's stretching things even with transport and rolling included.

What price is barley going to be this winter? I'm seeing whole dried barley advertised at €170 per ton this week. There's a lot of panic setting in with lads on drier land who are maybe down 30% with fodder. Our neighbour in Galway is running around like a headless chicken trying to buy feed. He bought bales of straw for €38 last week and he's willing to pay that for silage too. He's a full time farmer, we have a merchant that sells rolled barley only 2.5 miles from us. He has a bin for his tractor that can bring over half a ton. He has the time every morning and evening to throw out a few buckets of barley in order to stretch his silage. There will be plenty of barley - either irish or imported, and it will be much cheaper for him to buy it than to spend crazy money on silage.
Where is that whole dried barley at 170 advertised? Barley could make at least 170 at 20% moisture plus vat and that’s what the merchants will be paying. Dry barley is over €200 at the moment

Green barley @20% will probably make 180 including vat off combine. Haul/dry/roll/haul/margin will see it at 230 on farm in artic loads I would think. Merchants will be slow with parting with native as they might be short from their own compounds

Green barley @20% will probably make 180 including vat off combine. Haul/dry/roll/haul/margin will see it at 230 on farm in artic loads I would think. Merchants will be slow with parting with native as they might be short from their own compounds
That's €287/tonne DM, getting close to the €300 mentioned earlier.

got to love a good salesman, ton bags that cant weigh a ton :laugh: would you get 600kgs in a cubic meter bag?

Barley ton bags are bigger than 1m3 I think. I have a 1m3 bin and it holds around 630kg of barley. There's a lot more in a bag from my merchant anyway - his ton bags are the 2 cubic meter bags in this pic

bulk-bags-bark.jpg

Fair enough but he did not say it was €170 per tonne either.

I'm only rising ya. I doubt if he's selling a ton at that price - there has to be some catch. We paid €215/ton from the merchant for the last bin in April. It'll be pushing €250 or €260 at least I expect this winter. Still cheaper than buying bales at €40/bale

I'm only rising ya. I doubt if he's selling a ton at that price - there has to be some catch. We paid €215/ton from the merchant for the last bin in April. It'll be pushing €250 or €260 at least I expect this winter. Still cheaper than buying bales at €40/bale

But we are going to have to buy 40% (guess, how low can we go for forage in a grain diet when just feeding for maintenance?) of the diet as forage for dry dairy cows, store cattle, sucklers

But we are going to have to buy 40% (guess, how low can we go for forage in a grain diet when just feeding for maintenance?) of the diet as forage for dry dairy cows, store cattle, sucklers
Up to 80% grain in the diet is what you can feed I think. Well that's what advisor told us last winter

Back